Leicester Legends at The Curve

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Gwilliam

I found the Leicester Legends evening very enjoyable and will put down what I remember. Other people who were there will no doubt remember different bits and hopefully correct me when my memory lets me down.
I apologise in advance for the length of this post feel different parts will interest different people and the fuller the account the better.

The Birch
Birch said the Martin O’Neill era may have won the most but they did not play the best football. Martin told Birch he was fed up with hearing about the Bloomfield era – “you won f_____ all”
Birch had been given Pele to mark in a game against New York Cosmos and having failed at that was switched to mark Beckenbauer.
It was on Birch’s suggestion that Mandaric first got interested in Leicester City. However he did not seem to have much affection for him whereas he went out of his way to praise the new owners.
In the 1970s Leicester City had a darts side and their first match was at the Dover castle – it is difficult to explain any further without seeming homophobic

La Manga 1 and 2
Taggs was on about how drunk players were at La Manga 1 and seemed to think it was normal for players on this kind of trop.The picture of Taggs apparently giving the V sign from the coach window on the way back from La Manga was he claimed in fact Muzzy leaning across .
At La Manga 2 Steffan Freud had concensual sex with one of the prostitutes and an unnamed player had oral sex.
Matt Elliot was very funny about being in cells with Paul Dickov and Lillian Nallis – though I would guess it was not at all funny at the time. Gerry Taggart had gone to Stoke just before La Manga 2 and was very relieved he had.

Martin O’Neill
Tony Cottee was saying what a good manager Martin O’Neill, was “though not the most likeable of mangers.”
Taggs got a rollocking for passing to Savage who then lost the ball. You pass to Muzzy or to Lennon because they can play football.
Matt Elliot was surprised how laid back the training under Martin was. The instruction for his first match which was against Wimbledon was “the big white geezer will try and throw the ball to the big black geezer at the near post. Beat the black geezer in the air and we will win the match
Tony Cottee got on alright with Robbie Savage but Steve Walsh thought him a prick
Martin had not got on with Brian Clough but had learned a lot from him.

Peter Taylor.
Peter Taylor treated Tony Cottee and Steve Walsh with a total lack of respect
Tony Cottee was scathing about Ade Akinbiyi and Trevor Benjamin… Matt Elliot was scathing about Lee Marshall Matt Jones and Junior Lewis
Peter Taylor was not strong enough and had to put up with cheek from Andy Impey in a way players would not have dared with Martin

Nigel Pearson
Gerry Taggart detested Lee Hoos – a view that seemed to be shared by the Birch. Hoos wanted to be rid of Taggs and when Taggs spoke to Nigel Pearson he was told Hoos wanted Nigel out as well.
Taggs said that we could have got Tom Cleverly on a season loan for £50,000 but Lee Hoos tried to get cocky with Sir Alex and Ferguson put the phone down on him.
Both Taggs and Birch praised Nigel Pearson and especially Steve Walsh Senior.

Oddments
Dennis Bergkampf was praised as a most difficult opponent.
Tony Cottee's greatest Leicester moment was scoring the only goal at Man U.
Andy King may be a future Leicester legend.

Excellent report .... though did nobody mention that the Bloomfield team won the prestigious ITV "All in the Game" trophy, where Frankie Wortho's talent for chipping footballs into a paddling pool gave us the edge?

Lazzer's Facebook status says he learned "a few things that went on under Milan" but that may just be the Hoos stuff. Maybe he'll enlighten us when he gets online...

Lazzer's Facebook status says he learned "a few things that went on under Milan" but that may just be the Hoos stuff. Maybe he'll enlighten us when he gets online...

That would be a first...

Was a really good night with a lot of laughs, first post sums it up very well.

Matty's account on La Manga 2 was very interesting. Scowcroft being done up like a kipper as he did not even go out for a drink!

Gerry still very bitter on how things turned out at city, with Lee Hoos being the centre of everything that was wrong and the Tom Cleverly story summing the guy up!

We all know that football has changed, but all four commented on how the modern day footballer and the game itself was miles away from the culture they had and players no longer have the passion for the game.

That would be a first...

Whatever trance boy.Nothing staggering to report. It was an enjoyable night with Birch doing his usual stuff Ive shagged Joanna Lumley blah blah. La manga doninated the discussion both 1 & 2 with some quality story telling from Matt Elliot. Lil Nallis was kept awake all night by a snoring Spanish drug dealer in the cells. When they left for court they were handcuffed together in pairs Matty and Frank. Lilian and Dickov. They were all sat in the van when in gets the spaniard who had been snoring allnight. Lil loses it tries to lamp him but as he is cuffed to Dicky the latter ends up punching him instead.
Taggarts impression of Oneil was quality " Gerry if you going to pass it give it to Lenny ,Give it Muzzy but for ****s sake do NOT give it to Savage "
The hatred of Hoos came out mainly from Taggs but also from walseh. Tags had wanted to enter a reserve team into a leaugue and NP had agreed. MM agreed and Tags waited patiently. At this point LH decided they needed to make cuts and the idea of a reserve team went. Gerry was told he wasnt wanted on the same day Dickov offered him the assistant managers job.
GT rang NP and he didnt want him to leave. A couple of days later NP rang GT and said "take the job go now they want you out and I am next " this was before the end of last season hence Sousa at the play offs.
What upset me the most was that NP had tied up The Cleverly loan for a full season for mere £50 grand agreed done and dusted then Hoos rang Fergy and suggested Cleverley should be happy to play for nothing Fegie hung up. Exactly the same situation with Mark Davis who loved it here deal was agreed for the season Hoos put the block on it. I wonder where my club would be now if that twat hadnt interfered.It was Hoos meddling that lead to NP's fall out and demise.
Birch was fairly upbeat about the future citing the improvements to Belvoir Drive which apparently is currently like a building site due to all the improvement work going on. The shop is being gutted and totally redesigned a lot of investment on improvements are currently under way or soon will be.
Birch also managed to use the term " Wolly Woofta" which i hadnt heard for a few decades. He also managed not to say dewberrys at any time during the proceedings.

Thank you Lazzer I remember all that now that you mention it. It is amazing how different people recall different bits.

Certainly there was a feeling that modern players have no passion for the game or for the club. However, this was being said in the days of Walsh and Cottee. Even in the days of Weller and Worthington Bill Nicholson resigned as Spurs manager citing the attitude of "modern" (i.e. 1970s) players who had no loyalty and were only interested in the money.

Some other things come to mind. They were saying that Bergkampf and Cantona had changed forward play in this country. It was hinted that it was more difficult to get team spirit when so many players are struggling with English and so many live away from Leicester..

Gerry Taggart said that he had first heard about La Manga 2 through a phone call from Matt Elliot's wife who was obviously very upset. It is easy to forget what a strain that was on the wives. It was not mentioned at the evening but I was told that Les Ferdinand not only left the group to have an early night but persuaded Jordan Stewart to do the same. If that is true I bet that got him in the good books of Mrs Ferdinand and Jordan Stewart's mum.

I found the Leicester Legends evening very enjoyable and will put down what I remember. Other people who were there will no doubt remember different bits and hopefully correct me when my memory lets me down.
I apologise in advance for the length of this post feel different parts will interest different people and the fuller the account the better.

The Birch
Birch said the Martin O’Neill era may have won the most but they did not play the best football. Martin told Birch he was fed up with hearing about the Bloomfield era – “you won f_____ all”
Birch had been given Pele to mark in a game against New York Cosmos and having failed at that was switched to mark Beckenbauer.
It was on Birch’s suggestion that Mandaric first got interested in Leicester City. However he did not seem to have much affection for him whereas he went out of his way to praise the new owners.
In the 1970s Leicester City had a darts side and their first match was at the Dover castle – it is difficult to explain any further without seeming homophobic

La Manga 1 and 2
Taggs was on about how drunk players were at La Manga 1 and seemed to think it was normal for players on this kind of trop.The picture of Taggs apparently giving the V sign from the coach window on the way back from La Manga was he claimed in fact Muzzy leaning across .
At La Manga 2 Steffan Freud had concensual sex with one of the prostitutes and an unnamed player had oral sex.
Matt Elliot was very funny about being in cells with Paul Dickov and Lillian Nallis – though I would guess it was not at all funny at the time. Gerry Taggart had gone to Stoke just before La Manga 2 and was very relieved he had.

Martin O’Neill
Tony Cottee was saying what a good manager Martin O’Neill, was “though not the most likeable of mangers.”
Taggs got a rollocking for passing to Savage who then lost the ball. You pass to Muzzy or to Lennon because they can play football.
Matt Elliot was surprised how laid back the training under Martin was. The instruction for his first match which was against Wimbledon was “the big white geezer will try and throw the ball to the big black geezer at the near post. Beat the black geezer in the air and we will win the match
Tony Cottee got on alright with Robbie Savage but Steve Walsh thought him a prick
Martin had not got on with Brian Clough but had learned a lot from him.

Peter Taylor.
Peter Taylor treated Tony Cottee and Steve Walsh with a total lack of respect
Tony Cottee was scathing about Ade Akinbiyi and Trevor Benjamin… Matt Elliot was scathing about Lee Marshall Matt Jones and Junior Lewis
Peter Taylor was not strong enough and had to put up with cheek from Andy Impey in a way players would not have dared with Martin

Nigel Pearson
Gerry Taggart detested Lee Hoos – a view that seemed to be shared by the Birch. Hoos wanted to be rid of Taggs and when Taggs spoke to Nigel Pearson he was told Hoos wanted Nigel out as well.
Taggs said that we could have got Tom Cleverly on a season loan for £50,000 but Lee Hoos tried to get cocky with Sir Alex and Ferguson put the phone down on him.
Both Taggs and Birch praised Nigel Pearson and especially Steve Walsh Senior.

Oddments
Dennis Bergkampf was praised as a most difficult opponent.
Tony Cottee's greatest Leicester moment was scoring the only goal at Man U.
Andy King may be a future Leicester legend.

Thanks DG and Lazzer and Gore. Sounds like a good evening. Couldn't help but pick you up on the above DG - no further comment required i'm sure you will agree:icon_bigg

Really interesting read. Thanks for that!

Thanks very much to all those who came along last night. I thought it was a very enjoyable evening and Matt's story about Nallis punching the spanish snorer whilst handcuffed to Dickov was very funny. Some very honest comments made by the guys and I thought they were all very good.

Just need to work on the follow-up now and it would be interesting to hear who you would like to see in this type of show.

If you are talking Leicester legends I would like to see Frank Worthington, Mark Wallington, Sir Gary (too expensive), Nigel pearson,
any other Bloomfeild boys. Of the current players Wellens and gallagher seem to be the comedians.

If you are talking Leicester legends I would like to see Frank Worthington, Mark Wallington, Sir Gary (too expensive), Nigel pearson,
any other Bloomfeild boys. Of the current players Wellens and gallagher seem to be the comedians.

Good shout. He could tell us all about his culinary skills as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669