Is Liverpool the second city?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Gwilliam

Time for another long very long piece of provocation.

Leicester are about to play Everton who are 7th in the table while Liverpool are currently 3rd. Meanwhile Birmingham does not have any club in the Premier League. In terms of population Birmingham is the second city but it consistently underperforms not just in football but in other areas.

Most people can name a number of Liverpool singers from the 1960s. However, music flourished in Liverpool in the 1950s Billy Fury was arguably the nearest thing to a British Elvis. Michael Holliday was a massive star and Frankie Vaughan even bigger. Liverpool also produced a top female vocalist the glamorous and talented Lita Rosa (1) No doubt Birmingham has produced some famous singers but I can not think of one.

The biggest comedy star of the 1940s was Tommy Handley(2) who was a scouser (3). Liverpool also produced such greats as Arthur Askey, Ken Dodd (4) Stan Boardman and Jimmy Tarbuck. Here Birmingham has not done badly with Tony Hancock and Jasper Carrot.

Birmingham produced one great politician in Joseph Chamberlain (5) Liverpool produced the greatest politician of the Victorian Age in Gladstone. More recently Harold Wilson (born in Yorkshire) was a Liverpool MP as was Bessie Braddock a legendary battle axe. .

I cannot knock Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery since in the 1990s I suggested with my usual tact that the Leicester art gallery at New Walk should get somebody from Birmingham to show them how to hang paintings properly. (6) However, I would argue that the Walker Gallery in Liverpool is even better than Birmingham and Liverpool also has a branch of the Tate. There is also a Slavery Museum (7) and a Maritime Museum.

My passion is architectural history and there are some fine buildings in Birmingham. When I was young they had one of the great spaces in Britain called Chamberlain Square. In the 1960s and 1970s when Victorian architecture was despised by the planners they quite deliberately vandalised it by a statue of appalling banality and a piece of extreme brutalist architecture. Liverpool is full of wonderful buildings culminating in St Georges Hall which is far better than anything Birmingham or Manchester (8) has got.

Birmingham has no river. They like to boast that they have more miles of canal than Venice. I can only think they have not seen the canals of Venice. Liverpool has a magnificent river and is a great port. It has done a wonderful job with the Albert Docks. It is interesting that London's docklands which is full of wonderful architecture is about money whereas the Albert Docks is about people.

Birmingham Cathedral is no better than a good parish church. Liverpool's Anglican Cathedral is arguably the greatest Victorian church in England. The Catholic Church nicknamed The Wigwam is more controversial and there are those who see it as great.

Liverpool people have always seemed proud of their city which is certainly not true of Leicester. (9)Perhaps it is the spirit of Liverpudlians that I like. My experience is that a night out with Scousers like one with Geordies or Aussies is always fun.

(1) Lita Rosa is most famous for "How Much Is That Doggie In The Window". This is unfair as it was a song she rightly despised as rubbish. She was a rarity - a singer who refused to perform her biggest hit.
(2\) Tommy Handley is now forgotten. However, his radio shows ITMA (Its That Man Again ) was as popular in the 1940s as Morecombe & Wise in the 1970s.
(3) Scouse is in fact a form of stew. It is difficult to get it in todays Liverpool as it was seen as a poor man meal. However, if you are in Liverpool you can get it at St Georges Hall.
(4) Do not judge Ken Dodd by his TV performances with the diddy men. You need to see Ken Dodd live.
(5) This was the father of Neville Chamberlain . Joseph Chamberlain was described as "a Birmingham businessman with the vision of a Caesar"
(6) In fairness the paintings have recently been hung properly
(7) The Slave Trade is a great stain on Liverpool's history but in recent years it has not shied away from confronting its past.
(8) I have only visited Manchester twice which means I do not know enough to judge it as a city.
(9) Leicester has honoured Nelson Mandela with a park and Gandhi with a statue. They were both admirable but neither showed any interest in Leicester. Most bizarre is naming a garden after Jesse Jackson who has never had anything good to say about this country.

There are a ton of great musicians from Birmingham but that's a small point. Birmingham is and always has been a working city, the industrial heart of England and we all know that people don't work in Liverpool.

Much as I love Liverpool and its people, and dislike the alternative and its people, Manchester combines the population and the cultural contribution to be England's 2nd city.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Led Zep, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest some up how important Birmingham was to the music scene. That's without forgetting Duran Duran, Dexy's, UB40, FYC from a later era. ELO, Traffic, the Move, The Moody blues from an earlier era. And without B'ham musicians we couldn't wish it could be Christmas everyday.

The likes of Stan Boardman and Jimmy Tarbuck being used in a pro Liverpool argument is funny and can only be ironic.

Aside from the Beatles, my experience of it is that it's a pointless, backwards, self-obsessed, shithole.

Every City has some good and some bad aspects. I don't agree with using buildings as a measure of a place. It's the people and produce that matter. Liverpool's best export is petty criminals and scroungers.

I take an immediate dislike to a place that witters on about itself so inexplicably, undeservedly and constantly. Liverpool always seem to be the worst at this.

There are few places that I enjoy leaving more.

Used to be a decent night out in Liverpool, back in the day, and the girls were well filthy

That is all

London is shit and full of the wankers who live there. IMO, most other cities fall into the trap of trying to emulate it by being shit and full of other wankers. Birmingham's shit, Manchester's shit, Leeds is really shit, Liverpool is whiny curlers-in-the-hair shit - they're all shit. They can all **** off.

I'm making York the first city and Bath can be number two. Because vikings and thermal baths.

The Beatles for Liverpool and UB40 for Birmingham if they've not been mentioned
I certainly have no particular liking for either, and I'd go with Jeff on this and choose Manchester, which has a great night life, theatres, and the BBC choose it, well Salford to be more precise, as their base after leaving London. They no doubt didn't feel like revitalising Pebble Mill.

The industrial revolution for Birmingham.

Art history since 1750s

The Midlands enlightenment

The Birmingham school of Landscape

Pre-raphaelite art

The Arts and Crafts movement

the Birmingham surrealists

Many turner prize winners

Sculpture

Industrial design

Birmingham and the Midlans in general areunfairly portrayed in the arts against the romantic view of the North and the centrist view of London.

Birmingham has no river. They like to boast that they have more miles of canal than Venice. I can only think they have not seen the canals of Venice. Liverpool has a magnificent river

Birmingham has the River Rea, the River Tame and the River Cole; all of which run through it. Liverpool merely has the Mersey which runs along its boundary; the "magnificent river" could also be said to belong to Birkenhead, Runcorn, Widnes, Warrington and sundry other places as far east as Manchester and Stockport. Venice has 26 miles of canals; the Birmingham Canal Navigations still stretch for just over 100 miles (formerly about 160 miles), 35 miles of which are within the city boundary.

Huyton is not Liverpool. Harold Wilson might have had an odd accent but it was immeasurably more pleasant than that of a Liverpudlian.

I'm making York the first city

York has neither Richard III nor a football club in the top 92. On that criteria, I declare Leicester the first city.

Our own Gary Mills may be in the midst of saving York City's place in the top 116

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Our own Gary Mills may be in the midst of saving York City's place in the top 116

I expect he will be pleased that Solihull Motors' (near Birmingham) goal difference was greatly increased yesterday.

Do you mean Solihull Moors?

Almost certainly. I'd never heard of Solihull Motors until my finger accidentally hit the t a few moments ago.

Almost certainly. I'd never heard of Solihull Motors until my finger accidentally hit the t a few moments ago.

So you're hitting the tea again are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669