Kent CC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Notsport2

This game needs a thread.

I have to be honest and say that Leicestershire threw the game away and there was no way they were going to chase near 300 in less than a day in the fouth innings. If Leicestershire had just batted out the first innings they would of got at least 300 with 7 wickets in hand. As it is 171 and 135 doesn't bring any batting points.

Bad decision and not the first. Time for Hoggard to do the decent thing and give someone else a go at captaincy in the four day game and concentrate on his bowling.

Declaring changed an even match into a very strong position for Kent. When you have 7 wickets in hand in a first innings of a match and two set batsmen, when you declare you make sure its on your teams terms, to your teams advantage or to at least keep the game even. If its not play conservative and get the batting points and draw.

I'm usually all for creating a run chase and going for the win. But in this one I think you are right. We can't get promoted and a high scoring draw might have consolidated our position away from the wooden spoon. With the inexperienced batting line-up on a fourth day pitch we were always going to be struggling.

Heard recently that Josh Cobb has been offered the captaincy role in order to keep him at the club.

It was Cobb who told a friend if mine but not sure if he was just winding him up. Was also told Nathan Buck has had a few offers including one from Notts. Again not sure how true it is.

Buck is not good enough for that kind of attention

Cobb averages 24.64 as a top order batsman after 50 first class matches. Cobb peformed in limited overs last season, but its only this season that he has shown any sort sustainable form in the four day game with a current average of 33.80. That is about average and the mininum you would expect from a top order batsman.

Buck, who averages 39.30 in first class cricket and one five for in 46 matches and a strike rate of 69.1. Wayne White has more five fors this season than Buck has in his career. He has gone backwards the past couple of seasons. He did average around 30 at one point. This season Buck so far this season has taken 18 wickets at 48.50.

At present I would say Cobb justifies at start in the the first team, but Buck I'm afraird doesn't and I mean the Leicestershire first team. Not Nottinghamshire, who have one of the best bowling attacks in the country.

When Nottinghamshire moved in for Broad his was on the England fringes, had an bowling average around 30 and scored several 50s for Leicestershire. Taylor was averaging around 50 in the four day game and limited overs and was on the fringes of playing for the full England team, he was regular for the Lions and had captained Leicestershire. As for Gurney, Nottinghamshire went for him, as he is left arm seamer and was and still is one of the most effective T20 bowlers in the country.

Whilst Josh hasn't scored tons of runs w has clearly progressed and is taking more attention to building an innings.

Sorry, didn't finish my post!

He is also a good fielder and can bowl and invaluable to the T20 and one day sides. Also great to watch when he gets going. Don't have a problem in us making every effort to keep him.

I've been looking at the averages of our opposition in the past few matches and it's fair to say all round the records are not great. We seem to be up there in the numbers of 50s and tons, and Boyce and Cobb's average are fairly respectable for the season it's been. Only around ten will probably get 1000 runs which is incredibly low.

Whilst Josh hasn't scored tons of runs w has clearly progressed and is taking more attention to building an innings.

As you have said I don't mind County making an effort to keep Cobb as he has improved and can play all forms and bowl and field. I was putting into context his and Buck's figures. I also rate Cobb's captaincy better than Hoggard's. He seems to think outside the box more, like opening with a spinner etc.

Last edited:
It's also very useful that Thornely, Thakor and Will Jones can all bowl and suit both forms of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4698
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4674
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669