Forget The Premier League

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Gwilliam

Match Of The Day keeps mentioning Vardy's achievements in terms of Premier League strikers and such is its influence that other media follow suit. It is as though strikers like Lofthouse, Greaves and Lineker had never played.

The Premier League was a commercial move. The big clubs felt they needed more money and that teams like Rochdale and Bury should make do with less. The teams that would have been the First Division in 1992 simply became Premier League. Ideas that Celtic and Rangers should join the Premier League got nowhere.

There was football before 1992. The Premier League has (IMO) never featured a player as talented as Duncan Edwards or a goalkeeper to rival Peter Shilton. The most iconic moment in English football came when First Division players won the World Cup for England.

The Premier League seasons have been good for some teams like Chelsea and (IMO again ) the present Leicester team shows signs of becoming the best I can remember. However, fans of Bolton, Preston, Blackpool, Derby and I would guess Liverpool have reason to be nostalgic for their days in the First Division.

In case anybody should claim this is just an old man complaining I should say that I need the comfy seats. I wish the old time players had performed on today's wonderful pitches. I like the way Mahrez is allowed to show his skill without being brutalised by a Chopper Clamp. Tommy Smith or entire Bolton team. I prefer today's football without pretending the game began 1992.

Well David, as your are bringing up the nostalgic sentiment.

Football for me officially started on very bitter Dec 28th 1986, a birthday present to remember

A very good Steve Moran goal by us against 5 scored by soon to be crowned champions Everton. I was told on numerous occasions how good our Scottish midfielder was, as was our much sought after lanky striker. There was never any mention of a midfielder who would go on to be our manger Rob Kelly.

I guess I was lucky to have witnessed a great Everton team and a different era pre Man Utd/Arsenal/Chelsea domination, but I think I spent most of the afternoon complaining about the cold and the cigarette smoke.

My love for Leicester blossomed in an era of Gary Mac, David Pleat, Paul Kitson, Jimmy Quinn, Paul Reid, Mike Newell, Tony James and Steve Walsh. Hardly the most inspirational time in our clubs history.

One third of the season through and we are top, I didn’t think I’d see this day. Would love to see us win another trophy and play in Europe again.

I agree in a sense but I think it is often referred to as the new era, not only due to the name change but didn't the league change from 22?? teams down to 20 at the same time?

I agree in a sense but I think it is often referred to as the new era, not only due to the name change but didn't the league change from 22?? teams down to 20 at the same time?

Not at the same time. The Premier League had 22 clubs for its first three seasons.

The change in football in the early 1960s was far greater than that brought about by the Premier League.
The abolition of the maximum wage came about in 1961. Overnight Johnny Haynes wage went from £20 a week to £100. In the end this would damage clubs like Blackpool and Preston.
Teams were allowed a substitute - just one.
The offside trap became fashionable. Wolves had won the title with this in 1959. Supporters disapproved but other clubs adopted it. .
Most importantly teams changed the way they defended. Goalkeepers were no longer just shot stoppers but were expected to deal with crosses. These had previously been the responsibility of the centre half. Instead of one centre back you had two and wingers were expected to help the defence; you defended as a team.

The change in football in the early 1960s was far greater than that brought about by the Premier League.
The abolition of the maximum wage came about in 1961. Overnight Johnny Haynes wage went from £20 a week to £100. In the end this would damage clubs like Blackpool and Preston.
Teams were allowed a substitute - just one.
The offside trap became fashionable. Wolves had won the title with this in 1959. Supporters disapproved but other clubs adopted it. .
Most importantly teams changed the way they defended. Goalkeepers were no longer just shot stoppers but were expected to deal with crosses. These had previously been the responsibility of the centre half. Instead of one centre back you had two and wingers were expected to help the defence; you defended as a team.
It's lovely to read, David, but I think that you could point to a few instances in history that changed football and they all form part of the changes in football over time. To suggest one is greater than the other isn't fair. The players of yesteryear aren't as fit as today's players, due to the advances in sports science, for example. No achievement is necessarily greater than the other, they're just achievements in their own time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669