Gibraltar in the Euros??

Status
Not open for further replies.

M17TT C

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22657481

I'm all for everyone having a chance and it being open to anyone but surely these are just going to be another set of whipping boys for everyone but Scotland seeing as Gibraltar has about the same population as Wigston.

Perhaps time for a preliminary qualifying round for the smaller teams as least that would get them playing against similar ability sides to begin with and having a chance?

I agree with the idea of a preliminary round, based on Fifa rankings, then there can really be no arguments as to who goes in to it. Could be played at the same time as internation tournaments. The fans may even get to see their teams score a goal.

I agree with the idea of a preliminary round, based on Fifa rankings, then there can really be no arguments as to who goes in to it. Could be played at the same time as internation tournaments. The fans may even get to see their teams score a goal.

The problem is that FIFA rankings are also largely nonsensical.

Exactly,England should never be anywhere near the top 10 based on performance in tournament games.

Perhaps a qualification system based on who finished lowest in the groups in the previous qualifying campaing?

I dunno, I'm not that bothered by the plucky little devils anyway.

Would somebody please explain what possible benefit this change would bring to supporters of Gibraltar, San Marino and other small countries.

How wonderful that part-timers get to play the likes of Gerrard and Rooney. In the same way I like the way that a small club can face one of the giants in the FA Cup and get desperately needed money. I wish that all clubs had to enter the first round. An otherwise unknown footballer called Harry Knowles would always be a local hero for his goals in Worcester City 2 Liverpool 1 (February 1959). Similarly Ricky George and Ronnie Radford will always be remembered locally for goals that defeated Newcastle 2-1 (1972) No doubt the supporters of those little countries treasure memories of their local boys playing against the likes of Beckham and Zidane.

We live in an age when football elites believe they should own the game. As a football romantic I reject this idea and none of the posters above have explained why we should support this belief.

I wonder how many of the Gibraltarians will get near the Spanish national squad when the Rock is rightfully given back to them?

I wonder how many of the Gibraltarians will get near the Spanish national squad when the Rock is rightfully given back to them?

I wonder if Spain will give relinquish control of Melilla and Ceuta before Gibraltarians are required to think of themselves as Spanish.

From my very limited visits to Gibraltar I feel most Gibraltarians do not feel a deep desire to be Spanish. Of course this should not matter since so many Catalans and Basques seem to feel the same. Londonfox may rightly point out that it is important to disregard the wishes of the people involved otherwise Spain would be a great deal smaller.

Most people including myself find 18th century diplomacy difficult so LondonFox clear judgement that a treaty of 1713 is invalid is impressive. Anyone who who feels he is "talking through his backside" on the matter should be ashamed of their cynicism. :icon_bigg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566