Martin Allen

Status
Not open for further replies.
By the way, what has Allen done - promotions, number of places up table, 30 goal striker bought for £20,000 etc?

Superb at cash-strapped Brentford - Getting the play-offs with little money repeatly, good cup-runs, got took a replay by Hinckley, managed to attract Greg Dyke to club as manager.

His record stands at Won 54 Lost 34 Drawn 36 - Brentford

Par for the course at MK Dons - Play-Off Semi-Final exit

Record - w28 l16 d11

3rd time lucky for allen in playoffs for us hopefully! or if not id take 1st or 2nd!

Anyone seen this report anywhere else? :102: :102:

Wouldn't be too unhappy with Allen if we can't get Coleman or Davies, but there again I thought PT was a good choice so what the feck do I know.

Seen on the Rivals site. :icon_lol: :icon_lol: ;)

Just heard on the radio that "Mad Dog" Martin Allen is favourite to become your new manager.
If you like your football to be route one and played by thugs then MA is your man.
He is a one trick pony and his teams get sussed out pretty soon (as his record shows).

Not sure what to make of it really - not really for nor against that possible appointment. I think hes done okay in the lower leagues but not really been outstanding. He does come across though as someone that takes no prisoners so to speak.. I guess it would remain to be seen whether he'd have the tactical nouse to manage in this league, or indeed - higher.

If it is best get used to Hoof footballhey were used to that already.

Would be happy if untrue ;)

I wouldn't mind Allen. He's fresh. He works closely with a Sports Scientist and generally is a bit different. I don't mind direct football if it works and isn't ugly.

However, one thing really scares me. He's signed a certain Junior Lewis not once but twice.

Not the actions of a sane man.

No experience at this level or higher, would be un happy with this appointment, when Warnock is available.

Some quotes from a Brentford forum from when he resigned - sounds like he plays boring long ball football, with no plan B, but he's good at plan A, for a while at least.
After reading these I don't want him:

Much as i like MA i think his tactics were starting to wane a little, the form and lack of ideas in the last 10 or so games was an indication of what was perhaps a lack of nouse.

thanks MA for 2 and a bit years of success, not ultimate success, but we have moved forward as a club from where we were.

Now time for a young ambitious manager with drive and tatical nous

I hope we get a good up and coming new manager again , but one who likes passing ,attacking football a little more

now is the time to move forward and lets find ourselves a manager who beleives that playing good football on the deck will be the way forward

You can say whatever you like about MA, but he has transformed this club since he arrived and really dragged us out of the shit when we looked doomed, and (apart from recent months) has made me proud again to support Brentford. He's layed the foundations for a very good team, some of the disrespectfull comments on here are just terrible when you think where we could of been if he didn't turn up on that day in late March...
He done the best he could with the resources he was given and along the way has given us some proud and memerable moments, we should'nt forget that !

My criteria is always did he leave us in a better position than when he arrived - the answer is yes.

However, the squad of players we are left with is not that hot - nothing coming through

If I was Palace I wouldn't go for him - better in a negative than a positive sense. Made Brentford hard to beat (mostly) but our failure to beat teams at home sums up the problem he had

you can't knock what he's achieved here although it all went a bit pear shaped towards the end.
a reading fan i know said when he first arrived with us that he would only be successful for so long but then the players would get fed up with his constant bawling and things would go downhill from there.maybe thats how it turned out??

Thanks for the memories martin, now p**s off! Thanks for landing us with loads of duff players on long contracts that aint good enough

He has done a great deal for the club in the last two years in terms of media profile and also results. He couldn't get us over the line and many of us didn't enjoy the style of play that much but no way can he be regarded as a failure.

I thought he took some very poor decisions over the critical last few weeks of the season when the pressure was really on, he made some questionable purchases when we were short of cash and I think he has played all his motivational cards. I'm grateful for what he did but was not looking forward to another season of him in charge.

in the end long ball merchants always end where they belong.Cambridge, Bury, Wimbledon

Disappointed but not devastated by any means and probably a good time for Allen and the Bees to part company.

His 'motivational' techniques seem to have run their course and I doubt we would have had success with him under a reduced budget next year.

What I find amazing is that all the people rejoicing we have Allen instead of Warnock. He is fecking Warnock without championship experience or the managerial record too boot. His character is very similar to Colin's. Very brave move if true, could be a stroke of genius or an unmitigated disaster.

His lack of experience worries me, surprised that Mandaric has not gone for a manager with a higher profile and experience. Would have prefered Grayson, Tilson or Newell over Allen to be honest. Hardly the appointment to set the heart racing.

What I find amazing is that all the people rejoicing we have Allen instead of Warnock. He is fecking Warnock without championship experience or the managerial record too boot. His character is very similar to Colin's. Very brave move if true, could be a stroke of genius or an unmitigated disaster.

His lack of experience worries me, surprised that Mandaric has not gone for a manager with a higher profile and experience. Would have prefered Grayson, Tilson or Newell over Allen to be honest. Hardly the appointment to set the heart racing.

I would still go for Newell. I think any manager would have struggled with the situation he found himself in at Luton. How are you meant to go anywhere if you are going to sell all your best players and not replace them? I would go for BD over MN but seeings as even if Derby don't go up this year I don't think he'd come here - I think Newell would be about the best appointment we could make.

maybe the guy didnt have the players at brentford to play lovely passing football, so he made his team play to their strengths. a tactical basic if ever there was one and one that our last 2 wankers havnt had.

maybe it wasnt his restrictions as a manager but infact the restrictions of the players in that league.

This is all a bad dream, a nightmare even and when I wake up all this talk of Martin Allen will be a distant memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669