ITV Premiership rights for next four years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I read in the Guardian that ITV have signed some huge four year deal with the FA
I can't believe nobody has questioned this!!!!! I have been hanging back to allow somebody else to insult you instead, but I'm stepping up now.

Did you really read something in the Guardian that you have an avid interest in, and then immediately forget you read it?

How the f**k can you "think" you read it? You either did, or you didn't!!!!!!

I will never watch a version of ITV's 'The Premiershite' ever again. They have nobodies like Robbie Earle and Andy Townsend summarising, they always show about half an hour of a boring game which will always include one of the big 4 teams, and then show about 30 seconds of the half-decent games. Unlike MOTD which always has the most entertaining game as the major game, regardless of which teams are playing in it.

was that a joke?

Just wonder how much longer the prem will remain an attractive watch. People dont like to see predictable one sided games. They dont always want to see Man U, Chelsea, Liv, Arse, Chels, Man U,Arse, Liv blah blah.
The league itself is not so much about the skill of a manager or its players but the size of the wallet that controls it. Lets face it QPR will soon be joining the band-wagon and it wont have anything to do with a manager that people didnt even want to come here.
Like many i pay for the service of watching these star studded teams. But ask me how many games i actually watch as opposed to 4-5 years ago. I know that for the next few years barring the odd indiscretion what the top 4 will be. There will be the wannabe clubs swapping place from 5th to around 14th and that leaves the most interesting part of the prem......the relegation scrap.
There is of course like H says less demand for lower lge football, but at least you will get a season in all 3 divisions where there will be plenty of tension, players playing for their futures rather than their bling, and genuine club fans rather than premier rent-a-fan teams.
Good quality football it may not be, but at least you'll see competition rather than predictability.

I think the creation of a European 'super league' would help the english game big time. It'd take some of the money away from our league and foreign players would want to be looking at playing in the super league rather than the premiership. Take out the big four and it isn't that predictable imo. Man City & Villa would have been battling it out for the title most of last season, despite neither of them contesting the year before and Spurs winning it the previous two years.

I think the creation of a European 'super league' would help the english game big time. It'd take some of the money away from our league and foreign players would want to be looking at playing in the super league rather than the premiership. Take out the big four and it isn't that predictable imo. Man City & Villa would have been battling it out for the title most of last season, despite neither of them contesting the year before and Spurs winning it the previous two years.
Wouldn't take long for there to be another big four. Newcastle, Tottenham, Everton and Man City for Example. In ten years, we'd be trying to ship these out as well.

Wouldn't take long for there to be another big four. Newcastle, Tottenham, Everton and Man City for Example. In ten years, we'd be trying to ship these out as well.

I think it's take a long time for that to happen due the reduced revenue that success would bring.

It may also dicourage these mega-bucks owners from buying clubs for solely commercial reasons.

The diversion of interest and revenue could only be a good thing.

i dont like itv sport and as for match of the day ive never really watched it even when we were on there and as for the big 4 teams their games against each other are more often than not seriously over-hyped affairs

Just wonder how much longer the prem will remain an attractive watch. People dont like to see predictable one sided games. They dont always want to see Man U, Chelsea, Liv, Arse, Chels, Man U,Arse, Liv blah blah.
The league itself is not so much about the skill of a manager or its players but the size of the wallet that controls it. Lets face it QPR will soon be joining the band-wagon and it wont have anything to do with a manager that people didnt even want to come here.
Like many i pay for the service of watching these star studded teams. But ask me how many games i actually watch as opposed to 4-5 years ago. I know that for the next few years barring the odd indiscretion what the top 4 will be. There will be the wannabe clubs swapping place from 5th to around 14th and that leaves the most interesting part of the prem......the relegation scrap.
There is of course like H says less demand for lower lge football, but at least you will get a season in all 3 divisions where there will be plenty of tension, players playing for their futures rather than their bling, and genuine club fans rather than premier rent-a-fan teams.
Good quality football it may not be, but at least you'll see competition rather than predictability.

Maybe but I think you will see just as many boring drab affairs in League 1 or 2 than you will in the Premier

isnt that more to be expected though given the qualiity of players:102:

Why ? Matches can still be exciting affairs with players that lack the skill of the big names.You don't have to have great skillfull footballers to ensure entertaining football

Why ? Matches can still be exciting affairs with players that lack the skill of the big names.You don't have to have great skillfull footballers to ensure entertaining football
Isn't that the exact opposite of what you have been saying previously?

Sales of Lemon Drizzle are through the floor. Of course, what would cheer Highland up would be to come up with a recipe for Credit Crunch cake, which no doubt would sell well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669