Firefox Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
DurhamFox said:
Uninstall Firefox, use IE ???

so its a firefox problem not my computer?

IE brings about another problem - i must have a virus cos every now and again a pop-up appears (winex) i think it is and it says its installing something - ant virus- but when i try and close the bugger i cant it brings up an option in another pop up saying are you sure if i click yes it brings the whole process up again and the same thing happens if i click cancel!

i have to go though Ctrl-Alt-Delete to get rid

ScarboroughFox said:
cheers mate:038:

what is spyware?

Anything that tries to take over your PC and spies on everything you do with the intention of bombarding you with things of most interest to you.

I recently had a spate of it where I kept getting pop ups saying I'd got spyware and then offering me the chance to get rid of it with some spyware software, the only problem was it was 50$, and you couldn't say no I had to keep switching off my pc, eventually it took over IE and became my default home page which I just couldn't shift. That's when I used CastleCops.

Best of Luck

Spyware is not just stuff that spies on you, the term is used for a lot of other stuff also known as adware and scumware. A lot of the time you may have an infection and not even be aware of it, because it may be altering existing ads on websites, rather than showing extra ads. That kind of thing can affect people like me who rely on online advertising, because some spyware can change my sites so someone else gets the advertising revenue.

ScarboroughFox said:
ever since i have installed this mozilla firefox thing every now and again it freezes and when the page loads a box appears saying the operation has timed out!

anyone know why this happens? and how to prevent it?

here you go Scarby, follow these links & you'll be able to deal with most junkware on your PC:

Ad-Aware

Spybot

Spyware Blaster

Spyware Guard

MS anti-spyware

Just be careful not to run a scan with more than one program at time.

And don't be tempted to go back to IE, Firefox is the way forward. If there's a site that you visit that doesn't render correctly in FF, there's a handy extension here that will use the IE shell to render a page in a FF tab!

Macky said:
here you go Scarby, follow these links & you'll be able to deal with most junkware on your PC:

Ad-Aware

Spybot

Spyware Blaster

Spyware Guard

MS anti-spyware

Just be careful not to run a scan with more than one program at time.

And don't be tempted to go back to IE, Firefox is the way forward. If there's a site that you visit that doesn't render correctly in FF, there's a handy extension here that will use the IE shell to render a page in a FF tab!

Know any good free firewalls? :102:

Jeff said:
Since you wrote this there have been more security issues with Firefox than with IE!

In terms of usability I think Firefox is the best browser, but Opera is also pretty good and seems to be more secure.

the flashing ads at the top of opera make it unusable for me!! and im too tight arsed to pay for the non advertisment version!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669