Jason Roberts

Status
Not open for further replies.

gregs_y2k

I've just been watching MOTD 2 and heard Jason Roberts discussing his current status at Blackburn. He says that he is not being allowed to play by the board because of 'contractual' reasons. I think his contract runs out this summer so was just wondering if he's been dropped because he hasn't signed a new one yet. Incredibly harsh if true, especially as he has intimated that he wants to play. Anyone have any light they can shed on this?

Wouldn't be the first time a player could play as they would activate something in their contract.

Also wonder if it's something about needing to be fit to play. Hasn't he had weight issues in the past?

Wouldn't be the first time a player could play as they would activate something in their contract.

Also wonder if it's something about needing to be fit to play. Hasn't he had weight issues in the past?

I'm pretty sure his contract runs out in the summer so not sure what it might activate. He says he's fit and he looked pretty lean tonight. Intrigued to find out what the issues are.

I'm pretty sure his contract runs out in the summer so not sure what it might activate. He says he's fit and he looked pretty lean tonight. Intrigued to find out what the issues are.
Sounds to me like a certain number of appearances would trigger an automatic extension.

Sounds to me like a certain number of appearances would trigger an automatic extension.

That's what the local paper said as well:

JASON Roberts has become the second Blackburn Rovers player in recent weeks to admit ‘contractual issues’ have left him frozen out at Ewood Park.

A fortnight after Michel Salgado revealed he was not being allowed to play due to terms in his contract, Roberts has said he is suffering from the same issue.

A clause in both player’s contracts means if they play a certain amount of games this season, they would be entitled to another year at the club.

Rovers boss Steve Kean has already denied contract issues had anything to do with Salgado’s exclusion, insisting instead the player had been given time off to speak to other clubs “out of respect”.

Now Roberts’ similar claims will raise further concerns among Rovers fans about the club’s financial position, with two experienced players not available for selection at a time when they are lacking just that.

After Rovers’ impressive draw at Anfield on Boxing Day, Kean said Roberts had not been selected because of injury and that “we can not risk him because he will be an important player for us in the next few months.”

The veteran striker has now opted to put the record straight, and is expected to be available for transfer this month.

He said: “There have been a lot of stories flying about due to the contractual issues I have not been available for selection.

“It is not something I have chosen, it is not down to me, It is the situation I find myself in.

“I did not want it to take away from what is a huge day for the club. It is about the young boys and about Blackburn Rovers progressing. But from my point of view, contractual issues have not allowed me to be selected.

“It is about contractually a few more games would give me a longer contract and obviously there are decisions to be made there.

“Michel Salgado came out and spoke about his situation. I have not been made available and it is something that has impacted me not being involved recently.

“I have been involved in some really tough situations with this football club. When Big Sam first came and trying to get out of relegation zone. I think I scored seven goals and helped in that situation.

“Last year I helped under the current manager. Obviously it is frustrating for me not being involved.

“I am fit and I do want to play for Blackburn Rovers. I don’t know what the decision making is. I want to play and I am available.

“First and foremost it is about the club staying in this division. And everyone has to have the best interests of the club at heart and I certainly have.”

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.u...mits_to_being_frozen_out_at_Blackburn_Rovers/

You can't blame Blackburn for trying to avoid giving two players another lucrative one-year contract, especially when they're past paying any significant role in the side.

Wouldn't mind Roberts at City to be honest, still good enough for the champonship and he's definitely got goals in him.

You can't blame Blackburn for trying to avoid giving two players another lucrative one-year contract, especially when they're past paying any significant role in the side.

Wouldn't mind Roberts at City to be honest, still good enough for the champonship and he's definitely got goals in him.

I'm sure we'd stop that nonsense.

A clause in both player’s contracts means if they play a certain amount of games this season, they would be entitled to another year at the club.
Didn't we have a player in the same situation a few years ago? Can't remember his name.

EDIT; Was it Andy Johnson?

Last edited:
Get him in and tell Sharpeypants to feck off.

Part of the reason I started this thread, because I definitely think he has the quality at this level for a couple more seasons and definitely an improvement on Howard. Just wanted to make sure he hasn't got an attitude problem before touting him as a possible transfer and from what I've read and seen so far, it doesn't seem to be the case.

Nah, from what I remember, he's been a model professional. Always seems to get on with his job without any fuss. He's been really good on 5live when he's been on recently - even when he was getting a lot of stick off of Blackburn fans.

I'd love him here tbh. Get him in Nige! Anyone know how old he is btw? I've got it in my head that he's about 32?

Nah, from what I remember, he's been a model professional. Always seems to get on with his job without any fuss. He's been really good on 5live when he's been on recently - even when he was getting a lot of stick off of Blackburn fans.

I'd love him here tbh. Get him in Nige! Anyone know how old he is btw? I've got it in my head that he's about 32?
Nope. No-one knows, and there is no way to find out.

He's 34 in a couple of weeks.

Ross spoke to him tonight on 5Live ( yeah Ross has had enough of Stringer and now moved on to Savage-last week and Jason tonight)
They were talking about the possibility of the likes of Man U/Chelsea etc. having a "B" team in the lower Leagues, and after him and Jason agreed that it was a bad idea for the English game Ross went and told him that he could come to Leicester. Jason didn't say no and he thanked Ross for the offer.
Is it just that Jason will get a big payoff when he plays his next game for Blackburn and that is why they don't play him or is there another reason Blackburn wont play him.

Last edited:
Surely Roberts would just be another big name on high wages; something I thought we were trying to get away from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669