Leicester Speedway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazzman

Leicester Lions re-enter the Speedway circles for the first time in donkeys this year. The stadium is near completion, although it's not much of a stadium currently and will probably not be for another season yet.

The fixtures were released last week with Saturday 2nd April being the first challenge match against Sheffield and Sunday 10th April being the first league fixture against Scunthorpe. Saturday meetings will started at 7.30pm with Sunday's at 7pm. They are riding at the second tier of the sport which is no bad thing as two nearby midland teams, Coventry and Peterborough pulled out of the top level this winter cos they disgareed with a couple of rules changes.

Don't expect any success, the confirmed line-up for this season to put it lightly is poor and clearly ran on a budget. My hope is that the track is conclusive to good racing thereby a success and enjoyable. Course if not, it will fail...Speedway is a brilliant sport with the right atmosphere and good racing...if it's stale and poor racing, one of the worst there is.

I went down the old Speedway track in the early to mid 70's sometimes.

We used to spend most of the night eyeing up the girls and trying to get off with them or try and walk them back into town.

The memories. Even met my first proper girlfriend at that Stadium, she was a City fan as well.

Leicester are also hosting Long Eaton fixtures as they try to get their team back going and create renewed interest in getting a new track built there.

Leicester are also hosting Long Eaton fixtures as they try to get their team back going and create renewed interest in getting a new track built there.

When the Lions surfaced in the late 60's wasnt it Long Eaton's riders from the previous year that made up the Lions team.

Heres the front of the old Stadium

Attachments

• stadium1.jpg
    stadium1.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Beaumont Park. Basically the fields behind Tesco B Leys, off Bennion Road.

Right on.
Is it just a trackway or have they got some facilities there? Is it fair to call it a stadium or would it be best to bring your own seating arrangements?

Right on.
Is it just a trackway or have they got some facilities there? Is it fair to call it a stadium or would it be best to bring your own seating arrangements?

They built a pits area, bar and done some concrete terracing.

They are beginning in a temporary 700 seater stand.

The term stadium should be loosely used.

Here's pictures
http://www.leicester-speedway.com/gallery/

Tickets for the first meeting against Sheffield go on sale tomorrow.

Opening Night Tickets go on Sale!
Due to public demand we have decided to sell tickets in advance of the opening meeting on 2nd April so that supporters can be assured of entry into the stadium. Fans are strongly advised to take up the offer of buying tickets in advance of the meeting as we are expecting a sell-out.

If you wish to pay by debit or credit card then call the Lions hotline on 0116 235 0082 between 10.00am and 4.00pm Mondays and Thursdays and 9.00am to 4.00pm Saturdays. Lines open Saturday 26th February.

If the line is busy we ask you to please be patient as we are expecting a huge response.

Alternatively, you can send a cheque or postal order with a note stating how many tickets you require to Leicester Speedway, The Pavilion, Beaumont Way, Beaumont Leys, Leicester, LE4 1DS. Cheques/postal orders should be made payable to ‘Leicester Speedway Limited’. Ticket prices can be found on the club details page. Please add an additional £1.00 to cover post and packing.

Tickets will be dispatched approximately one week prior to the opening meeting on 2nd April.

I can't believe my daddy took the niece along last night. I begged him to take me to Blackbird Rd when I was a kid (I am that old), and he never did. I feel unloved and dejected. :(

You probably should've asked him to take you to Parker drive :icon_wink

Went tonight. By Speedway's standards, it's a massive achievement.

Quite nice in the Sun supping a pint but the track was poor and the performance just as bad.

Very tough couple of months ahead, I hope lessons are learnt as the potential is massive.

Looking forward to Somerset away in late May necking the local's cider.

Went tonight. By Speedway's standards, it's a massive achievement.

Quite nice in the Sun supping a pint but the track was poor and the performance just as bad.

Very tough couple of months ahead, I hope lessons are learnt as the potential is massive.

Looking forward to Somerset away in late May necking the local's cider.

Just how bad was the defeat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670