Post Match Leicester 5 Southampton 0

Win number 30. That should be that. You just don't win 30 games in the Championship and not go up. Not possible.

Strangely, never felt very nervous in the ground tonight. It did on Saturday but we seemed in better control this time.

It was a pretty even tactical contest for an hour and then Southampton just stopped playing. Their schedule has been mental recently and they just looked done.

I thought Justin was our best player. Fatawu will take the headlines, and deservedly so for that excellent finish for his second, but Justin did a sensational job on the Southampton right side all night.
Southampton just did not seem to able to sustain a press on us, WBA and the others did it may be the result of their fixture congestion. Our football was sublime last night and it was great to watch, fans were immense again and it showed.

Pressure is handed back over to the other two now, I think Ipswich have Covscum and they can still mathematically reach the play offs?

Great game absolutely buzzing after that performance.

I felt that we passed it through their lines much better last night. It might have helped that they pressed us a bit, rather than just sitting back, so it made space in behind their pressing, but it was much better nonetheless.

I may have blue tinted glasses but I just don't see where Faes commits the foul for the first goal? It was definitely offside thank goodness there is no VAR lol. After that 10 min spell they had in the second half, it really was a foregone conclusion.

Pretty fair assessment form their manager tbh.

I may have blue tinted glasses but I just don't see where Faes commits the foul for the first goal? It was definitely offside thank goodness there is no VAR lol. After that 10 min spell they had in the second half, it really was a foregone conclusion.

You have to be joking. He's having a laugh!

Southampton boss Russell Martin told BBC Radio Solent:

"For 60-odd minutes I thought we were good. It was a really tight match. We played some amazing build-up, but it didn't come to enough.

The fact that the Southampton playing was falling to Faes before he actually got there suggests it wasn’t actually a foul to me.

Pah! Only 5-0. Shows what we have come down to. Only a few seasons ago that we got a record breaking nine against them in one game. This season it's taken two games. And we let them score in the first one too. Useless!
😄

Southampton boss Russell Martin told BBC Radio Solent:

"For 60-odd minutes I thought we were good. It was a really tight match. We played some amazing build-up, but it didn't come to enough.

It's just ridiculous Snide Rodgers bollocks. If we weren't so wasteful early in the game then they could have had a nice 9-0. I'm all for protecting players etc....but sometimes it's better to just admit they were a bit shit in a one off.

Another special mention for Wilf. He's been great the last two games and his headed goal was one of the best you'll ever see.
Yes, Wilf raised his arm to indicate to Mavididi that he wanted the cross - and then ran in. An excellent cross and powerful downward header - looked like it went through the goalie's legs

Took a peak at a Southampton forum, they're not happy:

"That was terrible and demonstrated that RM [Russel Martin], who is supposed to be a good coach, does not have what it takes to succeed in this division. He has a rigid style of play and sticks to it even when it is not working. He encourages defenders to stand off attackers and invite crosses and runs into our box. He encourages slow, ponderous play everywhere on the pitch even when we are aggressively pressed.

Our press is OK but nothing more and certainly nothing like as effective as Leicester’s. We gave the ball away too many times as a result of being pressed effectively, with players closing down ours and our favoured passing channels; and then stood off them as they attacked our goal with pace and accuracy. He encourages possession to the exclusion of everything else, resulting in sideways and backwards passing instead of moving forward at pace.

Having two shots and none on target is a disgrace.

He insists on playing one way only even when faced with a CB with the turning circle of an oil tanker; why did we not try to run Vestergaard ragged? If he really thinks that we put on a good show, he is deluded. We were well beaten by a far better team that was well coached to play against us and all our flaws. Out thought and outplayed. A miserable evening. One that we could see coming but did not believe would be as demoralising as it turned out to be.

Truly pathetic."

Took a peak at a Southampton forum, they're not happy:

"That was terrible and demonstrated that RM [Russel Martin], who is supposed to be a good coach, does not have what it takes to succeed in this division. He has a rigid style of play and sticks to it even when it is not working. He encourages defenders to stand off attackers and invite crosses and runs into our box. He encourages slow, ponderous play everywhere on the pitch even when we are aggressively pressed.

Our press is OK but nothing more and certainly nothing like as effective as Leicester’s. We gave the ball away too many times as a result of being pressed effectively, with players closing down ours and our favoured passing channels; and then stood off them as they attacked our goal with pace and accuracy. He encourages possession to the exclusion of everything else, resulting in sideways and backwards passing instead of moving forward at pace.

Having two shots and none on target is a disgrace.

He insists on playing one way only even when faced with a CB with the turning circle of an oil tanker; why did we not try to run Vestergaard ragged? If he really thinks that we put on a good show, he is deluded. We were well beaten by a far better team that was well coached to play against us and all our flaws. Out thought and outplayed. A miserable evening. One that we could see coming but did not believe would be as demoralising as it turned out to be.

Truly pathetic."

"He has a rigid style of play and sticks to it even when it is not working. He encourages slow, ponderous play everywhere on the pitch. He encourages possession to the exclusion of everything else, resulting in sideways and backwards passing instead of moving forward at pace. He insists on playing one way only."

Almost identical to the criticisms on here of Maresca for a large part of the season.

"He has a rigid style of play and sticks to it even when it is not working. He encourages slow, ponderous play everywhere on the pitch. He encourages possession to the exclusion of everything else, resulting in sideways and backwards passing instead of moving forward at pace. He insists on playing one way only."

Almost identical to the criticisms on here of Maresca for a large part of the season.

I was curious whether anyone would draw a parallel :)

Only from BN and The ****wit

I had an appointment yesterday and couldn't watch the game. I stopped for petrol on the way home and looked at the BBC site, it was halftime and we were one nil up. I couldn't believe it when I got home and it was 5 -0 with a minute or so to play. It reminded me of the Brazil/Germany semi final where if you blinked you missed a goal.

Faes was definitely fouled, if you watch it from behind the goal the Southampton player charges into the back of him. As for the offside, too close to call, no "clear and obvious error" for me.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566
9Coventry City4564
10Preston 4563