If you were God..............

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's an interesting fact that when archaeologists unearthed the ruins of Pompei they discovered written on the walls of the city in Latin the words "Sodomah et Gomorrah". Which obviously translates to Sodom and Gomorrah, two cities mentioned in the bible which were also destroyed by cataclysmic volcanic activity. :icon_conf

Do you mean the ruins of Pompeii?
Pompei is the modern city.
Oh yeah, I'm getting pedantic.

Just out of curiosity, are you actually sure this is true?
Pompeii was destroyed over 250 years before Christianity became the official religion of the Roman Empire, and it wasn't exactly a popular holiday spot for Jews or early Christians.

I'm absolutely delighted.

jessel, open your mind, only you can do that , it is up to you, the truth is out there. ( and it doesn't involve magical nonsense)

You and Jeff should open the opposite to a jehovah's witness. I'll keep an open mind in the morning. Im off to bed now. God bless you :icon_lol:

Do you mean the ruins of Pompeii?
Pompei is the modern city.
Oh yeah, I'm getting pedantic.

Just out of curiosity, are you actually sure this is true?
Pompeii was destroyed over 250 years before Christianity became the official religion of the Roman Empire, and it wasn't exactly a popular holiday spot for Jews or early Christians.

How could I mean the ruins of the modern city??? Of course I meant the city that was destroyed in 79 a.d.

Yes you are being pedantic, but that's ok.

I'm positive it's true. And Christianity was up and running around the time Jesus first started his ministry, hence it had been a religion for 79 years when Vesuvius erupted. I shouldn't imagine early Christians had time to holiday, they were probably too busy being thrown into the arena or nailed to crosses.

Besides, Sodom and Gomorrah were old testament and therefore it wasn't necessarily a Christian who wrote that on the walls. Could have been a jew. Or, and this is stretching it a bit, an angel of the lord. After all, they were in Sodom. Who knows? I don't claim to know everything. :icon_conf

The difference is that you do not posses a critical mind & accept whatever is served up to you by people that ultimately want to control your method of thought.

I've read books on every religion Macky. And believe me I didn't want to believe what I do now. It took many years of studying buddhism, hinduism, the koran, and the bible, the torah, yoga, astrology, the lakota red indian white buffalo woman and anything else I could lay my open mind on before I had a revelation. When you seek the truth with passion and determination you'll find it. No bible basher converted me, by the way. It was an entirely spiritual thing. I don't go to church much as I think most of them are focussed on money rather than teaching the truth. I've known many Christians who are hypocrites and ungodly. I pray a bit, but not as often as I probably should. I'm not perfect but through the blood of the lamb shed for me on the cross at Calvary I am saved. And all I can say is beam me up Scotty. This world is going down the gurgler. We're getting more and more immoral every year. Soon it will be against the law to be heterosexual, the way things are going. As someone who contemplated being a priest at one stage surely you can see some truth in what I'm saying. God still loves you Macky. Trust me on that one ... (oooh look, ellipses) ... :icon_wink

How could I mean the ruins of the modern city??? Of course I meant the city that was destroyed in 79 a.d.

Yes you are being pedantic, but that's ok.

I'm positive it's true. And Christianity was up and running around the time Jesus first started his ministry, hence it had been a religion for 79 years when Vesuvius erupted. I shouldn't imagine early Christians had time to holiday, they were probably too busy being thrown into the arena or nailed to crosses.

Besides, Sodom and Gomorrah were old testament and therefore it wasn't necessarily a Christian who wrote that on the walls. Could have been a jew. Or, and this is stretching it a bit, an angel of the lord. After all, they were in Sodom. Who knows? I don't claim to know everything. :icon_conf

I was just being ridiculously pedantic with the first bit for shits and giggles.

Jesus started his ministry around the age of 30, so we're looking at about 50 years of Christianity being around.
Pompeii, an affluent town which was a popular holiday destination, doesn't strike me as a place when Christianity would really happen so soon.
I mention Jews in my first post, and it's highly unlikely they would've been strolling around Pompeii given the happenings of the time (the revolt against Rome, the Roman's destruction of Jerusalem).
The fact it was unlikely that anyone was in Pompeii who would know of Sodom and Gomorrah, and that I studied Pompeii (including a visit the ruins) without hearing this story leads to my doubt.

I was just being ridiculously pedantic with the first bit for shits and giggles.

Jesus started his ministry around the age of 30, so we're looking at about 50 years of Christianity being around.
Pompeii, an affluent town which was a popular holiday destination, doesn't strike me as a place when Christianity would really happen so soon.
I mention Jews in my first post, and it's highly unlikely they would've been strolling around Pompeii given the happenings of the time (the revolt against Rome, the Roman's destruction of Jerusalem).
The fact it was unlikely that anyone was in Pompeii who would know of Sodom and Gomorrah, and that I studied Pompeii (including a visit the ruins) without hearing this story leads to my doubt.

How do you figure 50 years? If he was around 30 and was crucified I think at the age of either 35 or 38 (can't recall exactly) you're looking at 79 years plus however long he had converts adhering to his teachings. Closer to 80 would be my guess?

It's not unlikely that people in Pompeii would have known of Sodom or Gomorrah at all. People had scrolls etc. and also stories were handed down from generation to generation. Anyway it's in an encyclopedia I have that they found the writing on the wall. :icon_conf

It's late here and I'm off to bed. Goodnight. :tumbleweed:

How do you figure 50 years? If he was around 30 and was crucified I think at the age of either 35 or 38 (can't recall exactly) you're looking at 79 years plus however long he had converts adhering to his teachings. Closer to 80 would be my guess?

It's not unlikely that people in Pompeii would have known of Sodom or Gomorrah at all. People had scrolls etc. and also stories were handed down from generation to generation. Anyway it's in an encyclopedia I have that they found the writing on the wall. :icon_conf

If he started his teachings at the age of 30 then we're looking at around 30AD.
Pompeii was destroyed in 79AD, hence around 50 years.

Okay, I'll explain it like this. Jesus was sent because there was no other way to save any of us. Everyone had sinned (disobeyed God). Therefore everyone had to die. Unless there was a sacrifice for those sins. That's where Jesus comes in. He's the equivalent of the old testament sin offering. For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten son...

yes we're all born with original sin because of Adam eating the apple in the garden of Eden

you know.... Adam...who populated the earth by having three sons about 6000 years ago

jackafuckingnory again...

If he started his teachings at the age of 30 then we're looking at around 30AD.
Pompeii was destroyed in 79AD, hence around 50 years.

Yes of course, you're correct. About fifty would be right. I've got to get out of this mindset that a.d. means after death. Embarrassing for someone that calls himself a Christian. :icon_redf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669