Just realised that I'm ****ed.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly what I used to think. One of my sons wants to join the police and so I did a bit of research to try and encourage him to study hard at school, only to find that the police require no formal qualifications. Needless to say, I've kept this information to myself!

I also used to think that most jobs required Maths and English GCSE passes, but I was wrong, looking at job ads recently.

But there are plenty of people now who do have the qualifications, so who will they choose come interview time?

Thinking about it, the last few job application forms I completed had tiny sections to fill in about qualifications - a couple weren't big enough to fill mine in and I only have seven 'O' Levels. By far the biggest section is the bit where they want to know all about you and what skills you have. I think more and more employers are realising that having qualifications means you have the ability to pass exams and they're more interested in whether you can do the job they're offering.

How many times have you heard people say to somebody who's just passed their driving test that now they can start learning to drive?

I'm all for working hard at school and passing exams can only help, but the exams are getting so easy now, they practically tell you exactly what the exam papers contain, get you to do a mock, the teachers then tell you where you went wrong/how you can do better. I find it incredible! The exams only last for half the time they used to when I did them - my son looked horrified when I told him my A-levels were 3 hours long each.

Last edited:
But there are plenty of people now who do have the qualifications, so who will they choose come interview time?

The person they feel could do the job best. I applied for a job that was for graduates, didn't expect anything from it but ended up with the job. Yes its an exception, but it shows that qualifications don't guarantee anything (they do help of course)

I'm all for working hard at school and passing exams can only help, but the exams are getting so easy now, they practically tell you exactly what the exam papers contain, get you to do a mock, the teachers then tell you where you went wrong/how you can do better. I find it incredible! The exams only last for half the time they used to when I did them - my son looked horrified when I told him my A-levels were 3 hours long each.

I don't agree that exams are getting easier, and I think everyone keep spouting that really degrades what the children that do try and do succeed achieve. If someone works really hard and comes out with an A* only for the media and their parents to say "well it's not worth anything and anyway, it was easier than when I took them" is wrong.

I do agree there is a lot more "prepping" for the exams, but I think that is only because there is so much pressure on schools now to achieve the grades, because partly that is what is needed later in life. School tables are a joke, they don't take into account the personal development of children and anything other than the ultimate grade, so schools are required to do whatever they can to get these grades to keep operating.

depends what you graduate in and where from

a degree in Media Studies from De Montfort isn't as good as three years in the work place

I used to think, like you, that getting good qualifications was the be-all and end-all, but I know too many people who have successful and well-paid jobs who didn't do well at school.

The 'University of Real Life' provides a much broader education than any academic institution.

a degree in Media Studies from De Montfort isn't as good as three years in the work place

I still don't believe you would be able to get a start without adequate qualifications. I know we won't even interview anyone for a web developer position without a relevant degree or a large degree of experience. We won't give them that experience though, and I don't think many will. When the company started 10 years ago they would because degrees in the field were a lot less common, however lots of people have them now so we can choose.

No amount of bedroom coding will make up for learning from experts at Uni.

Last edited:
If someone works really hard and comes out with an A* only for the media and their parents to say "well it's not worth anything and anyway, it was easier than when I took them" is wrong.
Of course it's worth something - they've got the highest mark possible and that's a great achievement. I doubt any parent would degrade their child by saying the above to them, but the fact is that they ARE easier - easier in that the pressure is lessened by the fact that they are tested more frequently so they have less to revise at a time. I had two years worth of work to revise for and two 3 hour exams for each subject I took at A-level. I would much prefer to be tested throughout each year as they do now.

I think most people would agree that there are many different paths leading to an equally fulfilling place. Education, in my opinion, is hugely important and essential for some careers, but not for others. If you have a good education, it can give you opportunities that others might not get. But just because you get crap grades at school doesn’t mean that you can’t get a job that you enjoy or that pays well. Neither does it mean that you can’t go and get further education elsewhere, whether that be academic or vocational.

I think the bottom line is that of course you’re not “fucked”. You might have been better placed if you’d worked harder, but all you can do now is look forward from where you are. Talk to people, work out what you think will make you happy, find out what options are available to you and move on.

I think most people would agree that there are many different paths leading to an equally fulfilling place. Education, in my opinion, is hugely important and essential for some careers, but not for others. If you have a good education, it can give you opportunities that others might not get. But just because you get crap grades at school doesn’t mean that you can’t get a job that you enjoy or that pays well. Neither does it mean that you can’t go and get further education elsewhere, whether that be academic or vocational.

I think the bottom line is that of course you’re not “fucked”. You might have been better placed if you’d worked harder, but all you can do now is look forward from where you are. Talk to people, work out what you think will make you happy, find out what options are available to you and move on.
:038: :038: :038:

Harbs, if your exams go totally tits, you're not ****ed but you will have to make compromises. If you wanted to stay on and do certain courses at A-Level or go to uni, maybe you will have to pick a different route but some poor results certainly won't be the end of the world. Yes, your education at the minute and over the next couple of years is very important but few bad GCSE results shouldn't prohibit you from staying in some form of education, be it in school, vocational or otherw*s*.

And hey, you never know exactly how good or bad you have done until you actually get your results. You could surprise yourself.

Just realised that this is almost identical to what Doggie Muz said but hey ho.

Last edited:

30 years in the IT industry including 12 as a network manager at a place that would put most medium sized businesses to shame. However, when I enquired about a network manager's vacancy that required a degreee (which I don't have), I was told not to waste my time applying as they will reject any applications from non graduates.

So in other words, it depends on what you are applying for and where, or, more importantly, what the application criteria are.

Perhaps more importantly is this line

(I've already had meeting with people but they just chat shite)

Which shows an attitude of one not willing to listen to the very people who are in control of his immediate future. If their threats to kick him out for "basically my attendance is shite" are serious and he is concerned then he should be listening to them, not saying they are "chatting shite".

Oh and "chatting shite" is perhaps the chaviest, obnoxious saying the kids of today are using.

It is worth pointing out that the subjects Harb has not been revising are quite fascinating and often exciting. The books in Harb's English course will be ones people read for pleasure. A waitress in my favourite tearooms was telling me she was studying the sciences for A-level and seemed startled when I said how lucky she was. I gave up Science at 14 and I now realise what I missed. Presumably Harb chose his A-level subjects because he was interested in them.

Obviously the qualifications people have are important. It is not certain that a person who was dim or lazy or trouble at school will be that way at work but why should an employer take that risk when there are applicants who did well at school.

Of course the above is not helpful to Harb but it may be to others.

If you get an interview Harb remember not to dress to impress your mates. Your boss is of a different generation. I have known instantly that certain male candidates would not get the job because they wore an earring. Whether they would have been good or bad at the job that was not the image my boss wanted his staff to portray.

Do something that is interesting to an interviewer. I have known someone who impressed for an environmental job because their hobby was archaeology. A girl I interviewed was a top class rower. It gives the interviewer something to ask about. Sadly interviewers are not impressed by "football manager".

Find out about the job beforehand. If you are applying for work at a chain of hotels show you are found out something about the chain - what are their policies. I was told later that applying for a job in Leicester (a city I had never visited) it impressed the panel that I had found out about the various museums of Leicester.

Harb you said the teachers had talked shit to you. Well thats a bad start. People who believe their teachers talk shit usually think their bosses talk shit. Perhaps they talked sense that you did not want to listen to. Why not sit down with them again and this time repect their advice.

Good luck Harb

30 years in the IT industry including 12 as a network manager at a place that would put most medium sized businesses to shame. However, when I enquired about a network manager's vacancy that required a degreee (which I don't have), I was told not to waste my time applying as they will reject any applications from non graduates.

So in other words, it depends on what you are applying for and where, or, more importantly, what the application criteria are.

they might be using that as an excuse, it might not be the degree at all

Harbs you are not ****ed. You have however ****ed up. You have chosen the subjects to do for A level and then proceeded to be a right lazy bastard. Unfortuneatly judgement day has arrived and the weak will be cast aside. In your favour there is still time to pull your finger out of your arse and make something of yourself. Exams are not the be all and end all in your life. In some cases education will help you greatly and in some cases it will hinder you. So my message would be its not ok to do feck all and expect something to jump into your lap. You have to work hard now to have a better life later on.
I went to the best grammar school in Leicester and royally ****ed it up. I have worked for 32 years and have a happy life to an average standard, but the one thing that haunts me mate is the voice saying "if only I knew then what I know now" I would hate you to be thinking the same thing in 30 years time. So whats it gonna be Harbs ....................You Decide !!!!

Not for someone who spells 'lives' with an 'f' it's not.

or puts apostrophes in GCSEs

:icon_bigg

and English is wank choice of A level anyway, do a man's subject, you'll get a job

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669