Firefox wft??

Status
Not open for further replies.
firefox just crashed, and when i reloaded it had deleted my bookmarks, settings and cookies!!!

:mad::mad:

anyway of getting them back

Is this the oft-vaunted, stabler than M$ Internet Explorer, wonder browser from Mozilla?

Oh dear!

firefox just crashed, and when i reloaded it had deleted my bookmarks, settings and cookies!!!

:mad::mad:

anyway of getting them back

firefox doesn't just crash on it's own for no reason, something else will have caused it to crash, you can't blame firefox for that.

To be safe in future go into the 'programs files' folder on your HD & make a backup copy of 'mozilla firefox' folder. That way if you run into problems in future you can just paste the whole lot back in there again without losing any of your settings, extentions etc.
You can also very easily export all your bookmarks as an html file from the bookmarks menu.
As a rule, if a file or folder doesn't exist in at least 2 places then it doesn't exist at all.

Don't let the experience put you off firefox, it is faster, safer and more extendable than IE could ever be.

firefox doesn't just crash on it's own for no reason, something else will have caused it to crash, you can't blame firefox for that.

I have had Firefox crash on me numerous times for no apparent reason, it seems to be less stable than IE on all my PCs. I have no problems with other programs so I can only assume that there is a problem with Firefox.

To be safe in future go into the 'programs files' folder on your HD & make a backup copy of 'mozilla firefox' folder. That way if you run into problems in future you can just paste the whole lot back in there again without losing any of your settings, extentions etc.
You can also very easily export all your bookmarks as an html file from the bookmarks menu.
As a rule, if a file or folder doesn't exist in at least 2 places then it doesn't exist at all.

Don't let the experience put you off firefox, it is faster, safer and more extendable than IE could ever be.
Do you run the firefox appreciation society?:102:

i dont have a mozilla firefox folder:confused: looked everywhere!!

and that site you gave us Jeff, i couldnt make head to tail of those instructions!

I have had Firefox crash on me numerous times for no apparent reason, it seems to be less stable than IE on all my PCs. I have no problems with other programs so I can only assume that there is a problem with Firefox.

which version of FF are you using?
I've never had a problem with it since v1.5, apart from some websites that are setup with IE in mind but that is a more of a problem to do with the websites themselves not being standards compliant.

got it cheers boss!!

however no bookmark folders in there

that's the main program folder, your bookmarks folder should be in :
C:>Documents and Settings>your windows username>Application Data>Mozilla>Firefox>Profiles

or just load up firefox, goto bookmarks menu> manage bookmarks, in the next window: File menu> export

the other option is to use portable firefox, my preferred option. you can load it on to a USB flashdrive & bring it with you where ever you go & back it all up as 1 folder.

that's the main program folder, your bookmarks folder should be in :
C:>Documents and Settings>your windows username>Application Data>Mozilla>Firefox>Profiles

or just load up firefox, goto bookmarks menu> manage bookmarks, in the next window: File menu> export

i havent got an application data folder!!

on a side note i can access a folder that says toms documents but there is another folder just called 'documents' and when i click that it tells me im denied access!! Why its my bloody computer why cant i access it!

try:
C:>Documents and Settings>all Users>Application Data>Mozilla>Firefox>Profiles

which version of FF are you using?

The latest version, it automatically updates so I always have the current version.

While I like Firefox as a browser and use it most of the time, but I think some of the hype about it is over the top. It isn't 100% secure, there have been a lot of updates due to security problems, Opera is probably better for security. I've had crashes with Firefox that I haven't had with Opera or IE ever since I started using Firefox (not all the time, maybe once every week or two), and it's happened on three different PCs, so I think that rules out a problem with the PCs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669