League goals from open play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy Lad

Look at our record for league goals scored from open play (ignoring the scrappy tap ins from corners/free kicks etc as I count them as set pieces).

1. Blackpool - 0
2. Crystal Palace - 0
3. Watford - 2
4. Plymouth - 0
5. QPR - 0
6. Charlton - 0
7. Stoke - 1
8. Wolves - 0
9. Sheff Wed - 0
10. Scunthorpe - 0

3 in 10 games!!

I know all goals count & set pieces play a vital role but these are quite alarming stats!

Check MON record at city, and you will find some similar results

What? A total of 12 goals scored from open play a season. I very heavily doubt it.

I lack of creativety at the minute is horrible. We created no chances on Saturday bar the disallowed goal (again from a free kick) the only reason Fryatt got through was because of the Scunthorpe defense pissing about with the ball on the edge of their own area.

Last edited:
It could be argued that megson is making the best of a bad squad at the moment. Do we really have any attacking players with quality? I can't think of any?

What? A total of 12 goals scored from open play a season. I very heavily doubt it.

I lack of creativety at the minute is horrible. We created no chances on Saturday bar the disallowed goal (again from a free kick) the only reason Fryatt got through was because of the Scunthorpe defense pissing about with the ball on the edge of their own area.

So we don't count (potential) goals where the defense make an error, what kind of goals do we count?

if we were particularly good at free kicks it wouldnt be so bad

So we don't count (potential) goals where the defense make an error, what kind of goals do we count?

Obviously had the ball hit the back of the net it would of counted as a goal from open play, I'm just saying, we didn't create that chance for Fryatt, they had possesion of the ball, they gave it away in an area wher they shouldn't of, just making the point we didn't make one clear cut chance for our strikers the whole game.

I know he should of scored but no striker scores every chance they get, I watched AC Milan Empoli on Sunday and Pipo Inzaghi missed a similar chance. Fryatt and Hume have absloutley nothing to work with at the minute.

Obviously had the ball hit the back of the net it would of counted as a goal from open play, I'm just saying, we didn't create that chance for Fryatt, they had possesion of the ball, they gave it away in an area wher they shouldn't of, just making the point we didn't make one clear cut chance for our strikers the whole game.

I know he should of scored but no striker scores every chance they get, I watched AC Milan Empoli on Sunday and Pipo Inzaghi missed a similar chance. Fryatt and Hume have absloutley nothing to work with at the minute.

Totally agree.

Another 2 from set pieces again today?

Can we not score from open play?

Why the feck does it matter? We scored 2 goals at home and won, some people really are never fecking happy

Why the feck does it matter? We scored 2 goals at home and won, some people really are never fecking happy

It matters because in order to string some results together, we can't just rely on set peices. Today was a good result, but to be confident in the future, we need to see some ability to create goals from open play.

we did create more chances than against Sheff U

It matters because in order to string some results together, we can't just rely on set peices. Today was a good result, but to be confident in the future, we need to see some ability to create goals from open play.

I thought that it was plainly obvious, that for all of last season and this, that we have no creativity in midfield. We've gone on about it on TB enough for fecks sake! So where do people expect the goals to come from; incisive passes from Stearman, great vision from Newton, surging runs past the strikers from Chambers. About time people got real. Until we get some decent midfielders then we will be relying on set pieces, defensive errors and scrappy tap ins.

I thought that it was plainly obvious, that for all of last season and this, that we have no creativity in midfield. We've gone on about it on TB enough for fecks sake! So where do people expect the goals to come from; incisive passes from Stearman, great vision from Newton, surging runs past the strikers from Chambers. About time people got real. Until we get some decent midfielders then we will be relying on set pieces, defensive errors and scrappy tap ins.

No one has said we expect them. this thread is surely just highlighting that we have a problem. one that needs fixing if we are to be successful.

Personally, I think it's simple.

Shit midfielders that can't pass.

Shit forwards that can't score

Shit Managers who can't get them to play.

It's a combination of those three problems. We keep replacing them, but you don't replace a broken kettle with another broken kettle, you go and buy one that works.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670