Internet Service Providers

Status
Not open for further replies.
MKFox said:
I'm still blackmailing that sheep you poked, he's still too shamed to go public...
Wasn't a Melton one then, them fukkers blag no sooner than you leave the field

NTL are crap. They kept charging me after I moved house last year - and had told them I'd moved. I didn't know they'd kept charging me though because their bills went to my old address, Royal Mail redirection didn't seem to pick up the stuff from them.

After a couple of months with no final bill from them I thought I'd remind them, and contacted them via the internet to remind them I'd moved.

Then after about 6 months something was redirected from my old address - it was from a debt collection company, trying to collect for about 5 months worth of NTL line rental.
So I wrote to them and explained what had happened, and told them my new address, and included a cheque for the amount I think I owed when I moved. They have written several more threatening letters, all sent to my old address again. I know they received the letter because they told me they'd received the cheque, so they're also as incompetent as NTL. I'm hoping it eventually gets to court so I can prove what idiots they all are. Wankers the lot of them.

I live on a road where the house numbers go upto 200+. I was with Ntl with a telephone and sky package but my internet was only 56k dial up. I rang Ntl after they bombarded me with info through the post about their broadband service. This being an obvious step up i decided to change to broadband service, only to find that in the whole of my road theres only two houses not able to receive broadband from ntl. You've guessed it!!!. They were dumped and i am now satisfied with my BT and tesco internet combination. Ntl have a word , your customer service is shocking.

A while back someone put a drill through NTL's main cable in this area. Naturally, their call centre was innundated with calls, so they responded by shutting it down & sending their staff home for a couple of days.

OldGit said:
A while back someone put a drill through NTL's main cable in this area. Naturally, their call centre was innundated with calls, so they responded by shutting it down & sending their staff home for a couple of days.
they were probably stressed the poor little darlings.

fcukcov said:
they were probably stressed the poor little darlings.

No, it was the staff who blew the whistle - sending them home meant NTL only had to give them their basic pay, thereby saving shift allowances and whetver extras made up their pay when at work. others were casual staff, who they just stopped paying.

I've been with NTL for 8 years and never had a moments trouble with them. The line's gone 'wonky' a couple of times but each time they've resolved it by sending someone out within a couple of hours. Good old NTL.

webmaster said:
Bulldog have got an awful reputation, I wouldn't go anywhere near them.

Spot on!! called them today to fond out what was happening with my order, simple answer -sweet FA. Didnt have any confidence in the person I spoke to either, so cancelled the order on the spot. 2 minutes on the phone to BT and my broadband will be connected next Monday. No dearer than Bulldog in the end either and they reckon I will get 6.5meg in real terms.

Durham Fox said:
Spot on!! called them today to fond out what was happening with my order, simple answer -sweet FA. Didnt have any confidence in the person I spoke to either, so cancelled the order on the spot. 2 minutes on the phone to BT and my broadband will be connected next Monday. No dearer than Bulldog in the end either and they reckon I will get 6.5meg in real terms.

whichever provider you use your line speed is going to be the same as they are all using the same BT infrastructure, unless it's a cable connection instead of DSL.

Do you think BT will be able to sort out my line problem quicker if I register with them?

joe501 said:
Do you think BT will be able to sort out my line problem quicker if I register with them?

BT internet is a dfferent company to the one that provides the wholesale broadband connections, so they shouldn't be any quicker than any other ISP, it's all down to customer service.

newtonfox said:
is talk talk anygood as im think of moving to them £10 A MONTH and if they install their stuff in the exchange it will be free

phone and broadband £30 a month :102:

all the ISPs install their own DSLAMS in the exchange where BT will allow them but that doesn't mean it will be any more or less reliable than a BT maintained DSLAM.
Line problems are usually exactly that, line problems, i.e. the copper wire from the exchange to your house which is still maintained by BT.

from what i've heard talktalk's tech support is none existant.

Last edited:
Macky said:
Line problems are usually exactly that, line problems, i.e. the copper wire from the exchange to your house which is still maintained by BT.

Or a problem with the wiring in your house.

I had connection problems, so a BT engineer came to check the line last week. He discovered there was a problem with the socket in the bedroom (which isn't even used), which was causing problems with the broadband.

He also showed me a trick to help determine whether it's a problem such as this. If you unscrew the plate where the master BT socket is, it should disconnect all the other sockets in the house, you can then plug your broadband into the master to see if you're still having problems.

webmaster said:
He also showed me a trick to help determine whether it's a problem such as this. If you unscrew the plate where the master BT socket is, it should disconnect all the other sockets in the house, you can then plug your broadband into the master to see if you're still having problems.

that is a handy way to check your internal wiring but will only work if you have an NTE5 socket.

newtonfox said:
is talk talk anygood as im think of moving to them £10 A MONTH and if they install their stuff in the exchange it will be free

phone and broadband £30 a month :102:
im with them and if you dont have to ring them then they are generally okay, and you can always go into a carphone warehouse if you have a problem and they can generally help you out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669