FA cup quarter final - Everton v Leicester

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wombat

For all the numpties on here who shugged off our FA Cup home loss to Huddersfield as 'no big deal', a couple of questions...

A real fan wants to see his team win every game, regardless of any extenuating circumstances.

This weekend, when all fans of the clubs left in the Cup were waking up excited & licking their lips with anticipation... I felt lousy coz we had no game.

Huddersfield played crap yesterday, and a powder-puff team like Wigan pulled off an extremly rare away win, when we would surely have turned them over at our place.

Now Wigan get drawn away at Everton - that's a mouth-watering away trip & fantastic day out for 5,000 Leicester fans.

I knew we missed a great opportunity for some LCFC drama & passion when we fielded a weaker team in the replay, and Hudds performed a 'smash & grab' last week. History has proven this wise old sage correct.

Playing Wigan yesterday would in no way have impacted our Promotion chances so I am not buying the "save our best team for the league" BS :018:

Last edited:
Re: FA Cup quarter fianal - Everton v Leicester

I agree

Huddersfield played crap yesterday, and a powder-puff team like Wigan pulled off an extremly rare away win, when we would surely have turned them over at our place.

That'll be the same Huddersfield that beat us on our own patch will it? We were lucky. Wigan would have murdered us in front of a large terrestrial TV audience.

We got away with it Wombat. We did.

That'll be the same Huddersfield that beat us on our own patch will it? We were lucky. Wigan would have murdered us in front of a large terrestrial TV audience.

We got away with it Wombat. We did.

I think you might be right, Wigan were professional and clinical and I imagine we would have been turned over with relative ease.

Wigan are a team and club who have managed to remain in the top division, we are a team and club who has failed regularly to even get there in the recent past.

I'm as annoyed as anybody that we appeared not to care much about the result against Huddersfield. That said, I disagree that progress wouldn't have has an impact on our promotion challenge. We'd have had to play yesterday, then again on Wednesday, as well as having another game rearranged for the sixth round date. That's without considering the possibility of replays. We have a small squad and more games doesn't only increase tiredness but also the opportunity for injury for key players.

It's unlikely we would have faced Everton in the sixth round either, by the way. I know I'm being a pedant and that it isn't the main point of the thread, but we'd have been assigned a different number to Wigan and ended up with something else entirely in all likeliness.

Not that there would have been any guarantee that we would have beaten Wigan anyway. They are struggling but in a division higher than us. Indeed they haven't been at the same level as us for some years and would rightly have started a fixture against us as favourites.

Last edited:

Not that there would have been any guarantee that we would have beaten Wigan anyway. They are struggling but in a division higher than us. Indeed they haven't been at the same level as us for some years and would rightly have started a fixture against us as favourites.

The draw was made before we played the replay so we would have played Wigan regardless.

The only way that would have changed is If we had won the first fixture.

The draw was made before we played the replay so we would have played Wigan regardless.

The only way that would have changed is If we had won the first fixture.

I know. I said that it is unlikely that we would have drawn Everton in the following round. All I said about Wigan is that we wouldn't have been favourites to beat them, in response to the OP which suggests that we would have beaten them.

This weekend, when all fans of the clubs left in the Cup were waking up excited & licking their lips with anticipation...
Not much excitement and lip-licking in Huddersfield and Wigan yesterday - only 12,117 could be arsed to turn up.

It's unlikely we would have faced Everton in the sixth round either, by the way. I know I'm being a pedant and that it isn't the main point of the thread, but we'd have been assigned a different number to Wigan and ended up with something else entirely in all likeliness.

The number would have been the same. It's based on when the team was drawn in the previous round.

I've just worked out that if we'd won every match last season we would have won the league and both the League and FA Cups - and the Charity Shield depending on which season you consider it lands in.

Quite amazing stuff.

I'm sure if Nigel had realised this he would have tried much harder against Huddersfield.

Wombat, I quite agree with you.
The way the FA Cup has been treated by all and sundry is nothing less than a travesty to such a competition.
I watched the HTFC v Wigan game yesterday, and believe we would have given Wigan a better game. Alas the powers that be, decreed otherwise.

Remember in O'Neills days when Leicester were lambasted for fielding a weakened team in the league cup (despite being the only players fit at the time!).
How times change, and not always for the better.

Fair enough. I always thought it was done alphabetically.

Wigan were the first ball yesterday ;)

Wigan were the first ball yesterday ;)

:icon_bigg

I didn't watch. I've been going about forever being convinced that it was alphabetical despite watching the draw loads of times. Clearly I need to pay more attention.

Last edited:

I watched the HTFC v Wigan game yesterday, and believe we would have given Wigan a better game.

Why would we have tried any harder against Wigan than we did(n't) against the Terriers?

:icon_bigg

I didn't watch. I've been going about forever being convinced that it was alphabetical despite watching the draw loads of times. Clearly I need to pay more attention.

the top 2 divisions are alphabetical for the third round draw maybe thats where you got it from

Now Wigan get drawn away at Everton - that's a mouth-watering away trip & fantastic day out for 5,000 Leicester fans.

Except if we win promotion, we will very likely play Everton away at 3pm on Saturday (which wouldn't have happened for the quarter-final). Also have a decent allocation of 3000 where all the happy glory hunters won't be in attendance (who made last year's trip to Chelsea unbareable).

Then to top it off, we get visitat Arsenal or Manchester United or Newcastle etc. a few weeks.

We'd have much of a chance seeing off Wigan as Oldham do seeing off Everton in the replay. Oldham away, anyone?

Last edited:
It's very tricky climbing a ladder holding a cup. Use both hands, and ffs don't look down.

It's very tricky climbing a ladder holding a cup. Use both hands, and ffs don't look down.

What is it made of? The mouth may be an option if it's one of those white soft ones that you get tea in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669