Holiday Cash

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have both Barclays and Natwest cards and neither charge for use in normal ATM's over there

That is not true. Barclays do not charge for cash taken out in some machines in a very limited number of countries. NatWest charges at least 75p transcaction.

That is not true. Barclays do not charge for cash taken out in some machines in a very limited number of countries. NatWest charges at least 75p transcaction.

They didn't when I went last time. Twas a few years back mind. Didn't charge in stores either.

I got stung taking sterling travellers cheques abroad when the Matabele Gumbo Bean fell sharply against the pound. We had to send for a gunboat.

You can also get travellers cheque cards. American Express do them I think. They work on the same principle as a Visa/Mastercard card but you pre-load the card. I think you get charged for cash withdrawals but card transactions you don't. Not sure but take a look, it's another option.

I'd second (third?) the advice to get a Nationwide card.

It's the only reason we have one and regularly gets recommended by the travel sections of the newspapers.

Fourthed! Although I am a long term customer and have mortgages with them too so I didn't need too much persuading.

Take Travellers Cheques and make sure you get them in dollars, as in the USA you can use these in most places instead of cash. If you get travellers cheques in pounds then you will have to change them at banks hotels etc. and then pay a commission.
Safest way by far is travellers cheques in dollars and avoid commissions.

Where you staying in NY?

Take Travellers Cheques and make sure you get them in dollars, as in the USA you can use these in most places instead of cash. If you get travellers cheques in pounds then you will have to change them at banks hotels etc. and then pay a commission.
Safest way by far is travellers cheques in dollars and avoid commissions.

Where you staying in NY?

Will i not pay a commission when buy the Dollar version over here?

We're stopping here, close to time square.

It's the only reason we have one and regularly gets recommended by the travel sections of the newspapers.

I think i'm probably gonna go with it too.

Will i not pay a commission when buy the Dollar version over here?

We're stopping here, close to time square.

you will also pay a small commission if you buy Pound travellers cheques, it's when you cash them that counts. Cash you pound ones and you have to do it at a hotel or bank usually and they will charge. Use dollar ones and you can use them anywhere, shops, restaurants even brothels and they take them as face value.

Bought travellers cheques in sterling once.

Changed them at a bank and the dimwit gave me the exchange rate for dollars

Happy days.

you will also pay a small commission if you buy Pound travellers cheques, it's when you cash them that counts. Cash you pound ones and you have to do it at a hotel or bank usually and they will charge. Use dollar ones and you can use them anywhere, shops, restaurants even brothels and they take them as face value.

Dunno about brothels but elsewhere travellers cheques are not as well received as they once were. Some stores won't take them now.

Bought travellers cheques in sterling once.

Changed them at a bank and the dimwit gave me the exchange rate for dollars

Happy days.

How is that happy? Pounds are worth more than dollars.

How is that happy? Pounds are worth more than dollars.

Good point.

I hadn't realised what I wrote.

Had US Travellers cheques showed my UK passport and they gave my the exchange rate for sterling. I ended up getting 1.5 the amount of Israli Shekels I should have.

Can't really call the person a dimwit if I can't even get it the right way round then :icon_bigg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669