Lance Armstrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
These allegations have been around for so long that I'm tired of reading about them. He will always say he didn't they will say he did. I wonder how much this has cost, in terms of money, the emotional cost must be huge.Will they strip him of his titles, do they have the authority? May be this is another fight that will go on for years.

These allegations have been around for so long that I'm tired of reading about them. He will always say he didn't they will say he did. I wonder how much this has cost, in terms of money, the emotional cost must be huge.Will they strip him of his titles, do they have the authority? May be this is another fight that will go on for years.

They say they do, he says they don't.

Interesting that the UCI (cycling's governing body) backed his challenge against the charges, but some might say they would do that as it'd be bad for cycling if he was found guilty.

Will not fight charges against him of drug use during his cycling career:

http://m.espn.go.com/extra/olympics/story?storyId=8298135

An admission of guilt or a genuine lack of desire to keep on fighting the allegations? I think this is is huge issue and would like to think he's clean, but who knows?

What was the point of all the drug tests he took? It strikes me that if you accept the word of a number of cyclists whose motives are questionable over the results of hundreds of drug tests, then it renders the whole point of drug testing as moot. Moreover it also brings into question the whole drug test procedure if it was so obviously easy to circumvent, not only in cycling but in all sports including the Olympics. After all how clean were they?

Last edited:
Why didn't the authorities act when they took these drug tests? I think it's abit late now.

It's now possible to detect drugs that weren't detectable several years ago, when drug tests may have been passed. If samples have been kept, it's possible to go back and test them again. A number of athletes have had medals taken from them recently due to re-testing of old samples.

Bjarne Riis admitted to doping many years after he quit. The organisers have said they don't consider him to be the winner (he won the TDF in 1996), but the UCI haven't stripped him of the title (as they say it's too long ago), just added an 'asterisk' to the title. Could this be because Ullich (2nd), Virenque (3rd) and Duffaux (4th) have all subsequently been implicated in drug scandals. How far down the line can they go if they still wish to recognise a winner? What will they do with Armstrong?

Last edited:
They should just admit that most cyclists are pumped full of drugs and do away with any sanction. Let them take whatever they want. Or create two competitions, an enhanced league and a clean league.

They should just admit that most cyclists are pumped full of drugs and do away with any sanction. Let them take whatever they want. Or create two competitions, an enhanced league and a clean league.

What makes you think the clean league would be cleaner than the current clean league?

They've been dropping 50 game suspensions all over the place recently.

Twice, for Cabrera and Colon, they didn't make it stick for Braun. How did they deal with the 'Steroid Era'? They realised that most were juiced and therefore just put a big asterisk next to everything, can you honestly see the UCI doing much more for Armstrong?

It's now possible to detect drugs that weren't detectable several years ago, when drug tests may have been passed. If samples have been kept, it's possible to go back and test them again. A number of athletes have had medals taken from them recently due to re-testing of old samples.

Yep. I spoke to someone from the Olympic anti-doping association or whatever they're called recently, and they said spare sample are always taken so retests can be done as new technology becomes available.

I think it's a shame that Lance Armstrong, someone who has inspired so many, might have been a drug cheat. The majority (myself incldued) will think he gave up the fight because he was guilty. Such a shame though, as his story is still impressive.... the blood doping surely doesn't make THAT much difference that his fight against cancer to a top cyclist isn't still impressive.

Last edited:
We all need to get out of the habit that a person can easily be defined anymore.

In truth Armstrong has done some incredible things, made a lot of money for charity and inspired a lot of people. He is also a bit of an arsehole in his personal life and, it appears, has used PEDs.

There are no heroes anymore, as the world gets smaller and we get closer looks it becomes obvious that none of us is without fault and we all do dumb shit, and smart shit, and nice things and shitty things.

I for one think the mask slipping is a good thing and only moves us forward.

We all need to get out of the habit that a person can easily be defined anymore.

In truth Armstrong has done some incredible things, made a lot of money for charity and inspired a lot of people. He is also a bit of an arsehole in his personal life and, it appears, has used PEDs.

There are no heroes anymore, as the world gets smaller and we get closer looks it becomes obvious that none of us is without fault and we all do dumb shit, and smart shit, and nice things and shitty things.

I for one think the mask slipping is a good thing and only moves us forward.

Good post. The sooner we stop putting people on pedestals and recognise them as human beings like all of us, the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669