Leicester to lose out on hosting World Cup games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wombat

Walkers Stadium is on the short-list to host WC group-stage games if England's 2018 bid is successful, and as of last month we were favourites to host the tournament

We should be an established Premiership side by then, but regardless, we already have the quality of stadium & travel advantages to have Leicester awarded some games

Now I see in this morning's press, some dickhead editor at the Sunday Times thought it would be a good idea to set up a sting operation to catch some WC comittee members in a conflict-of-interest situation before they have to vote on who to award the 2018 World Cup.

Quite understandably, there's been a backlash by the FIFA voting committee against awarding the tournament to England, as we are now seen as having a 'witch hunt' media which would continue to dig dirt & cause embarassment to FIFA.

The voting committee now appear to want to keep as much distance between themselves and England as possible, in relation to hosting future World Cups. This will cost England & Leicester millions, if we miss out on hosting the 2018 World Cup

No-one likes to see corruption in the game's ruling body, but the Sunday Times coersing the committee members into agreeing to have football facilities built in their countries, in exchange for their vote, seems insane :bang:

I urge all members on the LCFC forum to stop buying the Sunday Times

Walkers Stadium is on the short-list to host WC group-stage games if England's 2018 bid is successful, and as of last month we were favourites to host the tournament

We should be an established Premiership side by then, but regardless, we already have the quality of stadium & travel advantages to have Leicester awarded some games

Now I see in this morning's press, some dickhead editor at the Sunday Times thought it would be a good idea to set up a sting operation to catch some WC comittee members in a conflict-of-interest situation before they have to vote on who to award the 2018 World Cup.

Quite understandably, there's been a backlash by the FIFA voting committee against awarding the tournament to England, as we are now seen as having a 'witch hunt' media which would continue to dig dirt & cause embarassment to FIFA.

The voting committee now appear to want to keep as much distance between themselves and England as possible, in relation to hosting future World Cups. This will cost England & Leicester millions, if we miss out on hosting the 2018 World Cup

No-one likes to see corruption in the game's ruling body, but the Sunday Times coersing the committee members into agreeing to have football facilities built in their countries, in exchange for their vote, seems insane :bang:

they should be ****ing embarrassed

Serves them right.

Shame you overlooked that The Walkers was eliminated from the bid some time ago. Personally, I can't understand why they preferred the new Wembley to the Walkers as the potential World Cup Final venue. Do you think that the Sunday Times has undermined us on that one too?

No, we weren't. Leicester, Derby and Hull were 'culled' by the bid committee.

Why should we stop buying Sunday Times? The FIFA is a corrupt organisation, they should be shown up for what they are. If the journalism is of such sufficient quality, it should be supported and if you read the first article, it's more than good enough. The country should not brown-nose FIFA to host a football tournament. **** 'em.

Why should we stop buying Sunday Times? The FIFA is a corrupt organisation, they should be shown up for what they are. If the journalism is of such sufficient quality, it should be supported and if you read the first article, it's more than good enough. The country should not brown-nose FIFA to host a football tournament. **** 'em.

quite well put Hazz:038:

:038:

I don't buy the Times, Sunday or otherwise, but I'm proud that I live in a country where we have a free press that can expose corruption in this way.

If the cost of that is losing the occasional international sporting tournament to a more pliable nation, I'm well willing to pay.

If I ever think the Murdoch press is principled or acting in my interests, I go and lie down in a dark room, until my much more rational and healthy feelings of loathing and contempt for them rise to the surface.

It's been obvious since before the South African world cup that the whole shebang from the Times and the Sun to Sky is rubbishing the WC. Andy Gray can't resist banging on about how the Prem/Champions League has better football - even Monday's water polo game at Blackpool. Could it be coincidence, or is the fact that this is a competition they won't have the rights for playing a part here?

It's hardly news that FIFA is corrupt. What's more newsworthy is that they obviously aren't going to put up with seven years bollocking from the Murdoch-led English media. So the "F**k 'em" comes back to us with nobs on.

Last edited:
That's an entertaining conspiracy theory.

The 1990 world cup is what kicked off the gentrification of football. Sky might not have had the rights to that tournament, but they certainly profited though its success. Success at World Cups and the Euros has also been pretty strongly linked to interest in football the following autumn. I'm pretty sure that the suits at Sky realise that a successful world cup in England would be a gold mine for the Premier League, and hence themselves.

So shouldn't the real question be why aren't the Times helping to cover it all up? The only answer can be that that dastardly Mr Murdoch can't be as powerful as you think he is.

Last edited:
If I ever think the Murdoch press is principled or acting in my interests, I go and lie down in a dark room, until my much more rational and healthy feelings of loathing and contempt for them rise to the surface.

Good call. Sometimes when faced with two utterly corrupt organizations - like FIFA and News International, say - there is the weird temptation to drag out the scales of justice to try and determine which has the least weight of sin.

I don't buy the Times, Sunday or otherw*s*, but I'm proud that I live in a country where we have a free press that can expose corruption in this way.

If the cost of that is losing the occasional international sporting tournament to a more pliable nation, I'm well willing to pay.

We're all proud to have a country with truly 'free' press, but to lose hosting a World Cup with the jobs & revenue for many thousands of ordinary, hard working people in order to "expose" something that's already well known, is putting extra sales revenue for the news paper, ahead of the nations best interests

We're all proud to have a country with truly 'free' press, but to lose hosting a World Cup with the jobs & revenue for many thousands of ordinary, hard working people in order to "expose" something that's already well known, is putting extra sales revenue for the news paper, ahead of the nations best interests

So, you'd be more comfortable with a media organisation not reporting on something that's true?

Seriously, I couldn't disagree with you more.

Earth to Wombat, Earth to Wombat...

A) we haven't been on the short list for about a year - where have you been ??

B) the world cup vote is well known as one of the most corrupt voting processes known to man. Exposing it for what it is is one of the best things to happen to football for many a year

B) the world cup vote is well known as one of the most corrupt voting processes known to man. Exposing it for what it is is one of the best things to happen to football for many a year

:038:

C) why blame a paper for exposing corruption? surely exposing corruption is a good thing

:102:

C) why blame a paper for exposing corruption? surely exposing corruption is a good thing

:102:

Maybe waiting a month and publishing AFTER we have been awarded the 2018 World Cup would have been the best situation for the 'truth & justice' brigade and true patriots / football fans, who would have loved to see the WC back on English soil???

There's no good to have come out of the Sunday Times article, only bad shit for everyone involved

The only ones to gain look like our rival bidders Russia, US & Spain/Portugal, and England would do a better job hosting in 2018 than any of that lot

Maybe waiting a month and publishing AFTER we have been awarded the 2018 World Cup would have been the best situation for the 'truth & justice' brigade and true patriots / football fans, who would have loved to see the WC back on English soil???

There's no good to have come out of the Sunday Times article, only bad shit for everyone involved

The only ones to gain look like our rival bidders Russia, US & Spain/Portugal, and England would do a better job hosting in 2018 than any of that lot

USA have dropped out of the bid.

I for one couldn't care less where they host the World Cup as long as it's not in Britain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669