matt elliot

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazzer

what are the forums thoughts on the return to fitness of matt elliot and his place in the team ?

I think he's good enough for this standard and stick him at the back with Keown.He's good for set pieces as well,as long as the delivery is good which apparently it isn't at the moment.Any fooker will do at the moment :wink:

shouldn't be picked ahead of Dabizas, Heath or Keown. I've not seen Stearman play but still tempted to put him ahead of ME.

I've nothing against Matty, he was a legend under O'Neill, but just like people remember Guppy in his heyday, thats since gone. I for one couldn't understand why fans on here were moaning Gups wasn't given a contract, he was crap last year - even worse than Wilcox.

He apparently did really well at Ipswich last season in this division. OK, he's 'lost a yard in pace' but he never had that in the first place. He reads the game well, and as long as Micky gives him a chance this time round (I felt he was dealt with harshly last season) he could 'do a job' for us. Mind you, refence that last comment, I wouldn't fancy him in the Prem though these days (if that's where we're supposed to be heading :? )

You'd have to ask yourself if he and Keown could play together - zero pace. But, as with Keown, class is permanent, despite the age.

Did I get enough footballing cliches in? The boy could've done good in a game of two halves... etc etc :wink:

DesertFox said:
He apparently did really well at Ipswich last season in this division. OK, he's 'lost a yard in pace' but he never had that in the first place. He reads the game well, and as long as Micky gives him a chance this time round (I felt he was dealt with harshly last season) he could 'do a job' for us. Mind you, refence that last comment, I wouldn't fancy him in the Prem though these days (if that's where we're supposed to be heading :? )

You'd have to ask yourself if he and Keown could play together - zero pace. But, as with Keown, class is permanent, despite the age.

Did I get enough footballing cliches in? The boy could've done good in a game of two halves... etc etc :wink:

At the end of the day none of our central defenders have pace so ME is on level terms there.
On passed performances he can pass and read the game better than both Dabizas and Heath so should be in the team in theory, but as Dunc says this is going back 2 years when he was playing regulary, IMO unless there is an injury crises he will warm the bench at best.

beaumontfox said:
from a purely female point of view(and nothing to do with football whatsoever) he has GREAT thighs :p :lol: :D

A nice pair of tits aswell. :wink:

Far better than Heath imo, i'd have him in there with Keown.

Naughty Fox said:
, but as Dunc says this is going back 2 years when he was playing regulary,
he was first name on the team sheet at ipswich last season, looked the dogs in div 1 (regular man of the match) and would do a great job for us at set pieces as well as captaining from the back.

chuck him on up front, he can't do any fecking worse can he.

and i do not dream of him... :wink:

He should stick to writing that unfunny column in the program, if he has to be doing anything at all.

Dabizas is lazy and inconsistent though (or just consistently bad??) so maybe he has to be a last ditch option to cover injuries or something like that ...

lazzer said:
what are the forums thoughts on the return to fitness of matt elliot and his place in the team ?

Matt Elliot already has the best job in English football - why on earth would he want to play any games for Micky?

Dunc said:
shouldn't be picked ahead of Dabizas, Heath or Keown. I've not seen Stearman play but still tempted to put him ahead of ME.

I've nothing against Matty, he was a legend under O'Neill, but just like people remember Guppy in his heyday, thats since gone. I for one couldn't understand why fans on here were moaning Gups wasn't given a contract, he was crap last year - even worse than Wilcox.

One thing about Matty, he's done the business with City in the past and he does offer something in attack. That said is there any point City looking to him when people like Stearman and Heath need as much opportunity as possible?.

Let stick Dublin in defense and Matty Elliott Upfront for the last 20mins of tomorrows match?

Good to hear more measured opinions about Matty. The stuff that was posted on here about him during the promo season was just, well, hysterical isn't the word for it.

Matty is a great reader of the game, he's got a bit of ability too and he's great in the air. And he leads the line superbly. The defensive stats when we went up were THE BEST IN OUR HISTORY.

Surprise coming up...I defended this man to the hilt in the past, particularly when his sick want-away antics were still too fresh in the minds of some on this forum (like turning up pissed for training as well as deliberately playing crap so that PT would send him up to MON) but things have moved on...

Keown is the new natural leader of the line and hopefully, soon, his authority will be felt throughout the side. But there can only be one master.

Knowing Matty, he will try and impose himself on Big Martin just like he tried to do with Steve Walsh (and we all know what happened there). In the end Elliott had to accept Walshie was the boss - somehow I don't think he'll be quite so accommodating with Keown and that means trouble.

So it's the bench for you Matty me ol' fruit, as we have just a little strength in your department (well, by Championship standards at any rate) Cold hard logic m'ducks. No ranting, no raving, no scapegoating.

Your's in the spirit of JW (one year on I think).

the big man was probably our most important player in the late 90s/early 00s. he was not the same player in Taylor's 2nd season - I first noticed this at Newcastle away where he made a complete crap-up to lose us the game :(

i think we probably miss Taggs more than Elliott at the mo but he still has a lot to offer. IMO I'd rather him play then Dabizas and Heath but I appreciate I really don't know what's going on (I hate this - I used to feel that no one knew more about what was going on at LCFC but this is sadly not the case any more :( ).

SamJ

SamuearlJackson said:
the big man was probably our most important player in the late 90s/early 00s. he was not the same player in Taylor's 2nd season - I first noticed this at Newcastle away where he made a complete crap-up to lose us the game :(

i think we probably miss Taggs more than Elliott at the mo but he still has a lot to offer. IMO I'd rather him play then Dabizas and Heath but I appreciate I really don't know what's going on (I hate this - I used to feel that no one knew more about what was going on at LCFC but this is sadly not the case any more :( ).

SamJ

You'r the lucky one, the rest of us have to go and watch the buggers everyweek!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566