Leicester face questions about FFP

But but but, they’ve robustly challenged the Club, didn’t you read it?

Bet the Club hierarchy are absolutely shitting themselves now

But but but, they’ve robustly challenged the Club, didn’t you read it?

Bet the Club hierarchy are absolutely shitting themselves now
Presumably the same way they did after relegation. And the way they did in regards to the (alleged) internal investigation.

I’ve no doubt these people are committed Leicester fans and want the best for the club. But they’ve got as much influence on the club as my dog does. Only she doesn’t pretend to have any.

Presumably the same way they did after relegation. And the way they did in regards to the (alleged) internal investigation.

I’ve no doubt these people are committed Leicester fans and want the best for the club. But they’ve got as much influence on the club as my dog does. Only she doesn’t pretend to have any.
That’s rough.

Use a of a valid if unfortunate meme variant. Pretty sure it wasn't mean that way.

Ah let him get on with it. In these times of flag trauma and all that shit....why not get offended by a pilled up anthropomorphic coffee drinking dog meme having a deeper relevance than the painfully obvious. Thanks though :)

Ah let him get on with it. In these times of flag trauma and all that shit....why not get offended by a pilled up anthropomorphic coffee drinking dog meme having a deeper relevance than the painfully obvious. Thanks though :)

I just feel sorry for the guy. He's been landed with a position he's probably not ready for, he's lost his dad, and the thing that his dad got so much joy from is crumbling. Just got one minute put yourself in his shoes. He's doing it tough.

I just feel sorry for the guy. He's been landed with a position he's probably not ready for, he's lost his dad, and the thing that his dad got so much joy from is crumbling. Just got one minute put yourself in his shoes. He's doing it tough.

I've made a comparison previously about him inheriting an incontinent dog. He's stuck with an inconvenience he doesn't want but doesn't want rid of. That's what the club must feel like to him. He has my sympathies on a few things tbh.

I've made a comparison previously about him inheriting an incontinent dog. He's stuck with an inconvenience he doesn't want but doesn't want rid of.
That’s not totally accurate. He could have Rudkin put down. It’s the humane thing to do.

Now THAT’S a ****ing statement
I don’t know. “…on on the pitch” is a bit lazy. I’d accept “our efforts on the pitch”. Just scans better.

At the end of the day it’s just ****ing words.

Is there any concrete info out there at all that top doesn't want this club or position?

Made up nonsense to try and protect a billionaire and shield him from his responsibilities.

I

He’s the man in charge and therefore the man who ultimately has to carry the can. It’s plain and simple.

He doesn’t get a pass or sympathy from me for his failings as a businessman. He’s had ample time to hire competent people, or even completely step aside and hire someone else to be responsible for running the club.

All fine and agreeable until you realise that he let Rudkin and Whelan audit themselves after a number of monumental ****ups.

No hiding there.

All fine and agreeable until you realise that he let Rudkin and Whelan audit themselves after a number of monumental ****ups.

No hiding there.
I'm not saying he gets a free pass, I'm just trying to imagine what he's thinking. Stepping aside might, to him, feel like he's not honouring his dad, although I'd say his dad would be more proud of him doing the right thing that being foolhardy.

Why Leicester are desperate not to face a PSR points deduction this season​

By Rob Tanner

Leicester City have been bullish in their response to the Premier League referring them to an independent commission to face charges over breaching profit and sustainability rules (PSR).

Initially, they vowed to defend themselves and other clubs against “unlawful acts by the football authorities”; then, after the words, came the actions — legal proceedings against both the Premier League and the English Football League, who have imposed a registration ban on the club, effectively a transfer embargo. By any standards, it was a bold step.

With six weeks of the season left and Leicester second in the Championship, trailing Leeds United on goal difference but with a game in hand, the promotion battle was draining enough without Thursday’s charges being levied. But Leicester are determined to fight them.

The full extent of the club’s alleged breaking of PSR remains unclear. A fuller picture will begin to emerge when Leicester’s accounts for the 2022-23 season, in which they were relegated, are published at the end of March.

“It seems clear they have breached and by my model, they have breached by in excess of £40m,” says football finance expert Stefan Borson. “The question mark is James Maddison’s (£40m) deal to Tottenham, which falls right on the edge of the (financial) years. That is good because they can say to the Premier League, ‘If we had sold Maddison the day before we wouldn’t breach by much at all’. That could be argued to be mitigation. The problem is they will breach again by quite a lot for this season.”

There appears to be no hard and fast rule on how heavy the Premier League sanction should be. Everton were given a 10-point deduction this season and argued it down to six on appeal. Nottingham Forest were given a four-point sanction on the basis they were compliant, but they may still appeal.

It seems clear Leicester are likely to get a points deduction, expected to be at least six points – it is just a question of when. That may not be in their hands, although their challenge to the authorities will mean a lengthy delay, likely to be well into next season.

But the question for Leicester may be when is it better to take that points deduction?
Next season, when they could be in the Premier League and any sanction would severely dent their survival hopes?

Or now, in the Championship, and hope they can still scramble into the automatic promotion spots? If they failed, they would still have the fall-back option of the play-offs, but they would be risking promotion.
“It seems too late for that,” says Borson. “I can’t see how they could get this done by the end of the season and, anyway, jeopardising promotion seems crazy.

“The Premier League has wanted same-season punishment all along, but the surprise is we are at the end of March and they hadn’t started a process yet. If they had started the process in January, you would have struggled to get everything done by the end of the season. How do they think they can get it done in six weeks? It’s impossible.

“The only way is if all the parties are friendly with each other and they agree to an accelerated process without an appeal. Or, alternatively, an agreed settlement that can be negotiated and then signed off by an independent commission that deems it to be fair. That clearly doesn’t seem to be the case here. Why would Leicester agree to that? It would be a disaster for them.”

Leicester seem to be doing everything they can to make it difficult for the Premier League to navigate the disciplinary process this season. They are expected to ask for a Rule K arbitration hearing (the FA system for settling disputes) to get a ruling on whether the Premier League has the right to charge and sanction them this season, which will prolong the process.

Leicester obviously prefer the latter if they cannot mount a successful defence. They would prefer to be back in the Premier League and have a slice of the television revenue, and the other income they lost through relegation, to give them more time to streamline their financial model

Following relegation, having had the Premier League’s seventh-highest playing budget, it would be almost impossible to comply with the tighter restrictions in the EFL for a second season without dramatic action and cost-cutting by the club.

To stop Leicester from becoming a model for clubs who — in their eyes –— want to flaunt the rules and gamble on getting straight back up, the EFL has tried to impose a business plan on the club, which would have constrained their budget and resulted in the sale of players and other cuts. Having lost that case, the EFL has now imposed a registration ban.

The EFL did so in the expectation that Leicester would breach again this season. That means it will push hard for a further charge, even if Leicester go up, meaning the club could face two charges in one season like Everton have this campaign.

A possible double-figure points deficit would be a huge hurdle to overcome, but with an increased budget they may feel they would at least have a fighting chance. Should they fail, they would be better prepared to meet the more stringent EFL regulations in 2025-26, if they still exist in their present form.

Another unknown is what form PSR may take from this summer, when the regulations are expected to change. If Leicester are a Premier League club, the new rules may leave them more wriggle room.

However, there isn’t just the threat of double sanctions. If Leicester go up and are proven to have breached PSR, there is the spectre of litigation from their rivals, who may feel they have a case to pursue if they can prove Leicester broke the rules to give themselves the best chance of going straight back up.

Leicester may argue they didn’t get a competitive advantage in 2022-23 given they were relegated, but if they get promoted in May having breached spending limits, they will have gained an unfair advantage.

But, as Borson points out, “There are very few ways in which clubs could sue because they have all agreed to these rules within the leagues. In the Premier League, you can’t just take clubs to court. You have to do it through the Premier League processes.”

In choosing a confrontational approach — rather than adopting a more conciliatory tone, admitting breaches and offering mitigation — Leicester have upset both leagues and will not have many sympathisers from fellow clubs.

Upsetting rivals, however, would be the least of Leicester’s problems if they are not back in the Premier League next season. Spending another season in the EFL, under the business plan the authorities seem determined to impose on them, would mean Leicester having to effectively start afresh. It could take several years for them to be in a position to go back to the Premier League, where they had aspired to challenge the elite of English football.

It is a cautionary tale for other aspirational clubs, who may think under the present PSR rules they must now budget for the worst-case scenario instead. That is why Leicester have decided to fight so hard and, more importantly, for so long against the Premier League’s charge.

“To say the league is acting unlawfully and outside its jurisdiction is a big call and a clear pointer they are thinking about arbitration, and if need be going to the High Court, to say the Premier League is effectively acting beyond its legal rights,” adds Borson. “The only club that did that is Manchester City. The thing with that sort of challenge is it will take months.

“The problem they have is that we have seen the only way to get mitigation and a reduced punishment is by not resisting, accepting the charge and the guilt, and sending it to an independent commission as soon as possible. In that scenario, you can claim a 25 to 30 per cent reduction in the sanction, like the Forest case.

“The bottom line is this is all unchartered territory. No one actually knows and anyone who tries to say they know definitively how this will be called are talking nonsense.”

Lots of stuff in that article. First thing is that we didn't finalise the deal to sell Maddison for a knock down price until after the end of June. The sale was reported to have completed on 29th June but obviously not.

It is also said that we agreed to sell him for less than we wanted because he'd go before the end of the reporting period. Thereby, helping us with PSR. To have missed the deadline and still sold him for a knock down price would be extraordinarily stupid, even for the clowns.

Lots of stuff in that article. First thing is that we didn't finalise the deal to sell Maddison for a knock down price until after the end of June. The sale was reported to have completed on 29th June but obviously not.

It is also said that we agreed to sell him for less than we wanted because he'd go before the end of the reporting period. Thereby, helping us with PSR. To have missed the deadline and still sold him for a knock down price would be extraordinarily stupid, even for the clowns.

I'm not sure I believe anything Tanner writes. When I had an Athletic subscription a few years ago I stopped reading his articles because they either seemed to be full of factual errors or the writing was just crap.
This is another example. "unchartered territory". It's "uncharted", you twat.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363
9Middlesbro4463
10Preston 4463