Matt Mills

Status
Not open for further replies.

bocadillo

Water Gypsy
Depends on the organization Rich. Certainly there are plenty of organizations that encourage open dialogue between employees and management. I prefer to work in an environment like that (even as a manager) and they are becoming more common.

You seen to have omitted your answer to indierich's question about Ferguson, Clough and O'Neill.

glyn

Said on Sky that NP gave a very curt answer to a question about mills before the game, did anyone see what was asked?

Mawsley

Cheers. I think it's fair to say things aren't great between them.

I think it is fair to say that from that interview Pearson is clear about his style of management and anything else is speculation based on Duzza's post.

OldGit

I think it is fair to say that from that interview Pearson is clear about his style of management and anything else is speculation based on Duzza's post.

Stop being sensible. It doesn't suit you.

Izzet 6

We'll know in the next few games if Mills has a future.

Right now it seems he's 4th choice CB.

Lako42

Game over, see you Mills....

David Gwilliam

. How do you think Alex Ferguson would handle it? Or Brian Clough? Or Martin O'Neill? I certainly don't think any of them would take it.

If I went up to my boss at work and told him I didn't think he was using the right team members for a certain task, I'd get told in no uncertain terms that it's none of my business.

As for Brian Clough I remember Martin O'Neill, no shrinking violet, saying that "If you even had a dream in which you had argued tactics with Brian Clough you would wake up in a sweat desperate to apologise."

Outside football I would expect experienced employees to suggest ways of making things work better. This of course should never be done as criticism and should be done privately.

indierich06

As for Brian Clough I remember Martin O'Neill, no shrinking violet, saying that "If you even had a dream in which you had argued tactics with Brian Clough you would wake up in a sweat desperate to apologise."

Outside football I would expect experienced employees to suggest ways of making things work better. This of course should never be done as criticism and should be done privately.

With regards to Clough too, there was the famous quote about players who disagreed with him; "We sit down and talk about it for twenty minutes and then we decide I was right."

My point is that Mills has only been here for a few months and Pearson knows the players that were here during his first spell inside out, who is Matt Mills to decide that he suddenly knows better?

Like a few have said recently, he should look to his own performances before criticising those of others. If he was our standout performer, he might be in a better position to make suggestions on how we could improve our performance as a team. As it stands, he's been one of the weakest links in our side, his attitude has been poor, his sendings off have almost certainly cost us points this season too...

I've given him a long time to step up and impress me, but I've finally gotten sick of him. His attitude is the worst thing for me, bickering with officials, getting needless cards, blaming everyone but himself for his poor performances. If he had a great attitude and was visibly putting effort in I think people would have a lot more time for him.

Mike - True Blue Tinter

Depends on the organization Rich. Certainly there are plenty of organizations that encourage open dialogue between employees and management. I prefer to work in an environment like that (even as a manager) and they are becoming more common.

But mostly where employees have fixed roles and discussion is about doing there job better. Here we are in a position where 30 employees are primarily concerned with 'Pick me, pick me!' claims in order to get large appearance bonuses, and that sensible discussion about overall strategy and the bigger picture for the team may come a distant second.

spionfox

OK, question time.

Can anybody name me a worse full time regular Leicester City team captain than Matt Mills?

Take your time........................

indierich06

OK, question time.

Can anybody name me a worse full time regular Leicester City team captain than Matt Mills?

Take your time........................

Stephen Clemence was pretty bad seeing as under his captaincy we slipped into the third tier for the first time in our history and then he promptly never played for us again, but somehow remained club captain for the whole of our League One season, with Oakley filling in IIRC?

Profondo Rosso

He didn't play for us again because he was injured, so that's harsh. Clemence was just a meh captain, he doesn't really have the attitude and disciplinary problems Mills clearly has to with his lack of leadership. The thing they have in common is they were both ridiculously made captain as soon as they signed, when the manager really had no idea of their leadership skills, rather than giving it to someone already here who the manager already knows is a good leader/organiser on the pitch.

In hindsight I actually think Oakley may have been really underrated as captain, the midfield has never quite looked as cohesive and organised since he has been out of the team, wonder whether he had anything to do with that.

indierich06

He didn't play for us again because he was injured, so that's harsh. Clemence was just a meh captain, he doesn't really have the attitude and disciplinary problems Mills clearly has to with his lack of leadership. The thing they have in common is they were both ridiculously made captain as soon as they signed, when the manager really had no idea of their leadership skills, rather than giving it to someone already here who the manager already knows is a good leader/organiser on the pitch.

In hindsight I actually think Oakley may have been really underrated as captain, the midfield has never quite looked as cohesive and organised since he has been out of the team, wonder whether he had anything to do with that.

I think Oakley was actually a pretty decent captain. But like you say, I'm being a bit harsh on Clemence probably. We just seem to have had a string of captains over the past few years who were a bit useless really. Prior to our League One season, who was the last really good captain we had?

indierich06

This is our list of captains according to wikipedia:

1987–1992 Ali Mauchlen
1992–1993 Steve Walsh
1993–1994 Gary Mills
1994–1999 Steve Walsh
1999–2005 Matt Elliott
2005–2006 Danny Tiatto
2006–2007 Paddy McCarthy
2007–2008 Stephen Clemence
2008–2011 Matt Oakley
2011 – present Matt Mills

I'd say we haven't had a half decent captain since 2005.

Granite Fox

Are we not in danger of villifying the guy here and picking another scapegoat?

I may not have seen him as many times as most of you (just the TV games), but he hasn't been that bad from what I have seen. He has not been a stand-out performer by any means and has made a few mistakes.

In the games I have seen he has played ok, done some good things and always put in effort and made some brave blocks. His attitude does need addressing and he has let us down with his sending offs (although I thought he was a little unlucky with the first one).

I think Sledge and Morgan looked excellent and I am not saying he should be back in the team, but are we not getting things a little out of perspective sometimes? Is it all because of what we are reported to have paid for him (Sven's issue rather than Mills)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669