Leicestershire Villages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melton Fox

Dancing Queen
Anybody know which is the biggest and the smallest?

In terms of physical size, population, qty of homes, qty of local amenities etc?

Obviously there could be a different answer to each one, just something I'm curious about.

It all depends on what you class as a village I suppose. Desford is pretty big.....

I'l guess at Normanton le Heath or Ravenstone as being about the smallest.

Last edited:
It all depends on what you class as a village I suppose. Desford is pretty big.....
Well that's another question I meant to ask;

What defines a village?

I s'pose it's easy enough to find the answer, just thought somebody might know.

Its a tough one to call as there are no prerequisites to define village or indeed a hamlet :102: Most villages started out as agricultural settlements but with urban sprawl it gets more difficult to identify the difference between town and village.Even somewhere as urban as Aylestone is refered to as the village around wigston lane.Thurmaston also is still known as the village. I would say Broughton is fair size for a village and somewhere like shearsby as a fairly small one .

In terms of population it's not even close to being the biggest village in the county.

I wasn't particularly thinking in terms of population. More like in terms of size, amenities etc. So which village do you think is the most populated then?

I would say Broughton is fair size for a village and somewhere like shearsby as a fairly small one .
Good shout.

Can't find confirmation though, but wiki has it listed as the biggest, but on what criteria I'm not sure

Wiki said:
The largest population centre is Leicester, followed by Loughborough. Other major towns include Ashby-de-la-Zouch, Coalville, Hinckley, Market Harborough, Melton Mowbray, Oadby and Wigston.

Some of the larger of Leicestershire's villages are: Broughton Astley (said to be the largest village in the county, which has also claimed to be the largest village in England and indeed Europe), Castle Donington, Kibworth Beauchamp (along with Kibworth Harcourt), Great Glen, Ibstock, Countesthorpe and Great Easton.

I wasn't particularly thinking in terms of population. More like in terms of size, amenities etc. So which village do you think is the most populated then?

What amenities has Desford got?

I know they have the college, but there's not a great deal else there is there?

The bigger villages are probably ones that have pretty much been merged into other places. For example Burbage is I think officially a village, and has a population of aound 14,000, but it's become part of Hinckley really. Same thing with some of the bigger villages on the outskirts of Leicester, places like Glenfield, Thurmaston etc. Narborough etc. Whitwick is another one with quite a big population for a village.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669