Help needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MHS

I have just recently bought an xbox, and I'm having difficulties trying to connect to xbox live. I'm currently using NTL broadband with a speed of 1 meg, but at the minute I cannot connect onto live (I have been told I need a 2 meg connection). I am in dire need of playing the beloved Pro 5 online, because not only is it the greatest footy game ever, it is better than watching a certain team down the Walkers every Saturday!

Can anybody help me? :confused: seeing as NTL haven't got a clue about anything! :098:

sorry mhs, haven't done the live thing yet.

Joe may know.

MKFox said:
sorry mhs, haven't done the live thing yet.

Joe may know.

Soz Chuck, haven't done it yet either, if i ever do I'll be sure to give you some instructions and then give you a good pasting at halo.

MK, did you ever get your new cable? Mine still hasn't come, if my house burns down then I'm invoicing Bill Gates for my new 8 bedroom villa in Portugal.

Cable came about a week after I sent my e-mail to them.
I'd try again if I were you, it may be bonfire night sooner that Saturday...;)

MKFox said:
Cable came about a week after I sent my e-mail to them.
I'd try again if I were you, it may be bonfire night sooner that Saturday...;)

Can you remember the web address?

Got the number to ring:

0800 028 9276

nonsense you don't need a 2meg line. 512 is the minimum for live so a 1 meg will do just fine.

how are you connecting? thru a router or direct from a ntl cable modem?

just out of interest is your console chipped or second hand?

for pro evo lag can be an issue as most ISP's only give you 256kb upload and this is where we need more for online gaming. myself i have a 2mb SDSL radio connection (very pricey and only available in a few cities) so if i host the games they are generally lag free.

lets get you online and then see if i can hook up to you for a game or ten.

Rayvon said:
nonsense you don't need a 2meg line. 512 is the minimum for live so a 1 meg will do just fine.

how are you connecting? thru a router or direct from a ntl cable modem?

just out of interest is your console chipped or second hand?

for pro evo lag can be an issue as most ISP's only give you 256kb upload and this is where we need more for online gaming. myself i have a 2mb SDSL radio connection (very pricey and only available in a few cities) so if i host the games they are generally lag free.

lets get you online and then see if i can hook up to you for a game or ten.

I'm connecting through a router, and I bought the console brand new on Monday. I have got an xbox live account as I do play it round my mates a lot so I know how annoying the lag can get!:icon_evil

ok can you not try going direct from the modem and not using the router. some routers are simply not compatible with xbox live. (although this may not be the case) but its the easist way to check if you can connect or not. second thing would be to make sure you are using the right ethernet cable. for an xbox you need a standard cable not the crossover type. let me know how that works and if you still need help i'll try other things.

also its worth checking www.xbox.xom as the tutorials are excellent and will help you no end.

whoever it was that told you that you need 2meg, made it up, they are filthy liars, disregard anything they ever tell you in future.
Like Rayvon said, check what type of network cable you have, it's the most likely cause.
If you are connecting thru a router it needs to be a straight ethernet cable.
If you are connecting the Xbox via the network card on your PC, using connection sharing, it needs to be a crossover ethernet cable.
If it's a new cable it should be labelled somewhere or on the packaging telling which type it is.
If you're not sure, hold the two plugs at the ends of the cable together & look at the wire cores inside. If the 2 ends are the same it is a straight e/net cable. If the colours are connected in a different order, it is a crossover.

What specifically is the problem that you have?
The Xbox has some sort of utility built in to diagnose connection problems, what info does that give you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566