Holiday Farce - Advise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

camberwell fox

Hi all,

Booked a LAST MINUTE holiday last night via a well known travel company <<<< to Portugal, on line.

Went through the process of entering all details then confirmed, card debited to the thick end of £2k. Site 'hung' for ages.

Then message appeared to explain that there wasn't a problem but confirmation would be sent soon.

This morning got a further email stating that due to availability issues (apparently the price increased by £1.6k above what I paid), that I would be refunded.

After numerous calls to them and my bank (Starling) it appears my money is in 'pending' and will be refunded in up to 8 working days. Is this correct and is there anything I can do?

Really pissed off and can't afford to pay out another £2k on top of what i've paid.

Any advice welcome?

Cheers! Camberwell.

When we refund card payments it takes a few working days for it to arrive back with the client. This isn't something we have any control on, it's just that card refunds seem to take that long for the banks to process. I suspect the 8 working days is them covering themselves a bit and hopefully it won't actually take that long, but it's not a shock to me that it isn't instant.

When we refund card payments it takes a few working days for it to arrive back with the client. This isn't something we have any control on, it's just that card refunds seem to take that long for the banks to process. I suspect the 8 working days is them covering themselves a bit and hopefully it won't actually take that long, but it's not a shock to me that it isn't instant.
Thanks, but if the refund is a few quid that's not so bad, but nearly £2k, it seems harsh!

Thanks, but if the refund is a few quid that's not so bad, but nearly £2k, it seems harsh!
I get that it’s annoying, but whether we do refunds for a few quid or a few thousand, the process is still the same. I think the company you tried to book with seem a bit off in taking your money without securing the holiday, but the refund process through the banks won’t be affected by that, frustrating as it may be.

There are some safe bets at the moment and Portugal is as safe as it gets.

Good luck either way. Fingers crossed you'll be able to find somewhere to enjoy before the end of summer. This year's been a right mindfuck.
Indeed, my kids (like all) need a bit of a break, my son has had a torrid 2 years with bullying and this lock down has been so difficult for everyone.

There are some safe bets at the moment and Portugal is as safe as it gets.
Vanuatu is probably a bit safer, but they won't let you in.

Pending transactions when things have gone tits up with tertiary systems is so, so bloody annoying but something that seems to be part and parcel of online financial transactions. I once booked a two week package holiday to Crete through Thomas Cook for the wonderfully cheap price of 299 quid for two people, flights, accommodation and transfers. The site hung at the payment part and then refreshed a few times. A few minutes later, my credit card company called me to say that some suspicious activity had occurred on my account. I presumed that the suspicion was based on how good a deal I had been able to get, but no. It was that I had "bought" the same holiday five ****ing times! To be fair, Thomas Cook managed to sort out out and honour the deal but it took a few days for the funds for the other four holidays to be refunded.

Pending transactions when things have gone tits up with tertiary systems is so, so bloody annoying but something that seems to be part and parcel of online financial transactions. I once booked a two week package holiday to Crete through Thomas Cook for the wonderfully cheap price of 299 quid for two people, flights, accommodation and transfers. The site hung at the payment part and then refreshed a few times. A few minutes later, my credit card company called me to say that some suspicious activity had occurred on my account. I presumed that the suspicion was based on how good a deal I had been able to get, but no. It was that I had "bought" the same holiday five ****ing times! To be fair, Thomas Cook managed to sort out out and honour the deal but it took a few days for the funds for the other four holidays to be refunded.
Don’t just book it...

Should have kept them at that price

Ended up in Turkey via EasyJet holidays.

Hotel and most other things great, but without question the worst food I have had in my life, shocking effort.

I have never been all inclusive before...it seems a poor decision now as we are having to eat out every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363