Holidays

Status
Not open for further replies.
The key to a good holiday: get the cheap flight with all the other twats, just make sure you head in the opposite direction when you get out of the airport!

just make sure you head in the opposite direction when you get out of the airport!

:081::081::081:

I felt like that when I got to Ibiza, Kardamena, Laganas, <insert partying place of your choice here>

I'm thinking of going to Rome for a few days in late October.

I'd be grateful for any advice and will not speaking Italian be a problem - how anglicized are they particularly out of the normal tourist period?

You'll be fine, but make a bit of an effort and learn some. That's 6 months away you idle git!

I'm thinking of going to Rome for a few days in late October.

I'd be grateful for any advice and will not speaking Italian be a problem - how anglicized are they particularly out of the normal tourist period?

People in hotels, restaurants and taxi drivers will usually speak American English e.g. bandaid instead of elastoplast.
Rome is not a violent city but it is a thieves city and IMO it is worth having a taxi.
If you are historically minded Rome is IMO the greatest city in the world and it is worth reading up on it. This is especially true of the Forum which is arguably the most historic place in Europe but can be baffling if you do not know what you are looking at.
There is no reason not to learn a few phrases of Italian - Quanta costa, molte gracie etc. It is extremely churlish when people do not even learn the word for Thank you in another language.
Get the price before you have the ice cream in your hand.

You will obviously see St Peters, the Forum and the Colosseum but do not miss St John in Lateran which is near the Colosseum.

I am going to annoy all the highbrows now but if I was you I would read the book Angels and Demons by Dan Brown before I went and perhaps see the movie as well. Providing you do not take it seriously it is an enjoyable look at the sights of Rome.

Enjoy your holiday.

You'll be fine, but make a bit of an effort and learn some. That's 6 months away you idle git!

:) I've got Mrs G, Junior G and two jobs taking up my time so, nice idea though it is, it won't be happening!

People in hotels, restaurants and taxi drivers will usually speak American English e.g. bandaid instead of elastoplast.
Rome is not a violent city but it is a thieves city and IMO it is worth having a taxi.
If you are historically minded Rome is IMO the greatest city in the world and it is worth reading up on it. This is especially true of the Forum which is arguably the most historic place in Europe but can be baffling if you do not know what you are looking at.
There is no reason not to learn a few phrases of Italian - Quanta costa, molte gracie etc. It is extremely churlish when people do not even learn the word for Thank you in another language.
Get the price before you have the ice cream in your hand.

You will obviously see St Peters, the Forum and the Colosseum but do not miss St John in Lateran which is near the Colosseum.

I am going to annoy all the highbrows now but if I was you I would read the book Angels and Demons by Dan Brown before I went and perhaps see the movie as well. Providing you do not take it seriously it is an enjoyable look at the sights of Rome.

Enjoy your holiday.

Thanks for the advice. :038::038:

Went to Rome for four days in 2004 and to be honest I couldn't wait to get out of the place. Never known such a mental city and you take your life into your hands everytime you cross the road/get into a taxi. The people are nice enough.

We spent the last part of the holiday in Sorrento - Southern Italy which was fantastic! Wish we'd spent the whole time there.

I apologise, but I have just reported a post by accident instead of replying. I don't know who the post belonged to, but what I wrote was supposed to be a reply to this thread. That'll teach me for not zooming in on my iPhone before clicking.

I apologise, but I have just reported a post by accident instead of replying. I don't know who the post belonged to, but what I wrote was supposed to be a reply to this thread. That'll teach me for not zooming in on my iPhone before clicking.

That's a relief. I got the report and wondered what it was you were complaining about!

Just booked my flights for 8 days in New York and the Hamptons. Staying at the in-laws :s

Spent many happy times in Nerja. Make sure you go and have a paella at Ayos along the main beach ... cooked in a huge pan about 6 foot wide.

Spent many happy times in Nerja. Make sure you go and have a paella at Ayos along the main beach ... cooked in a huge pan about 6 foot wide.

Sounds good to me, any other recommendations? I've heard there are quite a few tapas bars to choose from.

Sounds good to me, any other recommendations? I've heard there are quite a few tapas bars to choose from.

There are loads of bars and restaurants offering every kind of food imaginable. Have a look in the town as well as along the main beach. Some of the best ones are tucked away in the back streets. There are a couple of "English Pub" style bars and a great Irish pub with a fantastic atmosphere.

The Balcon De Europa really comes to life at night and is great for watching the street entertainment or just people watching.

If you want something a little livelier at night, then Tutti Frutti Square is the place to head for.

If you're into that sort of thing, then the Caves Of Nerja are a good morning out and can be reached by local bus from the main bus station in Nerja.

There is plenty to do and see in Nerja and it has a great atmosphere without being all plastic and touristy, retaining a lot of its original Spanish charm and feel. (Jeez, I sound like a guide book ... but then it is one of my favourite parts of Spain).

There are loads of bars and restaurants offering every kind of food imaginable. Have a look in the town as well as along the main beach. Some of the best ones are tucked away in the back streets. There are a couple of "English Pub" style bars and a great Irish pub with a fantastic atmosphere.

The Balcon De Europa really comes to life at night and is great for watching the street entertainment or just people watching.

If you want something a little livelier at night, then Tutti Frutti Square is the place to head for.

If you're into that sort of thing, then the Caves Of Nerja are a good morning out and can be reached by local bus from the main bus station in Nerja.

There is plenty to do and see in Nerja and it has a great atmosphere without being all plastic and touristy, retaining a lot of its original Spanish charm and feel. (Jeez, I sound like a guide book ... but then it is one of my favourite parts of Spain).

Thanks for your advice SJN, cant wait to get there now. :038:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670