is history going to repeat itself?

Status
Not open for further replies.

st albans fox

yea, yea, yea ............ heard it all before ........ just hearsay. however, i was told of the content of one of the 'interviews' for our new manager via a close friend of one of those interviewees: the discussion was rather short when it became apparent that Mr Chairman intended to veto any signings that he wasn't in agreement with; that Mr Chairman wanted a very active role in the day to day decision making relating to team affairs.

Now this got me thinking back to Pompey history and i'll take a lesson if i remember things incorrectly......... Porstsmouth only became 'successful and stable' after the return of Harry from Soton. Lets asume that Harry only returned to the club on the basis that MM would butt out of team affairs and signings ....... remember that he left cos of MM interference in things re Jim Smith/ director of football etc. he would surely never have come back unless MM commited to this. how long did MM stay at Pompey once he couldn't enjoy his day to day meddling? (assuming i'm right??)

So, are we seeing the same thing happening with our club? (and i appreciate that without MM's arrival we would likely be in Div 1 now). I'm just pointing out that success is very unlikely until we get a manager that is able to tell MM to leave the running of the team to him. i can't believe that IH is in a strong enough position to do this. a four year contract and security for his family would, in my opinion, be enough to get IH to swallow his pride - so we have to wait for at least one more manager to break out of the malaise that we are in.

yea, yea, yea ............ heard it all before ........ just hearsay. however, i was told of the content of one of the 'interviews' for our new manager via a close friend of one of those interviewees: the discussion was rather short when it became apparent that Mr Chairman intended to veto any signings that he wasn't in agreement with; that Mr Chairman wanted a very active role in the day to day decision making relating to team affairs.

Now this got me thinking back to Pompey history and i'll take a lesson if i remember things incorrectly......... Porstsmouth only became 'successful and stable' after the return of Harry from Soton. Lets asume that Harry only returned to the club on the basis that MM would butt out of team affairs and signings ....... remember that he left cos of MM interference in things re Jim Smith/ director of football etc. he would surely never have come back unless MM commited to this. how long did MM stay at Pompey once he couldn't enjoy his day to day meddling? (assuming i'm right??)

So, are we seeing the same thing happening with our club? (and i appreciate that without MM's arrival we would likely be in Div 1 now). I'm just pointing out that success is very unlikely until we get a manager that is able to tell MM to leave the running of the team to him. i can't believe that IH is in a strong enough position to do this. a four year contract and security for his family would, in my opinion, be enough to get IH to swallow his pride - so we have to wait for at least one more manager to break out of the malaise that we are in.

Holloway doesn't strike me as the sort of man who would deal with any meddling in team affairs, and I hope that MM has learnt his lesson in that department after the disaster of the summer signings. I've no doubt that Holloway would walk without 100% control.

I thought Harry and Milans main disagreement was over agents fees?

i appreciate that without MM's arrival we would likely be in Div 1 now

:102:

When he took over last season we were 17th. We finished 19th. So it doesn't look like he saved us from relegation.

Maybe you think we'd have gone into administration without him and would have been docked 10 points. But we finished 11 points clear of the relegation places.

I think I recall Holloway saying that Milan was only too happy to let him be responsible for signing players. So maybe there won't be too much meddling in that respect. Just can't recall where I read it now. :icon_conf

Porstsmouth only became 'successful and stable' after the return of Harry from Soton.

Admittedly they are excelling themselves at the moment, but they were doing OK before Redknapp left. It was when he left they had problems and when he came back he managed to keep them up.

Admittedly they are excelling themselves at the moment, but they were doing OK before Redknapp left. It was when he left they had problems and when he came back he managed to keep them up.

You just had to reach 2200 posts didn't you? Tosser. :icon_wink

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670