Post Match Leicester 1 Atletico Madrid 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
No we haven't - they would have gone through on away goals anyway

Technically yes.But 0-0 after the 1st leg creates a different dynamic for the 2nd so who knows? It's still a ****er whichever way you look at it.

Very proud.

Also annoyed at the criticism Mahrez has been getting this season. He is routinely surrounded by three men. The anger I hear in the crowd every time the bloke is so much as tackled pisses me right off.

He'll be gone this summer and we won't see his like again.

Superb second half performance - wouldn't mind seeing that formation again, to see if it can be that good in a league game

I'm not sure if this is one of those WHOOSH moments, but didn't we play that formation at the end of the great escape season?

Very proud.

Also annoyed at the criticism Mahrez has been getting this season. He is routinely surrounded by three men. The anger I hear in the crowd every time the bloke is so much as tackled pisses me right off.

He'll be gone this summer and we won't see his like again.

What is the point in him staying if hes surrounded by 3 men and anonymous for most of a season?

He cant live off last season, its done.

Anyway, an incredible journey comes to an end. Immensely proud of everything we have achieved as a club, fans, players etc

It has felt incredibly special to be part of these truly epic times and I cant help having a slight tinge of absolute devastation that the remnants of our biggest ever achievement have finally been swept away.

Whatever happens to us as a club, we will always have these memories to look back on.

Thanks everyone

Very proud of the team tonight. The players and fans seemed consigned to defeat from the Madrid goal all the way to half time, but then flew out the blocks in the second half.

Vardy and Albrighton were immense. Drinkwater can only pass successfully if it's sideways or behind - any pass he made forwards seemed to find its way to a man in red and white.

And as for Mahrez? A little flick of the leg was apparently a decent enough attempt to block the cross which led to their goal. What annoys me is that whenever anyone else makes a mistake, they burst a bollock to try to make amends. Mahrez makes a mistake and then just prances about. Here's hoping Gray starts the remainder of the games till the end of the season, and then in the summer Mahrez gets the move he so clearly wants.

BN is absolutely spot on. The criticism of Mahrez is just ridiculous beyond comprehension. I thought he did well tonight and caused them numerous problems, especially when he was through the middle in the second half. There was nothing lazy or arrogant about his performance tonight, he worked as hard as everyone else. Some of the things he tried didn't pan out but, essentially, he did try to develop things time and time again.

He has been the best player we've ever had at the club and this season it's been tough for him to recreate such brilliance for numerous reasons. It's not just all confined to him 'not putting in effort' or suddenly 'becoming shit', he has been marked out of games almost continuously. Yes, he could have adapted better and he will. When he does, someone will have a world class player on their books. I fear, however, it won't be us.

I hope he starts the remaining games just so I can see him in our shirt a few more times before the inevitable happens.

Very proud of the team and feeling whatever the German word is for happysad at the moment.

As a few people have mentioned this does feel like the end of something, possibly the greatest team/era/achievement the club will ever have coming to an end. And the sadness that brings. I think we will stay up but going in to the summer I feel the uncertainty returning again about players staying and ambitions for next season. The normal lot in life for a Leicester fan.

But this has been a truly special time that we have witnessed. I will be talking about that Sevilla home match for rest of my life.

You've just majorly offended 10 players there.
Has he bollocks. Mahrez was as good as anyone tonight in terms of both effort and application. All the players deserve credit for that performance

I think you're just stuck in a loop. He was fine tonight. There was nothing wrong with his endeavour or his effort.

I will respect your opinion that you think his level of effort was adequate enough.

However I just can't see how anyone in their right mind would say he worked as hard as everyone else. Would you really say he worked as hard as Vardy? I mean, really?

Anyway, enough about him. Tonight is about the 10 warriors we had on the pitch.

An utterly beautiful, surreal and bittersweet night.

As others have said, it felt like the end of an era walking down those stairs tonight. At the same time, I feel tonight is the first time I've been truly able to appreciate it all - not just the last 2 years, but all of it, all of the last 9 years... from that moment standing in the rain at the away end at Stoke watching us get relegated League One to that full-time whistle tonight - it now feels like one complete "era".

Not just the football but everything - I was 18 back then, leaving school and home for the first time - I've lived in 4 different cities since then - all the moments I've shared with my friends and family or on my own - watching Robert Huth head home the 3rd against ManCity last season on my own in a pokey room with a hole in it I was living alone in at the time on a dodgy internet stream is somehow now as romantic as being at the game.

Bizarre random tidbits I remember over the years - Marty Fryatt's 2 late goals against Bristol Rovers and celebrating over a Bristol Rovers fan I once knew but haven't seen in 8 1/2 years, Chris Wood's hat-trick vs Bristol City when I was convinced we were going up before we collapsed that season and bragging to my housemate (still one of my closest friends - but a Liverpool fan) that we were going up. Jack Hobbs, Michael Morrison, Wayne Brown and Bruno Berner becoming an excellent Championship back 4 more than the sum of its parts, Yann Kermorgant and Anthony Knockaert's penalties, DEENEY, Yakubu going on this bizarre bastard scoring run despite being the laziest player in history (besides maybe Jermaine Beckford). Matty Fryatt's lengthy run vs Newcastle. Andy King's goal against Cardiff in some made turn around in the play-offs when we thought we were out of it, Andy King's late winner against West Ham to start the great escape, Andy King's late winner against Plymouth in some obscure Champiomship match long consigned to completely unnotable history. Vardy and Nugent's godlike Championship strike force that even kept current Championship top scorer Chris Wood out the side. Vardy's 11 in a row. The 5-3 vs ManUtd with Vardy's performance still probably the single greatest individual performance I've ever seen from a Leicester player.

Anthony Knockaert scored about 3 of the best 5 Leicester goals I've ever seen - all against Huddersfield in the same season, the beautiful, erratic, tempremental little magician - remember the first few games he played it was clear he was a completely different kind of player to anything I'd ever seen at Leicester before. Then Mahrez cane and was even better! His goals against Chelsea, Watford, Swansea and a sweet free-kick in the Champions League. The annual 4 putting goals past Derby rout we had going in which Nugent would inevitably score as he always did against Ipswich and Burnley and him chasing squirrels round against QPR.

Lloyd Dyer against Bolton, Drinkwater the best player in the Champuonship thundering one i against Watford. Marc Albrighton the beautiful big nosed Brummie bastard with our first ever Champions League goal and the winner against Seville.

Robert Huth was maybe the most important signing of all. Him and Morgan will go down inlegrnd, so many important goals against Spurs, ManCity, ManItd, Southampton, Seville etc. Danny Simpson proving everyone wrong turning himself around and becoming a consistent rock at the back, Kasper's penalty saves vs Seville and also a last minute one against Boro in the snow. Fuchs - probably the best full-back and free signing I can ever remember. Leo's last gasp goals against West Ham and causing an earthquake against Norwich, Okazaki - probably the most bizarre footballer I've ever seen, I still don't know what quite to make of him but he's endlessly loveable. Kante, Cambiasso, Steve Howard, Wasilewski, Matty James, Ritchie De Laet, Benalouane, Paul Gallagher, Ritchie Wellens... I'm sure I've left many names out of the actors who've all played a role in this.

And of course Nigel Pearson, Claudio Ranieri and Craig Shakespeare who've all played a huge role in all this.

It feels like the end of an era, but what an era, so many moments tinged with my life for different reasons. What a ****ing performance that was, gave me goosebumps tonight. Love this ****ing team. Wouldn't want to support anyone else.

I'm also clearly far too emotional to be able to use spellchecker...

I was feeling quite deflated at half time, really didn't want us to go out on a whimper.

With the changes we were a completely different side, we absolutely battered them for a while and they were rocked, shame we couldn't get a second, they were defending like their lives depended on it!

Every player should feel proud, we flew the flag for England in the Champions League whilst the others were watching it at home, when we were supposed to be the laughing stock.

Credit to Simone for his class act at the end.

This dream is over, but the last three seasons have shown, you should never stop dreaming.

That was some post PR, some post. Definitely end of a mixed up crazy, sometimes ****ed up era. Feels kinda like that feeling you get at the first day back at work in January, when you've just spent the whole of the Christmas holidays partying, getting pissed and getting laid. Back to boring monotonous normality.

Although every now and again there will be a big grin across my face.

A proper cup tie, unfortunately Leicester weren't quite good enough.

At the beginning of the season I said I would have been happy with a 7th place finish and not to be embarrassed in Europe. The league position is out of the window but barring the debacle in Porto were we embarrassed, that was reserved for Spurs, Man City and above all Arsenal.

...Credit to Simone for his class act at the end...

Never really minded Simeone, he hates Maradona so that's a plus in my book.

This really isn't the end of this era.

If half the players were on the way out and we were going to bring in a new manager, then maybe. But I don't think so.

I can only see us losing Mahrez. I also expect us to spend well over £100m in the summer to reinforce the squad.

In the post match interviews, Shakespeare spoke about what he'd said to the players after the game. Now we've got the taste for it, our focus is on keeping this group together, strengthening, and going after a strong season again next year.

In my view, this era will only end when the owners lose interest. All the signs are that we're a long way from that happening.

Again, before I get into it I want to state that I was proud of all our players last night and have loved the whole CL saga. It's been magic and many of us are unlikely to see it again.

Now being as people have been criticising Mahrez here and Cityfan has also knocked Drinky I'd like to comment on our "attackers". Vardy, Ulloa and Okazaki.

We were so close, if one of those efforts that were blocked had gone in, on another day, we'd have gone on and won that.

Cheer up m'duck - not so long ago we couldn't score against ten man Millwall in the FA Cup !

How good is Griezman? Looked like a great player to me.

We had 22 attempts on goal yesterday. That means we had great service for our strikers but we only scored 1 goal. This for me is our problem. Our attackers all put in great effort and give it their whole heart but they all lack class. I remember people earlier this year saying that Vardy is the most natural goalscorer they've ever seen. He really isn't. If Ibrahimovic, Alexis, Griezmann, benteke, lukaku, even the likes of Defoe had the chances our strikers had yesterday they would have bagged a hat-trick and we'd have been in the semi-finals. Vardy should have had a hat-trick but he miss-hit two beautiful chances - he also miss-hit his goal. Ulloa pur himself about valiantly and I've been impressed with his two outings but he just doesn't have that extra that turns a decent lower prem striker into a top class scorer and Okazaki would have trouble scoring 10 in the championship. He throws himself around and runs hard but apart from the occasional unusual goal he really can't score. It's a real shame that Slimani couldn't play yesterday he would have put the ball in the net. Chilwell, fuchs, Albrighton etc... were peppering the box with great opportunites. It's where we missed Huth too.

I agree with all of this, but in particular the part about Simeone. We noticed too that he made a conscious effort to go to all of our players individually and he was also applauding the crowd as he walked off.

It's easy to be gracious when you've won - especially when maybe you didn't deserve it. Simeone didn't even shake Shakey's hand after the game in Madrid. screw him.

finally I'd like to congratulate Shakespeare on a magnificent job. You all know that I didn't like the dismissal of CR but Shakey has done fantastically well and his substitutions and tinkering with the formation in the last 2 games has been great.

I'm glad to see that we're looking at the idea of 3 at the back again - it makes for fun football.

If he keeps this up until the end of the season I hope we stick with him for next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363