Post Match Hull 2 Leicester 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting that Kasper was given the captain's armband rather than Wellens after Mills was sent-off.

I hope Kasper has been made vice-captain under NP and will be captain for our next game with Mills' suspended (personally, I'd like to see him made captain permanently).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15902031.stm

Pearson seems to say it was a definite red card.

Always love NP's interviews, saying he quite enjoyed the slating he got from the Hull fans. :icon_lol:

I was not excited by NP's return, but he has done well and, listening to his post match interview today, when he was almost pressured to whinge, I thought that he was absolutely brilliant. No excuses, we were beaten and have to do better. Well said, sir. I take my hat off to you and accept that I was wrong to question your return. :038:

We made a decent fight of it 2nd half i thought, but we were never going to hold out for a point for 20/25 minutes. Bit surprised he brought Fernandes on and moved Gally to lone striker role. Should have been Howard and keep Gally in midfield. Wellens was shite particularly first half. Konchesky our best of a poor bunch today.

I think it's harsh to call the defence poor today tbh. Going forward, yes, but defensively I think we were sound and were only undone by a penalty and a semi-wonder goal.

I think it's harsh to call the defence poor today tbh. Going forward, yes, but defensively I think we were sound and were only undone by a penalty and a semi-wonder goal.

I agree we defended pretty stoutly. We were lacking ideas going forward though and the indecisiveness was clear from a number of players when pushing forward sometimes. We were just second best.

I agree we defended pretty stoutly. We were lacking ideas going forward though and the indecisiveness was clear from a number of players when pushing forward sometimes. We were just second best.

Granted, I wasn't at the game yesterday but it does seem to be a common theme all season in that we lack ideas going forward. There's no doubt in my mind where we need strengthening in January and I'm sure Pearson knows the same too. We'll be nearly, and not quite, with what we have at the minute so we do just need that creative spark (or genius) to push into the play-off places (permanently) and beyond. It needs to come from the midfield whether centrally or from the flanks.

I can't wait until January so NP can bring some of his own players in and finally ditch this rotten midfield SGE has left him with.

I can't wait until January so NP can bring some of his own players in and finally ditch this rotten midfield SGE has left him with.

To be fair the midfield he has played up until yesterday consisted entirely of his signings from his last spell and King, who emerged under him.

But I think a priority has to be a left sided player if we are playing 4-4-2. As much as I like Lloyd, I think he is a squad player, not a regular starter these days.

Also I don't necessarily think the players Sven bought in are crap. The problem is that we have an excessive amount of central midfielders.

To be fair the midfield he has played up until yesterday consisted entirely of his signings from his last spell and King, who emerged under him.

But I think a priority has to be a left sided player if we are playing 4-4-2. As much as I like Lloyd, I think he is a squad player, not a regular starter these days.
Also I don't necessarily think the players Sven bought in are crap. The problem is that we have an excessive amount of central midfielders.

SGE brought in some good defensive players and Nugent, but a load of very average, similar and entirely pointless midfielders.

Dyer and Gallagher were both rotation players for a lot of the 09/10 season though and spent about half of it on the bench and Wellens imo is definitely on the decline since then. Not that we're a million miles away, but we do need better midfielders. I like King, but Wellens, Dyer and Gallagher are all a bit average, with the occasional flashes of brilliance, at this level, aren't they? At the very least, they are all very inconsistent players.

Last edited:
SGE brought in some good defensive players and Nugent, but a load of very average, similar and entirely pointless midfielders.

Dyer and Gallagher were both rotation players for a lot of the 09/10 season though and spent about half of it on the bench and Wellens imo is definitely on the decline since then. Not that we're a million miles away, but we do need better midfielders. I like King, but Wellens, Dyer and Gallagher are all a bit average, with the occasional flashes of brilliance, at this level, aren't they? At the very least, they are all very inconsistent players.

True, but my point is that you can't blame Sven for bringing in any of them!

To be honest, I don't want a radical overhaul of the squad in January though-if that happens, we may as well start planning for next season already. 1 or 2 smart acquistions is all that we need.

Agree with you DD, but I think 4 or 5 additions is more like it. I don't want an overhaul wither, we have a good spine to our side, we just need more in midfield and out wide.

Go back in January & get Koren.Nothing to do with yesterdays goal,just happen to think he's a fantastic player...have said this before in another thread.Look no further for a midfielder a cut above anything we currently have.

Out of contract in July too.

Come on Santa...sort it out.

We might have had Koren when Sousa was here but he choose to go to Hull instead.

Sousa had been following him quite closely in August 2010 as he mentioned on RL when he was quizzed by fans on the phone-in and Ross asked him about Koren and ALF. Sousa spoke in detail about Koren but I imagine that Milan pu his oar in and not sanction whatever money Koren was after.

I suspect we'll go for a winger and a central defender. I would give pretty good odds that we do not sign a central midfielder.

Our very worst midfielder right now was signed by Pearson. I lost count yesterday of the number of times I thought to myself "Wellens gives the ball away".

Mills looked like he deserved to be sent off as he did trip after completing the tackle.

Twice now he has got himself sent off stupidly and changed the game in the negative for us, it feels like he is a bit of a liability.

Our very worst midfielder right now was signed by Pearson. I lost count yesterday of the number of times I thought to myself "Wellens gives the ball away".

I agree with you, but then I may be just having one of my vendettas I've been accussed of having in the past when I make up my mind about a player ;), as I've never been a Wellens fan, I've always thought he was overrated. I've never thought he was much better than Gareth Williams.

Think the same about him as what I've been saying about Mills too. Even at their best they're both just good, but hardly great Championship players and at their worst they are terrible and their worst probably comes round more often than their best, or as often at the very least.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670