Confirmed Transfer Matthew Upson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Matt Upson

Experienced defender Matthew Upson will become the latest addition to Nigel Pearson’s Leicester City squad after agreeing a one-year deal with the Club, starting from 1 July.

Upson’s contract with Championship play-off semi-finalists Brighton and Hove Albion expires this summer, and the in-demand former Arsenal and West Ham United centre half was delighted to agree terms with the Foxes.

The 35-year-old boasts 22 England caps and 447 career appearances, and will bring a wealth of experience to City’s back line ahead of next season’s Premier League campaign.

Upson’s commanding performances at the heart of the Seagulls defence has seen him lead them to two consecutive top-six finishes in the Championship, as well as scooping the Club’s Player of the Year award last month.

The defender initially joined the Seagulls on loan during the second half of the 2012/13 season, before signing a one-year deal last summer after his contract with Stoke City expired.

He went on to make 47 appearances in all competitions for Brighton last season, scoring twice. Suffolk-born Upson’s career began at Luton Town in 1996, where he made his league debut in a 1-0 win over Rotherham before being snapped up by Arsene Wenger’s Arsenal in 1997 for a fee believed to be in the region of £2 million.

Premier League and FA Cup winners’ medals followed for Upson, as well as loan spells with Nottingham Forest, Crystal Palace and Reading, until Birmingham City swooped to secure his services with a £1 million move in January 2003.

During his four years at St Andrew’s, Upson further enhanced his reputation in over 120 appearances, and even earned his first call-up to the full national team.

His debut came under former City boss Sven-Goran Eriksson against South Africa in 2003, with a further six caps coming while at Birmingham.

That impressive form persuaded West Ham to spend a reported £7.5 million to secure his services in January 2007, with Upson again going on to enhance his reputation across nearly 150 games for the Hammers.

Upson scored both of his two England goals while with West Ham, both of which came against Germany. The first was England’s opener in a 2-1 friendly win in November 2008, before scoring the second during the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

The defender stayed with West Ham for four impressive seasons before, following the team’s relegation, he agreed a free transfer to Stoke City in the summer of 2011, after which he joined the Seagulls.

http://www.lcfc.com/news/article/220514-leicester-city-swoop-for-upson-1568635.aspx

Re: Matt Upson

Don't really understand this one, but like I said in the rumours thread, I imagine he'll be 4th choice and is being added to the squad for his experience... But, I can't see him being up to playing in the Premier League.

But I trust Nigel...

Slowest centre half pairing in the league at this rate.

even though we have plenty of centre backs i hope we are soon to sign a phsical quick defender to play alongside Wes

Propper meh signing.

The thought of Upson and Morgan's pace being exposed by the likes Suarez and Sturridge is just frightening!

I wonder if this is a similar signing to Phillips in that he's been brought in to have an impact off the pitch as much as anything? Maybe he'll offered a coaching role next summer too?!

Last edited:
Am I the only one who sees this as a solid addition?

He has over 300 PL appearances, 22 England caps, and won Brighton's player of the season award this year. Not to mention that he is free. We need a defender who has PL experience, he will be able to help the rest and IMO will be a coach at the end of it.

Last edited:
will be a good sub to have in the mix - Brighton haven't had the best defence in the championship for a while for nothing. I see Moore really kicking on this year but needing good role models around him....

Whilst we have been very good this last season, we have shown vulnerability at set pieces.
One thing Upson has been good at is heading and also, commanding his defence.

His experience will be invaluable to a central defence with NO premier league experience.
Looking at this signing as in the same mould as GTF and KP.

Whilst we have been very good this last season, we have shown vulnerability at set pieces.
One thing Upson has been good at is heading and also, commanding his defence.

His experience will be invaluable to a central defence with NO premier league experience.
Looking at this signing as in the same mould as GTF and KP.

Spot on, that's how I'm looking at it. We could comfortably have 5 CB's in the 25 man squad anyway (Moore is under 21 and doesn't count to the 25).

Upson scored both of his two England goals while with West Ham, both of which came against Germany. The first was England’s opener in a 2-1 friendly win in November 2008, before scoring the second during the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

It seems that he's the last player to score for England in a World Cup game. Hopefully that fact will change in a couple of weeks.

I agree that we drastically need improvement in defending of set pieces, just not sure he is able to cope against top opposition on the ground any more.

Am I the only one who sees this as a solid addition?

He has over 300 PL appearances, 22 England caps, and won Brighton's player of the season award this year. Not to mention that he is free. We need a defender who has PL experience, he will be able to help the rest and IMO will be a coach at the end of it.

No..

I agree that we drastically need improvement in defending of set pieces, just not sure he is able to cope against top opposition on the ground any more.

Can any of the smaller clubs... that's why they are the top opposition. We just need to beat the shitter teams, points against the big boys are a bonus.

Would have been disappointed had we signed him in the championship

Utterly ridiculous

Would have been disappointed had we signed him in the championship

Utterly ridiculous

To be fair he played an entire season for Brighton, was their player of the year and was offered a contract extension.

Very much a "KP" type signing.

If his form is back to where it was (and it sounds as though it is based on the player of the year award)...he'll add a great deal of experience and some quality. He's also left-footed, which is underrated and quite important for balance between the central defenders.

I'd doubt he is first choice, but will add some quality depth.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570