Ex-players and managers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Ex-players (the thread nobody's been waiting for)

I think it's called the Ignore function :icon_wink

You can't ignore moderators :icon_wink

Not that I would ignore Boc anyway maybe just some of the others :icon_lol:

That is very deluded.

To be fair to him I thought it was a good decision to get the red card. The other player was clean through with only the keeper to beat.

By fouling him he only gave away a free kick and Ipswich managed to hold out for a point.

I remember a couple of years ago when Gary Breen (Sunderland) was chasing Darren Huckerby (Norwich) who was clean through and on the edge of the box. Rather than go for the ball he just booted Huckerby. He got send off but Sunderland went on to win 1-0. :icon_lol:

Im not entirely sure if that is any more right than diving for a match winning peno etc.

Im still thinking it through.

Im not entirely sure if that is any more right than diving for a match winning peno etc.

Im still thinking it through.

Why? It's not really cheating, because you know you'll be punished for it.

Players do it all the time... give away a free kick on the half way line or whatever to stop a counter attack.

You can't ignore moderators :icon_wink

Not that I would ignore Boc anyway maybe just some of the others :icon_lol:

:022: I thought we was pals

Why? It's not really cheating, because you know you'll be punished for it.

Players do it all the time... give away a free kick on the half way line or whatever to stop a counter attack.

If you take that line then surely cheating is fair, everyone can cheat.

If you take that line then surely cheating is fair, everyone can cheat.

For me cheating is if you are trying to deceive the referee into giving a decision that is incorrect.

If you foul somebody who is clean through you are stopping them scoring, you arent trying to deceive anyone.

You have committed a foul, the ref knows you have and punishes you for it.

Last edited:

For me cheating is if you are trying to deceive the referee into giving a decision that is incorrect.

If you foul somebody who is clean through you are stopping them scoring, you arent trying to deceive anyone.

Considered to be bad sportsmanship, however, if someone was to put them in the same category, I'd find it hard to disagree.

The attacker cheated by diving, the defender cheated by blatantly fouling the striker, knowing it was wrong, cheating the forward out of a goal scoring opportunity, therefore not playing within the rules. (hence a freekick etc against the defender)

Considered to be bad sportsmanship, however, if someone was to put them in the same category, I'd find it hard to disagree.

The attacker cheated by diving, the defender cheated by blatantly fouling the striker, knowing it was wrong, cheating the forward out of a goal scoring opportunity, therefore not playing within the rules. (hence a freekick etc against the defender)

If an attacker dives HE gets his OWN team a free kick/pen and gets the OTHER TEAMS PLAYER booked/sent off.

IF the defender delibrately fouls a player he gives the OTHER team a free kick and HE gets booked/sent off.

Seems to me the two are completely different.

Last edited:

If an attacker dives HE gets his OWN team a free kick/pen and gets the OTHER TEAMS PLAYER booked/sent off.

IF the defender delibrately fouls a player he gives the OTHER team a free kick and HE gets booked/sent off.

Seems to me the two are completely different.

I never said they were the same, I said I wouldn't disagree if someone put them in the same category, CHEATING!:102:

I never said they were the same, I said I wouldn't disagree if someone put them in the same category, CHEATING!:102:

So you would put Eduardo's dive against Celtic or Rivaldo falling over and holding his head in his hands in the World Cup in the same category as Maculey fouling somebody who was clean through :icon_conf

So you would put Eduardo's dive against Celtic or Rivaldo falling over and holding his head in his hands in the World Cup in the same category as Maculey fouling somebody who was clean through :icon_conf

They are both examples of cheating yes, not cheating in the same way but it is cheating none the less.

But the punishment doesn't fit the crime in this case.

McAuley deliberately cheated and his team got the benefit.

I've been saying for a long time that if a player commits a professional foul outside the penalty area, a penalty should be awarded.
If you deny someone a goalscoring chance, the punishment should be to give them a chance to score.

But the punishment doesn't fit the crime in this case.

McAuley deliberately cheated and his team got the benefit.

I've been saying for a long time that if a player commits a professional foul outside the penalty area, a penalty should be awarded.
If you deny someone a goalscoring chance, the punishment should be to give them a chance to score.

Or go the whole hog and just award the goal. That would soon stop them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669