Matt Mills

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Major

I just don't think it has anything to do with the business he runs. Why would a natural disaster on the other side of the world have anything to do with how he runs this football club? Sure, it's a horrible thing to happen and I'm sure it's affected him and his business concerns back in Thailand, but it has precisely feck all to do with his work with our club. If anything, he seems to be just as involved as he's ever been - I can't think of many other club owners would go down to watch the club's reserve matches in the middle of Feb.

I don't think it's anything to do with the floods, but the business still needs running. There are still decisions to be made and meetings to attend.

indierich06

I don't think it's anything to do with the floods, but the business still needs running. There are still decisions to be made and meetings to attend.

I know, but what I'm saying is that Top's obviosuly got enough free time on his hands if he's got time to go and watch reserve team games - I just think they're happy to let Pearson get on with things. Just because they're not being interviewed every other week, it doesn't mean it's not business as usual behind the scenes.

As a side note (and I'm showing my ignorance here) does Top actually have much to do with King Power i.e. is he on the board there too? Or is the running of KP more down to Vichai? Top certainly seems to have a lot more visible involvement in Leicester City than his father.

The Old Fox

Its possible that the owners may have discovered that celebrating 'name' managers like Sousa and Sven and bringing in over priced players does not in itself guarantee promotion.

From a business standpoint they must have worked out that expectations are already way too high - and vamping them up any more would probably be counter-productive.

Pearson projects himself and probably is a much more down to earth manager and less likely to buy into the hype. This is the right approach for where the club is.......but at the end of the day no manager whatever their strengths or weaknesses can survive without good results. How many managers could survive 6 successive defeats fo instance?

I know that I'm an old curmudgeon, but I honestly don't get this - and yes, I know that yours is the majority view on this board.

Of course, big names do not guarantee promotion and, Pearson is certainly achieving similar results to Sven, with players of a fraction the cost: but, I thought that Sven was sacked for not getting us, at least, into the play-off places, NOT as a cost cutting exercise. Big names do not guarantee success, but little ones will only take a team so far.

Am I not correct in thinking that next season we will be under restraint as to how much we can spend? If this means no star players, we will have a fair/good Championship team, but nothing special and, I would expect the likes of Schmeichel (why do I have to check the spelling of his name EVERY time??? :icon_bigg) to jump ship.

Redditch Fox

I know that I'm an old curmudgeon, but I honestly don't get this - and yes, I know that yours is the majority view on this board.

Of course, big names do not guarantee promotion and, Pearson is certainly achieving similar results to Sven, with players of a fraction the cost: but, I thought that Sven was sacked for not getting us, at least, into the play-off places, NOT as a cost cutting exercise. Big names do not guarantee success, but little ones will only take a team so far.

Am I not correct in thinking that next season we will be under restraint as to how much we can spend? If this means no star players, we will have a fair/good Championship team, but nothing special and, I would expect the likes of Schmeichel (why do I have to check the spelling of his name EVERY time??? :icon_bigg) to jump ship.

You've got me worried now.

I'd never considered I'd be in the majority on any given issue on this forum and if I am then it almost certainly means I've got it seriously wrong.

However, I think you are misunderstanding me. My point has always been that the 'big names' thing was a delusion. We never actually got the 'big names' under dear old Sven - we got over priced playerswho thought they were big time charlies.

In comparison Pearson seems to have a gift for finding or developing players who tend to have a better work ethic. I think that there are already signs that we are becoming more difficult to beat and this is partly based on Pearson not putting up with nonsense. Unfortunately he is saddled with this still hoping for promotion this season. But this unrealistic expectation will melt away in all probability and the focus will properly fall on next season.

Of course I could be wrong and stranger things have happened than us creeping into the play offs from our current position - but my expectation is continued improvement and a half decent chance next season.

Macky

Gruntled Member
I know that yours is the majority view on this board.

There is no such thing Ken. That would be like walking into a pub where everybody is drinking the same drink.

We will have precisely the same constraints as every other team in the league.

Mawsley

Has anyone considered that the reason the owners haven't been seen recently might be;

a) They have another business to run.
b) It's ****ing cold in England during Jan and Feb.

No.

And I think it was wrong of them to headbutt Pearson too.

The Old Fox

You've got me worried now.

I'd never considered I'd be in the majority on any given issue on this forum and if I am then it almost certainly means I've got it seriously wrong.

However, I think you are misunderstanding me. My point has always been that the 'big names' thing was a delusion. We never actually got the 'big names' under dear old Sven - we got over priced playerswho thought they were big time charlies.

In comparison Pearson seems to have a gift for finding or developing players who tend to have a better work ethic. I think that there are already signs that we are becoming more difficult to beat and this is partly based on Pearson not putting up with nonsense. Unfortunately he is saddled with this still hoping for promotion this season. But this unrealistic expectation will melt away in all probability and the focus will properly fall on next season.

Of course I could be wrong and stranger things have happened than us creeping into the play offs from our current position - but my expectation is continued improvement and a half decent chance next season.

I agree that Sven's stars did not all shine - although Schmeichel, Bamba, Danns and Nugent look good (How many of them will be here next season?). I also accept that Pearson is developing a team with work ethic but, will that be enough against whichever three teams drop from the Premiership; Charlton and, possibly, Huddersfield from Division One and whichever of this season's Championship top six fail to achieve promotion? I think not. I do not fear relegation under Pearson, but cannot see promotion either.

indierich06

I agree that Sven's stars did not all shine - although Schmeichel, Bamba, Danns and Nugent look good (How many of them will be here next season?). I also accept that Pearson is developing a team with work ethic but, will that be enough against whichever three teams drop from the Premiership; Charlton and, possibly, Huddersfield from Division One and whichever of this season's Championship top six fail to achieve promotion? I think not. I do not fear relegation under Pearson, but cannot see promotion either.

Why do you think that all of these players are going to jump ship as soon as the season's over? In all honesty, I can't see Premier League clubs beating a path to our door to sign any of them, and why would they go to another Championship club who can't match anything like they're getting paid here?

Your assumption that because we've got Pearson in the investment will be withdrawn is just that too - an assumption. Our owners have seen that big name managers and high transfer fees haven't worked in our ultimate mission of achieving promotion, so they've gone back to Pearson - a manager who has a good knowledge of this league and has proven he can build a team which can be successful in this league - Hull look a great side at the minute (whether Barmby undoes all of that is another matter).

For what it's worth, I don't think we'll see spending on anywhere near the same level as last season, not because the backing isn't there, but because that's not how Pearson works. If he continues to make acquisitions along the lines that he has done so far (i.e. Marshall, Drinkwater and Delfouneso) we won't have to shell out massive transfer fees to get quality in.

I think the owners should be applauded to be honest, they seem to have realised that they can't just throw money at the club to get us promoted and they seem to have changed their strategy now. I said it in another thread; if Pearson can make a few key acquisitions, then I would expect us to be challenging for at LEAST the playoffs next season.

EDIT: Sorry, had to add more.

What about Pearson doesn't convince you that he can get a team promoted? He has built a fantastic side at Hull and if he was still there I would expect them to be in the playoffs at this point in time. In his first season in the Championship with us, we were penalties away from a playoff final. These are tangible results, whereas Sven never really achieved anything in his tenure here. You seem to have a bit of a chip on your shoulder about Pearson.

As for the teams being promoted and relegated to the Championship, why should we fear them? Out of the promoted teams this season, Southampton have obviously done well, but how did they fare against us? As for the teams that will be relegated? I personally think West Ham this season and Newcastle the season before are much better sides than the likely relegation mix of this season, why should we fear any of them either? If anything, we've got a reputation of upping our game against teams like these. If anything, it's the middle of the road teams we seem to struggle against.

Last edited:

The Old Fox

....What about Pearson doesn't convince you that he can get a team promoted?....

Pearson is 48. He has been in management for 14 years and the best that he has achieved is that play off place. The fact is; he did jump ship from Hull - and their form has not declined since. I do not know how many of the current Hull team are Pearson finds but; where are all the great signings he made whilst at Leicester the first time? Surely, even if we were too stupid to appreciate them, they have gone on to greatness elsewhere.

The Major

Pearson is 48. He has been in management for 14 years and the best that he has achieved is that play off place. The fact is; he did jump ship from Hull - and their form has not declined since. I do not know how many of the current Hull team are Pearson finds but; where are all the great signings he made whilst at Leicester the first time? Surely, even if we were too stupid to appreciate them, they have gone on to greatness elsewhere.
Pearson won the league 1 title.

Macky

Gruntled Member
I don't care. I refuse to believe that Pearson is anything other than a good for nothing charlatan and a spoofer. Facts are immaterial to my opinion. He eats babies, did you know that?

He does not eat babies. They give him indigestion.

Redditch Fox

As I said at the start of this season - I expected us to be competing with another 10 teams for promotion. There has been far too much silly talk about us p-ssing this league and I expect a reeat of this nonsense in the run up for next season. The reality is that it's going to be difficult again. If the players you mention can get regular Premier League football - my answer is let them go. But I'm with those that doubt if more than one of those you mention is in that bracket. Even Schmeichel seems to have had his card marked by the top clubs as not quite good enough......possibly 6' 1" is these days regarded on the small side for a keeper just like Hart at about 6' 5" was preferred by Man City to Shay Given.

Sven's team buckled every time they got near the play off positions and I believe that Pearson's teams are made of sterner stuff. I don't think that Pearson is going to be the new Ferguson but Sven was out of his comfort zone in this league and sadly has probably now run out of lucrative jobs.

Blue Maniac

Alzheimers sufferer
I like the majority didn't at first.
Anyone who saw his shaky performance at Coventry (which I accept probably doesn't include you), where his most impressive move was to hand a superb goalscoring opportunity to Sammy Clingan (who didn't take it because he's shit) knew from the off that he was capable of being crap. We kept a clean sheet that day despite, not because of, Mills.

indierich06

He completely rebuilt that Hull side. When he took over they had a load of old duffers on massive wages. It took time, but now they've got a vibrant young squad who look good value for a playoff place. Also, if we're going on ability and history in the Championship, then he certainly has Sven beaten. His management record is outstanding, but it simply didn't work out for him here. In my opinion he underestimated this league and overestimated the talent of the players he signed.

I'm glad we've got Pearson in personally, I think he's the right man for the job and I'm quite optimistic for next season now.

Willlow

Anyone who saw his shaky performance at Coventry (which I accept probably doesn't include you), where his most impressive move was to hand a superb goalscoring opportunity to Sammy Clingan (who didn't take it because he's shit) knew from the off that he was capable of being crap. We kept a clean sheet that day despite, not because of, Mills.

That is exactly the same as St Ledger's first game for us against Bristol City. His most impressive move was to give the ball away to Maynard for their second goal. I knew from the off he was capable of being crap (do you have to be capable of being crap are you not just crap?).

Luckily Leicester saw sense and dropped him and then he was put up for loan... wait a minute this sounds familiar...

Last edited:

Micky

IMO that is nonsence. I could name plenty of managers who were 'little' and are now regarded as top managers. I believe Mr O'Neill would have been regarded as a 'little' manager in his Grantham town days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669