Is Sky ruining the game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevewalshwasgod

Further to what Bocs said, in the moan in thread, just wondered what all of you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky Fox
i cant fecking wait till leicester get in to the permiership then i can make the most of sky with football first and chosing the angles and all the other things that come with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewalshwasgod
Thats what I have been waiting for too!!!!

Spanky has the excuse of distance but somebody from Wigston can get all the information they need by actually going to the match. When are people going to realise that Sky is the biggest enemy of football and the biggest enemy of the football fan?

and If you take sky away now, where would all the money be in the game? Im not saying sky is amazing because it isnt and overcharges us viewers in my view by 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewalshwasgod
and If you take sky away now, where would all the money be in the game? Im not saying sky is amazing because it isnt and overcharges us viewers in my view by 50%
can we discuss this in another thread? Not sure which section to post it in?

but is it money that has ruined the game?

no it hasn't, becuase we still go to the game and we still support, watching the game on sky and watching it live is a whole different expierence but when you can't make it to the game, sky is the next best thing. the team can buy better players because sky are giving them the money from us watching them

Last edited:
no it hasn't

Tell that to a Rotherham fan!

NB: this response was posted before Spanky edited his post. At the time of writing, all he had said was that money had not ruined the game.

Last edited:
I think it has made the game bigger

Or smaller, depending on how you look at it.

There's no doubt that for a very few clubs, it has given them opportunities that could never have been dreamed of. But for the vast majority, it has severely limited their ambitions.

personally think it has widened the gap in terms of bottom half premier top half premier and also championship and premier.

Or smaller, depending on how you look at it.

There's no doubt that for a very few clubs, it has given them opportunities that could never have been dreamed of. But for the vast majority, it has severely limited their ambitions.
I can agree with you there, Im not saying that sky is the be all and end all, and it has made the bigger clubs get so far away that the smaller clubs hardly have a chance of winning the league.

Last edited:
From a selfish view point i love to be able to come home from work and watch a premiership footy game from the comfort of my sofa most nights of the week. :)

From a selfish view point i love to be able to come home from work and watch a premiership footy game from the comfort of my sofa most nights of the week. :)

And I love to have a yummy scrummy cigarette every now and then

But deep down I know full well that it will kill me

And I love to have a yummy scrummy cigarette every now and then

But deep down I know full well that it will kill me

nice, still dont know how anyone can describe a smoke as yummy scrummy :)

If you take sky away youve still got the same teams and the same players, they would just earn a lot less. It's slowly ruining the game yes.

Sky have somewhat ruined bits of the game but I think the most important factor in what has ruined the game was the collapse of ITV Digital.
It goes further back than that. The Italians and Spanish are the root of the problem. They initiated the practise of importing the cream of World football for vastly inflated prices, and with unsustainable wages, which has had the ripple effect into our game. Coupled with greedy agents, the gravy train has now run out of control.
If it wasn't for Sky's handout, and the likes of Abramovich, the various Arabs, the Yanks etc. (who I fear will eventually get bored with their 'toys') supplementing the chosen few, the game in this country would have seen a lot more home grown stars benefiting from more regular top shelf football, with a smattering of imports to add the needed sparkle and diversity to the game.
The money in the game goes to the top and remains there, except on the rare occassion where a smaller club manages to nurture a star of the quality of say Wescott. It's virtually a cartell.
The lucky thing at the moment is the economy which is able to sustain large average crowds, Sky subscriptions, merchandise sales etc,etc. I fear there are a large number of clubs on a knife edge who will really feel the pinch if we experience a recession. It's only a matter of time.

It goes further back than that. The Italians and Spanish are the root of the problem. They initiated the practise of importing the cream of World football for vastly inflated prices, and with unsustainable wages, which has had the ripple effect into our game. Coupled with greedy agents, the gravy train has now run out of control.
If it wasn't for Sky's handout, and the likes of Abramovich, the various Arabs, the Yanks etc. (who I fear will eventually get bored with their 'toys') supplementing the chosen few, the game in this country would have seen a lot more home grown stars benefiting from more regular top shelf football, with a smattering of imports to add the needed sparkle and diversity to the game.
The money in the game goes to the top and remains there, except on the rare occassion where a smaller club manages to nurture a star of the quality of say Wescott. It's virtually a cartell.
The lucky thing at the moment is the economy which is able to sustain large average crowds, Sky subscriptions, merchandise sales etc,etc. I fear there are a large number of clubs on a knife edge who will really feel the pinch if we experience a recession. It's only a matter of time.

:038: Spot on

Imo it's killing the game the top few clubs are getting richer in the next tier of clubs the players are getting richer as clubs attempt to keep up with the big boys and the extra money they gain from sky is going straight out of the game.

Look at the top 3 in the championship and they all have a sprinkling of loan players from premiership sides. The fact they need to resort to this highlights the gap between the haves and have not’s. Football would be in a far healthier state if more sides were capable of challenging for honours, not necessarily winning titles but pushing the top 4 by not having the 30 point gap between 1st and 5th as it is in the premier league at the moment.

The more money injected by sky will not even out the playing field it will only make the gap bigger.:icon_sad:

Give sky control of all 4 leagues then at least the money will be more evenly spread

The thing on Football Focus a month or so ago was a bit worrying.
Something like £30m for bottom of Prem and only £1m for winning the Championship?
By my logic the only reason to go up is to get relegated again, then spend the £30m on a shit-hot team to get you promoted again and stay in the prem!
But the suit from the Premier League said they were handing out more money than ever to the lower divisions... so that must make it ok then :s

Give sky control of all 4 leagues then at least the money will be more evenly spread

Doubt it Sky have disregarded any lower tier sport before. So many times I have seen minority sports like Speedway, Basketball, Ice Hockey and all they are bothered about is the top tier. I don't mean in terms of coverage but these sports sell their whole broadcasting deal. So it means their division 1, 2 and 3 as well as Premier. The money never reaches them.

Sky in a way saved Div 1,2 and 3 when ITV Digital fell through, Sky saved them by deciding to provide coverage of it when every other broadcaster didnt want to know.

Sky aren't ruining anything. Its the Premier League which keep re-negotiating higher broadcasting rights, Sky just outbid other broadcasters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669