Post Match Leicester 3 Southampton 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know who got MOTM?

I know somebody else mentioned it, but Lallana is just different class. How he is still playing for Southampton & not in the Premier League I'll never know..

I don't think it will be very long until he is playing in the top flight with Southampton, to be honest. I said earlier that they remind me very much of Norwich last season. They impressed me today.

It's interesting to read the various interpretations of what we saw this afternoon. My perspective was:

Schmeichel - 7 - Two strong blocks late on. Excellent distribution in the main. Less impressed with his organisation for the second goal.
Pantsil - 6 - Understand the negativity but he was exposed a lot due to no cover once Fernandes moved into the centre. Felt he did a steady job.
Mills - 7 - His passing was pish but he threw himself about plenty and will save us many points over the season by doing this.
Bamba - 5 - Sloppy and out of position loads. He was also blowing out of his arse after an hour. Occasionally sublime.
Konchesky - 7 - Steady Eddie leftie. Nothing dramatic but solid and supported the attack when he could and had good energy throughout.
Wellens - 7 - Excellent first half and well taken goal. Faded though and looked shattered. Got worse when his role in midfield became confused by the addition of Fernandes in the centre.
Fernandes - 7 - Started off on the right and made the first with his determination to keep the ball in. Love his attitude. Problem is he and Wellens want to do the same things both are inhibited by the presence of the other.
Danns - 6 - Better in a defined left side role. With some space, he looked decent. Still think he needs to improve to merit a place in this team.
King - 5 - Not on his game at all yet this season. The occasional moment of quality but that isn't enough any more and he needs to up his game.
Vassell - 7 - Thought he led the line really well first half and did his best second half. Shame he lost Nugent so early as he then had to be the senior man.
Schlupp - 6 - Did really well first half and impressed everyone with his pace and composure. Second half on the right he was poor and left Pantsil exposed repeatedly. He was also shattered in the last 20 so needs to be fitter.
Gallagher - 5 - Should have taken more responsibility for retaining possession than he did. Didn't do the running he should have either.

Sven made the tactical decision to move Fernandes into the centre and Schlupp out wide. It stank because it handed the initiative to Soton when we could and should have kept our foot on their throat. The move made several players play worse.

Soton looked like a confident team rather than a bunch of fearful individuals like us. However, we're clearly superior to them and over time will overtake and pull away from them.

Ref did us a favour with the winner as it was a clear foul. He had a decent game though.

Last edited:
Back from the game, and I must ask the question, how the feck do you please City supporters?

Southampton came to the KP stadium having won 4 out of 4 in the league. Their last league game away they beat Ipswich, an early season offering for promotion, 5-2.
In the first half, if we'd been 4 up The Saints couldn't have argued.
However, we won 3 -2. saints pressed for the equaliser, and it's all doom and gloom.

Listen up folks, we are a team in transition.
We have some quality players.
In the last 2 games we have played some brilliant football.
The jigsaw is coming together.
For a change, try looking at the positive.

Back from the game, and I must ask the question, how the feck do you please City supporters?

Southampton came to the KP stadium having won 4 out of 4 in the league. Their last league game away they beat Ipswich, an early season offering for promotion, 5-2.
However, we won 3 -2. saints pressed for the equaliser, and it's all doom and gloom.

:038:

Nah, we're ****ed mate. I read so on foxestalk, some shite about 4-4-2s and 2x4s and such like.

But now everyone (including Mrs Miggins) is an expert on formations. And they don't like it when we switch from 4-4-2 to 4-5-1 or 4-3-3.

Or on the otherhand, maybe Southampton upped their game in the second half and made it difficult for us.

Personally, super pleased mate. We won, I am happy. But all we are doing is assessing how we can operate BETTER. At our very best in the last 20 years we have all seen a weakness that needs a little work. No real criticism but hey, we are all 'managers' at the end of the day. This is a forum to exercise our feelings/angst/anger/joy at LCFC. Saints were possibly the best team I have seen at the KP in years but I thoroughly enjoyed the game and loved that we hung in there. We ARE a team in transition, and I am looking at the positive - BUT I have to have my opinion on how we can progress, as everyone has :icon_lol:

Hello again old friends,

Saw today's game. My concern from pre-season / first few games was that a brand new defence takes a long time to gel compared to a brand new attack and that's what we've invested in this season. So while we weren't conceding many goals pre-season it was inevitable we'd concede a fair few in the first ten games, especially as Sven has this preoccupation with slow build-up play from the back which just encourages Championship son-of-a-bricklayer centre halves (not centre backs) to give the ball away.

The great thing about the last few games is that he's encouraged us to be more adventurous and take the pressure off the defence. The back line will sort itself out, given time, any new side needs goals (see Blackburn '91). That said, defensively, I think Pantsil and Bamba are rather suspect - luxury defenders - on the other hand I've seen Mills enough for Reading to be sure he'll end up a good player if Sven stops asking him to be Franz Beckenbauer. Who knows, maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway - as regards the "how dare you criticise our boys in blue" brigade (always a fair few of them on here, hope you're still thoroughly enjoying the capacious collective anal cavities of the Leicester board) - well, this was nowhere near a Championship winning side. Sorry to disappoint you. It needs a striker, a winger and a long long time for that. But it was a step forward; in my down-at-the-feet-of-the-almighty-lord-humble-opinion.

Have a wonderful summer. And look after yourselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669