General Election 7th May 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

RHYDAL

I thought the SNP got an outright majority? If not what's all the media coverage in aid of?
****ed if I know Terry.
Something to do with earthquakes I heard.

Last edited:

fitz

****ed if I know Terry.Something to do with earthquakes I heard.
Fair enough. We'll just have to see how wee jimmy does as PM then, thank Christ it's not Cameron again.

David Gwilliam

And don't get me started on the "]Welsh.....[/URL]

But I do want to get you started Rhydal. One of the things I got wrong was to expect Plaid Cymru to seriously challenge Labour in Wales and I do not know why that did not happen; why is Welsh nationalism so weak when Scottish nationalism is so strong.

Farage loses

Lovely stuff

With the possible exception of Nicola Sturgeon he seems to me to be the most successful politician in Britain.

In the last couple of elections UKIP was irrelevant getting about 2% or 3% of the vote. This election they got 12%. In about 90 constituencies they beat either the Conservative or Labour to come second. Between this election and the last they have become the biggest British party in the European Parliament. He appears to have secured a secure succession to his leadership.

Ask the vast majority of the British people and the only UKIP politician they can name is Nigel Farage - that will probably not be true in 2020 and that will perhaps be Nigel Farage greatest triumph.

With all due respect Homer I wonder whether you are allowing your partisan opinion to cloud your judgement.

The majority probably would because I imagine the majority haven't a ****ing clue what is going on.

Contempt for the voters is dangerous It can lead to the idea "We know what is best for everyone and other peoples points of view can be dismissed. "

But Lako you don't have a clue what is going on and nor do I or anyone else contributing to this forum. Probably the top expert on UK politics is a man called Vernon Bogdanor. He predicted a close result between the two main parties and a hung parliament - he did not have a clue. Nobody understands the time they are living in
I hope Jeff will keep this thread open so that we can all post again around 2050 when we may have a clue what went on in 2015.

bocadillo

Water Gypsy

RHYDAL

But I do want to get you started Rhydal. One of the things I got wrong was to expect Plaid Cymru to seriously challenge Labour in Wales and I do not know why that did not happen; why is Welsh nationalism so weak when Scottish nationalism is so strong.

My guess is that the Welsh don't use elections to demonstrate their national identity.

The proliferation of the Welsh language is the way I believe we are expressing our individuality.

Currently about a quarter of all pupils in Wales are taught through the Welsh medium, and this number grows yearly. Years ago Welsh was banned in schools here, and when I was in school I'd estimate Welsh language schools accounted for less than 5% of the total.

It's a quiet yet powerful way to maintain not just the language, but also traditions and culture.

Apart from that, why would we vote to break away from a country that is kind enough to pay for our prescriptions and further education? You don't bite the hand that feeds you.

Any road, the map below will give you an idea of why the majority in Wales vote Labour still....

attachment.php

Attachments

• election 2015.jpg
    election 2015.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 122

RHYDAL

That map is a really interesting insight Rhydal. Thanks for posting it

You're welcome, but I can't claim any credit. It's been kicking around on the book of faces for the past couple of days.

Tells its own story for sure.

RHYDAL

It tells us that areas with coal became industrialised, and grew into cities with large working class populations. The kind of people who vote labour. You could have a map showing the population density of the country, and it would show the same thing.
I expect that a map of benefit claimants would look the same too.

Ike O'Noclassed

Rinse and Panda Pop?

A sugar and e-number rush is as good an explanation for Thursday's voting patterns as any, I guess.

Apropos coal mining and Labour seats, the small Leicestershire coalfield was pretty much resistant to the red advance, solidly returning Liberal MPs, or more accurately the "Cleggite" anti-Labour National Liberals, until 1945, now looking to be one of those target seats that Labour never quite seems to win The political highlight of the inter-war years was actually a race between the MP (driving a car) and a racing pigeon (presumably in flight) from the House of Parliament to Leicester. The pigeon won.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670