Post Match Leicester 1 Watford 0

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that I've slagged off Nugent but now that he's got a goal let's hope that his confidence is back and he can score another three or four goals this season. That would be nice.

He does tend to go on goalscoring streaks.....here's hoping

Nugent also did well defensively, dropping into the hole to pick up their deep lying midfielder - clever tactics as it stopped them looking so fluid and allowed our fullbacks get forward

Great atmosphere and great result for us but far from over as yet.

James & King were impeccable in the middle tonight and have been for the last 5-6 games. James especially who is fast becoming my favourite player who just looks a class above atm.

Not bad at these non-ordinary fixtures are we!? :icon_lol:

Great result, deserved on behalf of the ref's poor decisions. Thought we did okay, looked a bit clueless in the 2nd. Great goal would have been nice to have gone on to get a 2nd when our tails were up.

It's in these kinds of games that promotion-winning teams come out on top. It could have gone either way, and if I were at Watford fan right now I'd be aggrieved, especially after Vydra's timid finish. But one moment of quality was enough.

I actually thought both Knockaert and Nugent were fairly poor tonight, but I suppose Nuge was asked to perform a slightly different role to usual. Wood was hugely disappointing, and I think Schlupp was nervous. I suspect he'll be out for Konchesky on Sunday.

Overall we obviously have to be delighted. After taking large parts of the first half and missing at least two good chances the second period descended into a bit of a dogfight. It wasn't pretty but, in hindsight, nobody gives a toss by now.

Now I just hope that we don't sit back on what we have because we certainly aren't convincing enough defensively to keep them at bay for 90 minutes. Deeney will be back and they'll be desperate to strike first. If we can counter effectively and hit the first goal I'd like to think it'll be us going to Wembley. This one is far from over.

Bring on Sunday.

As others have said, James and King were outstanding. They controlled the midfield and rarely wasted possession. I also thought Nugent did well in the hole between midfield and attack and Keane had his best game for us at the back. Kane also did an excellent job when he came on. Schlupp made some very elementary mistakes that could have been fatal and I felt that Knockaert was a bit of a liability. Watford need the ball to threaten and the little french man kept giving it to them very cheaply. We can't afford him or Schlupp to do that again on Sunday. They're not going to carry on missing chances. The ref was a prize twat.

Overall, we just about edged it. I would have taken a draw before the game as I think that we'll be better suited to playing away against them, rather than trying to force the pace. The next goal in this tie will probably be the decider. We need to be street-wise at their place and I'd back a few changes in personnel and formation. Kane, Drinkwater and Konchesky should start and I'd like to see St. Ledger as an option on the bench.

Last edited:
Oh Mr PeaSSoN, what have you done ?

A team that were truly desperate and disinterested three or four weeks ago, are now transformed into a battling, determined group of grafters. It's an exceptional managerial achievement, although the gumbies won't be able to recognise it

And what might our season have been had we had a fully fit Matty James ? He's a wonderful player- the best on the pitch tonight by a country mile, although ably assisted by Andy King and an incredible shift from the Nuge

And, finally, an atmosphere in that awful stadium that will be remembered for quite some time. Silly fake clappers or not, it was top notch

Who's up for a quick cuddle on Wembley Way ?

I forgot Geijo's missed header at the back post too, that looked like a glorious chance.

Sunday will be a cracker.

Can I just say that Knocky did not give the ball away cheaply, barely any city man seemed to want to offrr him a ball, it was awful how badly we linked up at times, blaming knocky for our utter lack of movement and options is not on.

I know Nuge played a defensive role but it really did go a long way to making Wood look like total dog shit. It was like they were allergic to each other at times and Wood certainly isnt the man to play on his own, after the initial chest he had zero support to play a ball.

James was awsome throughout and King helped him out a lot, keane also stepped up tonight and really showed maturity and less glimpses of naivety than before.

Our attempts warrented more goals and sadly Nugent missed a cracker of a chance that any striker should bag. Overall 1-0 is good, I wanted a 2 goal cushion but it is what it is. We need to go to Watford as a one off game at 0-0 and take it from there.

How did the atmosphere sound on the box?

watford did not play their normal 'away game', given the two leg nature of the tie. strangely, having the first leg at home could work to our advantage as their away form is better than their home form and now they have to go for it on sunday. i feel strangely relaxed about the second leg ........................

Oh Mr PeaSSoN, what have you done ?

A team that were truly desperate and disinterested three or four weeks ago, are now transformed into a battling, determined group of grafters. It's an exceptional managerial achievement, although the gumbies won't be able to recognise it

And what might our season have been had we had a fully fit Matty James ? He's a wonderful player- the best on the pitch tonight by a country mile, although ably assisted by Andy King and an incredible shift from the Nuge

And, finally, an atmosphere in that awful stadium that will be remembered for quite some time. Silly fake clappers or not, it was top notch

Who's up for a quick cuddle on Wembley Way ?

Bang on the mark my dear Homey

Yep. I said many times during our bad spell that it had coincided in a big way with Matty James being out injured. Doesn't seem like it was a coincidence! Very good performance. Thought him and King worked very well, sharing the attack and defensive work.... but as I mentioned, I thought it was actually James that looked better going forward and King did more defensively!

I know a few have mentioned already, but I thouught Nugent did a good defensive job tonight too, helping win the ball back.... That probably played a part in helping King and James too I think.

Tactically well setup tonight. Think Konch in for Schlupp will be the only change for Sunday.

and if we or the hornets get to the promised land and play like that, we'll get royally dicked week in week out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669