Everton

Difficult to know what the board could have done during the season. Admittedly, Whelan in goal would probably have been better than Ward but Rudkin up front..... I dunno ;)

Nah, seriously. Everyone across the country was saying that squad was good enough to stay up. And objectively, it should have been. The board's biggest mistake was perhaps 'keeping the faith' for longer than it should have. They gambled and lost. I believe money, or more particularly lack of it, tied hands. We were more hope than plan, reduced to watching and waiting with fingers crossed, preying we'd click on the field, that Rodgers could/would do enough.

I'm not saying the board were blameless, just powerless to influence what happened on the pitch. That they're potentially seeking to act now, where they can have influence, doesn't surprise me. They're trying to do what the team couldn't and keep us up/protect the revenue stream. I get that.

Difficult to know what the board could have done during the season. Admittedly, Whelan in goal would probably have been better than Ward but Rudkin up front..... I dunno ;)

Nah, seriously. Everyone across the country was saying that squad was good enough to stay up. And objectively, it should have been. The board's biggest mistake was perhaps 'keeping the faith' for longer than it should have. They gambled and lost. I believe money, or more particularly lack of it, tied hands. We were more hope than plan, reduced to watching and waiting with fingers crossed, preying we'd click on the field, that Rodgers could/would do enough.

I'm not saying the board were blameless, just powerless to influence what happened on the pitch. That they're potentially seeking to act now, where they can have influence, doesn't surprise me. They're trying to do what the team couldn't and keep us up/protect the revenue stream. I get that.

Every ****er who supports another club was saying we were too good to go down. Outside of them the only people who were too blinded due to keeping the faith or actually wanted relegation (them weird ****ers on fb fan pages) and our players believed it or pretended they did.....possibly still do.

The board could have made changes. Decisions are supposed to be something boards get involved with. They did nowt and just let things slide. They're ****s.

Was it the board or Top through?

Ultimately Top is responsible for those he puts in place. In business there will nearly always be fall guys for owner's **** ups and I think the lack of a fall guy this time means it's 100% his **** up. Or he hasn't a clue and so it's 100% his fault as a result.

It's his fault, I reckon....just to be clear.

My read of the situation was that there wasn't much the board could do this season, they'd effectively snookered themselves over the previous 2; signing off on high wages, not insisting on (or not being able to) move a few players on for some needed churn.

Maybe also someone ****ed up on revenue projections, or forgot to include a spreadsheet column in the FFP calculation, but that really would be conjecture. Praps we were hit harder by Covid than other clubs (that KP were, yes, but the club? And disproportionately so?)

Whatever went down and for whatever reason, the upshot was no money in the warchest come last summer. Our cheque book slammed shut before the transfer window even opened. Tread water mode enabled. All eggs placed in a basket (case) labelled Rodgers, fingers crossed and people strapped in for the ride. And we got Rodgered.

Sacking him was not in the plan. When we did, it's possible there was a ludicrously naive notion that Sadler and Stowell could see the season out. When it became clear that they were, seemingly by their own admission, 'not up to it' there was a raiding of piggy banks, a search down the side of the sofa, and a scramble to see who was available. Too little too late.

As a club, too ambitious too soon perhaps. Gambled without a coherent fallback option, nor safety net. I think we'd reached for the sky and missed... instead bringing it down on us.

My read of the situation was that there wasn't much the board could do this season, they'd effectively snookered themselves over the previous 2; signing off on high wages, not insisting on (or not being able to) move a few players on for some needed churn.

If you're using a snooker analogy, if we are being generous, we could accept that the board found themselves in a very tricky snooker. I would debate how tricky it was.

However, their response was not to even attempt to get out of it. They just sat in their padded seats staring at the snooker, stroking their privileged chins, or chalking their cues, presumably assuming that the cue ball would spontaneously move by itself and clear the table.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the motivation for 'what followed' in the response to the snooker. You see wilful neglect, an entitled indifference maybe, or perhaps a kind of paralysis. I see there being no better options; apparent inactivity actually being the considered response - yes, sit tight and hope for the best. Hardly inspiring nor reassuring admittedly. The board aren't blameless by any stretch - it was a situation brought on by the poor choices made in previous years.

Perhaps there was a blindness to the reality of the situation, a naivety as to what the outcome might be, and they woke up too late. I personally don't think so. I think they saw the trajectory clearly last summer, even before, but they were very limited in what they could practically do about it. It was dice roll time (to change analogy)

I see that we're one of four clubs sueing Everton.

Whilst in some respects I think all of this year's bottom four deserve relegation for their efforts on the pitch, it's really disappointing to read that it's not possible for a case like this to be brought in such time that the appropriate sporting sanction if they're found to be in the wrong (relegation for Everton) could be given as there's no way that anything financial could remedy the damage do to our club by being relegated instead of them.

Just like Man City and previously West Ham nothing significant will happen imo.

I see that we're one of four clubs sueing Everton.

Whilst in some respects I think all of this year's bottom four deserve relegation for their efforts on the pitch, it's really disappointing to read that it's not possible for a case like this to be brought in such time that the appropriate sporting sanction if they're found to be in the wrong (relegation for Everton) could be given as there's no way that anything financial could remedy the damage do to our club by being relegated instead of them.

It’s Everton. That’s why it got kicked to the long grass. If it were Luton they would’ve sanctioned with 15 minutes.

The game is as bent as it gets. They don’t want clubs like us to succeed ever again because it doesn’t make money.

Ultimately Top is responsible for those he puts in place. In business there will nearly always be fall guys for owner's **** ups and I think the lack of a fall guy this time means it's 100% his **** up. Or he hasn't a clue and so it's 100% his fault as a result.

It's his fault, I reckon....just to be clear.
It definitely was. My hope was we would/will redeem ourselves and shake up the infrastructure so that he is getting advice from the right people. It seems instead that Rudkin is made of Teflon.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669
9Coventry City4664
10Preston 4663