Post Match Everton 4 Leicester 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
The BBC have it as a goal per 170 minutes which is way worse than Olivier Giroud, on a par with Andy Carroll and better than Eden Hazard. What I am suggesting is that these types of statistics aren't representative of much to be fair. I've been very critical of Slimani but as of yet, I've seen nothing to show me that I'm hugely wrong. He's great in the air, after that I'm struggling to see anything that is better than average.

The guy hasn't been given a run or a set-up and he's still scoring goals. I'm aware players that come into a team with big prices are expected to slot in very quickly but he hasn't been given a chance. Everything I've seen from his appearances with us and from his time before joining us has made me think he's clearly the best striker we have. I'm hoping he's the featured attacker in our team next season.

The guy hasn't been given a run or a set-up and he's still scoring goals. I'm aware players that come into a team with big prices are expected to slot in very quickly but he hasn't been given a chance. Everything I've seen from his appearances with us and from his time before joining us has made me think he's clearly the best striker we have. I'm hoping he's the featured attacker in our team next season.
Ahead of Vardy or alongside?

....Everything I've seen from his appearances with us and from his time before joining us has made me think he's clearly the best striker we have...

This is bizzare. He's shown nothing to merit this in any way shape or form. Vardy bagged 24 PL goals last season and a record scoring run and has hit 10 this season so far with 4 assists not to mention CL goals but yeah, Slimani is much better.

Your negativity towards Vardy is now bordering on the ridiculous. I can only assume it is because of this insistance that he is/was lazy or lacked any effort, both of which are more than possibly fabricated scenarios. Indeed, several players and staff have spoken in the media about the tactical changes which allow Vardy to push much higher and chase down more 'lost causes' since CR's departure. It is no coincidence then that he now looks every bit as effective now as he did last season (for the most part at least!).

I am critical of Slimani yes, but not because I think he is completely useless, more because I really don't see the hype about him. I don't attach a particular expectation to a price tag so it isn't that, it's simply that he hasn't been any better than anyone else at all so far (well, perhaps Musa). He has shown himself to be useful, nothing more, nothing less. He's so clumsy with the ball at his feet it's untrue. I'd love to be proven wrong I really would but leaving out Okazaki or Vardy for Slimani would be managerial madness at the moment.

I think there are similarities between Vardy and Slimani. They're both highly capable players that can lead a forward line and be devastating at their best.

I don't think they can play together though.

After seeing Vardy back to his very best against Liverpool and Seville, I think he's back to coasting through games again. His recent performances have been average. Slimani has also shown us that he isn't consistent. He can be excellent and he can be really anonymous.

Maybe that's just the deal with talismanic strikers. Maybe they just need to pick and choose when to be their best. They're two of the top five players at the club though and we're very fortunate to have them both.

I always reckon internet experts make the best experts, because they have, like, YouTube and shit. Beats actually going to matches and watching players, which is why clubs don't bother sending scouts to games. Oh wait...

I think there are similarities between Vardy and Slimani. They're both highly capable players that can lead a forward line and be devastating at their best.

I don't think they can play together though.

After seeing Vardy back to his very best against Liverpool and Seville, I think he's back to coasting through games again. His recent performances have been average. Slimani has also shown us that he isn't consistent. He can be excellent and he can be really anonymous.

Maybe that's just the deal with talismanic strikers. Maybe they just need to pick and choose when to be their best. They're two of the top five players at the club though and we're very fortunate to have them both.
If he can score some average goals like those against Stoke and Sunderland, and add some poacher goals like the one against West Ham, I can accept average.

He coasted in the Everton game, but haven't seen any evidence of it prior to this?

To be fair most of our players bar Albrighton and Slimani coasted during the Everton match with a couple of players being non-existent.

I don't know what you expect of Vardy over and above what he currently contributes?

You fool yourself regarding your negativity towards Slimani, he has proven this year that he is more of a threat than any striker we have. His strike rate per minute is far better than any other striker. He scores with his head and his feet - his head is a WMD. He charges around the field defending from the front and all this in a team not set up to play to his strengths. In a Pulis team he could have bagged 75 goals this season (yes that is a ridiculous exageration). I'm not sure why you make up your negativity and fake news about him but you do and don't seem to be aware of it.

He's only 28, he's playing his first season in the prem, He has 7 goals although he's only been given 12 starts he's also scored a crucial goal in the Champion's league and bagged 2 international goals. Last season he bagged 32 goals. As a comparison Vardy managed 5 goals in his first season in the Prem as a 28 year old playing in many more games. Yet I'm the one who is being negative towards a player.

Vardy is playing great now but he's 31 next season and relies solely on his speed and acceleration I'll stick with my view that Slimani is the man to build the team around next season. I'm happy with Vardy being in the team - I hear he's a left winger but not sure he's better than Albrighton or Gray out there. :)

If he can score some average goals like those against Stoke and Sunderland, and add some poacher goals like the one against West Ham, I can accept average.

What about those 30 performances this year where he did sweet FA? Can you accept that average?

He coasted in the Everton game, but haven't seen any evidence of it prior to this?

To be fair most of our players bar Albrighton and Slimani coasted during the Everton match with a couple of players being non-existent.

I don't know what you expect of Vardy over and above what he currently contributes?

There's no excuse for that. If you intend to coast tell the coach and sit the game out.

I tend to watch Vardy more than any other player because I think that he sets the tempo of the side. When he starts full on and energetically, I'm always confident.

Vardy has coasted through every game since Seville. Yes, he's scored goals and done some good things in that time, but that's not what I mean. I maintain that he's not at the fitness level that he was last season and so simply cannot apply himself in that way two games a week. That's why I'd play him once a week and make him give his all each time. Any more than that and he's a different player and far less influential. When we have someone like Slimani sitting on the bench, we can rotate them and still be a threat.

On Wednesday night, if Vardy starts like a raving lunatic haring around, then I'll fancy our chances. He's that significant to us. But it was utter madness playing him at Everton. I'm sure it was Vardy that wanted to play, and I'm sure he'd be a nightmare to leave out, but that's what a manager is there for.

I tend to watch Vardy more than any other player because I think that he sets the tempo of the side. When he starts full on and energetically, I'm always confident.

Vardy has coasted through every game since Seville. Yes, he's scored goals and done some good things in that time, but that's not what I mean. I maintain that he's not at the fitness level that he was last season and so simply cannot apply himself in that way two games a week. That's why I'd play him once a week and make him give his all each time. Any more than that and he's a different player and far less influential. When we have someone like Slimani sitting on the bench, we can rotate them and still be a threat.

On Wednesday night, if Vardy starts like a raving lunatic haring around, then I'll fancy our chances. He's that significant to us. But it was utter madness playing him at Everton. I'm sure it was Vardy that wanted to play, and I'm sure he'd be a nightmare to leave out, but that's what a manager is there for.
I too, tend to watch him closely at the moment as I really wanted to see whether I've been mistaken about him this season. I havent. You're just wrong on so many counts. He hasn't 'coasted' through any game since Seville with, perhaps the exception of Everton and as I've reiterated countless times I'm not convinced he 'coasted' through games earlier in the season. I absolutley agree he shouldn't have played against Everton and it genuinely did feel as though he was holding back for fear of injury or burn-out. I also agree he must be an absolute nightmare to drop!

He's been exceptional over the last five or six games though and was, arguably, only ineffective before because of managerial tactical ineptitude. There's no comparison to any other forward we have at the moment. He scores goals, he creates chances, he hassles defences into mistakes. I don't know what more some of you want from him.

You fool yourself regarding your negativity towards Slimani....I'm not sure why you make up your negativity and fake news about him but you do and don't seem to be aware of it.....

What? How can I 'fool myself' as to what I am negative about? Do I 'fool myself' into thinking I don't like Brie when in fact I must love it really? How can anyone's negativity towards anything be 'made up'? Do I 'make up' my dislike of Ant and Dec whilst internalizing my passionate love of them? What are you talking about when you suggest 'fake news'? I've not given you any 'news' about Slimani or anyone else. Had I stated as fact that he was being lazy and putting in no effort because he wanted the manager gone without any evidence of such, that would be 'fake news'. None of this makes any sense at all.

You clearly didn't read the rest so I'll not reiterate in full. Only to say that I gave my reasons for disagreeing with you about Slimani being better than Vardy. I also gave my reasons for being critical of Slimani whilst maintaining that I don't think he is useless, just over hyped by some. I will gladly change my critique of him as and when I see more control and efficiency in his play. You're absolutely right when you say he charges around; this, however is symptomatic of the problem not justification of the cure.

Vardy will be sold for his sin of lack of effort.

Clearly you have been watching different games, too many city fans mistake effort for ability Vardy has tons of ability and effort. The suggestion that Vardy has coasted is lamentable at best. The difference is when he lines up with Shinji he can press the play because he knows Shinji will hunt the ball with him.

At the beginning of the season he was closing the play then looking over his shoulder and looking at a 10-20m gap direct to his defence. He obviously realised very quickly he was wasting his time and energy closing players down. You will notice Shakey has virtually said the same thing hence we have gone back to how we set up last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566