Football League to introduce financial fair play rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I read this too earlier Hazz. I would imagine a few clubs would struggle with this.

The new CEO, had better start identifying new financial avenues, rather rapid. However one question, having read the article, it mentions nothing about overseas earnings, and the possibility of a clubs money being located elswhere in the world not just in the UK. Seems to me that the whole idea sounds plausable, but in practical terms it could be next to impossible implement

The whole UEFA and FL financial fair play assessments are a joke (for the next few years at least). There's so many caveats and other vague statements that I doubt any club that doesn't have severe financial regularities will have any restrictions imposed on them.

The whole UEFA and FL financial fair play assessments are a joke (for the next few years at least). There's so many caveats and other vague statements that I doubt any club that doesn't have severe financial regularities will have any restrictions imposed on them.

It appears the FL rules are insisted by the chairmen of the Championship. There is supposly a wage cap in League 2 but it's always broke with minimal punishment.

With spiralling debts as teams desperately scramble to reach the Premier League, I can understand why financial regulations can be a good thing.

But, will this not just widen the gap between the Premier League and Championship even more? Teams being relegated will have no chance of keeping hold of top players, and will need to sign lots of new players when they go up most likely.

Last edited:
With spiralling debts as teams desperately scramble to reach the Premier League, I can understand why financial regulations can be a good thing.

But, will this not just widen the gap between the Premier League and Championship even more? Teams being relegated will have no chance of keeping hold of top players, and will need to sign lots of new players when they go up most likely.

I think the term spend what you earn will be applied to transfers. even so, I think teams that get relegated won't have to sell all their players, especially with the parachute payments they get, they will be able to hold on to the majority of their squad still. It may also mean that clubs in the Premier league will start applying relegation clauses in contracts more often to reduce the wage bill should they go down.

I don't think the gap between the premier league and the Championship is as big as it used to be.

This rule, it says, will apply to championship club and those in European competition. So in theory the top 5 prem teams and the championship will be hamstrung whilst the mid to low prem teams can spend what they want?

This rule, it says, will apply to championship club and those in European competition. So in theory the top 5 prem teams and the championship will be hamstrung whilst the mid to low prem teams can spend what they want?

That is not quite the case. The Football League is voting on the proposal for it to apply to Championship clubs. UEFA is putting pressure on all leagues to apply it but is enforcing it on clubs playing in Europe. UEFA want the Premier League to apply it sooner rather than later.

In my opinion, not only will it increase the gap between the Prem and the Championship but also, with half a dozen clubs in the Prem being infinitely richer than the others it will further widen the gulf between those clubs and the rest.

In my opinion, not only will it increase the gap between the Prem and the Championship but also, with half a dozen clubs in the Prem being infinitely richer than the others it will further widen the gulf between those clubs and the rest.

Really does put the pressure on us to get up sooner rather than later then, I suppose.

That is not quite the case. The Football League is voting on the proposal for it to apply to Championship clubs. UEFA is putting pressure on all leagues to apply it but is enforcing it on clubs playing in Europe. UEFA want the Premier League to apply it sooner rather than later.

Perhaps this is the aim of this measure; then they can start their little Super League and sod the rest.

Really does put the pressure on us to get up sooner rather than later then, I suppose.

Not a conclusion that I would have drawn. We will be subject to the rule at some time whichever league/division we are in - and so will our opponents. Even if we are in the Premier League our resources will be somewhat meagre compared with many of our opponents.

The biggest unknown is how the footballing authorities propose to police it; whether they will ever bother to; and whether they will ever manage to. It seems to me that there is a danger that more and more payments to players will come "off the books" and that the situation will be as bad as it is now.

The new CEO, had better start identifying new financial avenues, rather rapid. However one question, having read the article, it mentions nothing about overseas earnings, and the possibility of a clubs money being located elswhere in the world not just in the UK. Seems to me that the whole idea sounds plausable, but in practical terms it could be next to impossible implement
You've started, doing, that thing, where you, use, too many, commas, aga,in.,

A lovely idea in principle, but virtually unenforceable. Accountants invariably find a way around the small print.
Makes you laugh that a meeting to discuss spending regulation had to be held in Cyprus. Shambles.

Generally good for clubs that are more or less content to remain in the Football League. Bad for clubs in the Championship that choose to speculate to try to get promotion. Good for the clubs in the Premier League because it further widens the gap.

I don't like additional regulation. If clubs choose to push out the boat and go bust - let them. All part of the fun of the fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566