Manager salaries in the Prem

Status
Not open for further replies.

big_mac4824

MANAGER TEAM SALARY

Pep Guardiola(New) Manchester City £15m (3 year deal set to start in 2016-17 season

Jose Mourinho(new) Manchester United £13.8m (3 year deal with option to extend to fourth year)
Arsene Wenger
Arsenal £8.30m (signed a 3 year deal in May 2014)

Jurgen Klopp Liverpool £7m (3 year deal)

Antonio Conte(new) Chelsea £6.5m (3 year deal from 2016-17 season)

Mauricio Pochettino Tottenham £5.5m (signed 5 year extension till 2021 season)
Ronald Koeman
Everton £6m (signed a 3 year deal)

Rafael Benitez Newcastle United £4.5m (signed a three year deal after Newcastle were relegated)
Claudio Ranieri Leicester City £3m (signed a improved deal in 2016. £5m bonus for League win)
Slaven Bilic West Ham United £2.95m

According to Talk Spurs the Boro manager is on 350K a year with Mark Hughes on a reported 950K PA, I think the board have done well with CR considering what he has achieved especially if you look at Pochettino who has managed to produce failure at every point.

I have added Rafa Benitez to highlight just how much Newcastle are paying in the Championship.

I don't begrudge Ranieri a penny of it. Nor do I the players.

The issue I have is with expectations. If we're paying our players and manager about the eighth highest money in the league, we should be expecting the results to match.

Too many people are saying that we've found our level again after one extraordinary season. That may be correct historically, but the contracts dished out since the end of last season mean that we're not the club we were any more. Vardy is on double the money that Harry Kane is. Ranieri is on three times what Mark Hughes is on, etc.

There are some managers and players on a lot less money doing better than us right now. Anything below eighth is a failure in the 'new world'.

The issue I have is with expectations. If we're paying our players and manager about the eighth highest money in the league, we should be expecting the results to match.

Too many people are saying that we've found our level again after one extraordinary season. That may be correct historically, but the contracts dished out since the end of last season mean that we're not the club we were any more. Vardy is on double the money that Harry Kane is. Ranieri is on three times what Mark Hughes is on, etc.

There are some managers and players on a lot less money doing better than us right now. Anything below eighth is a failure in the 'new world'.
Yup. I could possibly accept the BMW as an unconditional "well done" gift but long-term contracts are not. They are supposed to reflect consistent ability.

Completely agree.

In the book Soccernomics, it discusses money spent versus success. They found that wages, not transfer fees, are by far the biggest driver of success, and that there is a pretty strong correlation.

So as you say, we're clearly underperforming in the PL when compared to wages.

My only consolation is that we're exceeding expectations in the CL, which is clearly where the players are asserting themselves the most. For now, I'm more than happy with that (although I appreciate that that's not a sentiment you share).

I'd play for nothing and I'm by far the greatest player the world has ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566