Milan and the Mirror no longer mates?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quite rightly so. If i was Milan i'd sue as well, the story was typical tabloid bullshit.

It was something about Mandaric sacking Allan after he saved the life of Clive Clarke.

This was total Bullshit as Allan himself had said it was all Dave Rennie and Damien Doyle and the Paramedics.

Last edited:
well Kisnorbo has been talking to them today.

I'm sure Milan will continue to use the Mirror as its a great way to make the fans think were going to buy big name players.

This must be the 'Heartless' story that was all over their back page yesterday.

Probably - but there didn't seem much that could be libellous in it. Ruthless and, given the context, heartless would both be fair comment.

Heroic Allen is sacked
Mandaric sacks boss Allen 18 hrs after he saves life of defender Clarke in dressing room.
Exclusive by James Nursey 30/08/2007

Ruthless Leicester owner Milan Mandaric sacked Martin Allen yesterday just hours after the manager helped save the life of Clive Clarke by giving him mouth-to-mouth resuscitation.

Allen, only appointed the Foxes boss in late May, was one of the first on the scene when Clarke, 27, collapsed after a heart attack at half-time in Tuesday night's Carling Cup tie at Nottingham Forest. Allen attempted mouth-to-mouth to revive Clarke after the defender lost consciousness in the dressing room.

Allen, 42, said: "I'm fine. But a lad nearly died on Tuesday night and 24 hours later I've been told to leave.

"It is very strange after four games, two wins, one draw and one defeat but I can't say any more for legal reasons."

Clarke's heart stopped beating twice and paramedics at the City Ground eventually got Clarke breathing again by using a defibrillator.

Dubliner Clarke, on loan from Sunderland, is now in a stable condition at Nottingham's Queen's Medical Centre undergoing further tests.

But Allen's brave role in the terrifying drama has not spared him from the axe following a series of rows with Mandaric.

The colourful chairman, who took control in February after selling his Portsmouth stake for £25m, fired Allen yesterday morning before visiting Clarke in the afternoon.

Ex-Brentford and Barnet boss Allen, who has brought in 14 players this summer at Leicester, was last night coming to terms with an astonishing series of events.

Leicester, who are ninth in the Championship, were losing 1-0 at Forest on Tuesday before the match was abandoned and have put academy manager Jon Rudkin, coach Steve Beaglehole and goalkeeping guru Mike Stowell in charge for Saturday's game at Plymouth.

Chelsea reserve team coach Brendan Rodgers is the surprise name in the frame with Gary Megson and Neil Warnock also on the list of candidates.

Mandaric is now looking for his fourth manager in six months at Leicester after releasing a statement about Allen's exit saying there was a "difference of visions".

Allen's final result was a 4-1 home win over Watford on Saturday when Clarke played 90 minutes.

And Mandaric is hoping the defender makes a full recovery after claiming Clarke was yesterday talking with staff and family.

"It is encouraging news that he is stabilising and has sat up and spoke and is quite comfortable and resting," revealed Mandaric after visiting the player yesterday.

"While everybody at the club was hit by the sadness caused by such a tragic incident, we have now been lifted by the remarkable progress Clive has made over the last 24 hours.

Well there are a couple of mistruths in there. Allen didn't give mouth to mouth.

MM clearly said it wasn't to do with the results on the pitch, suggesting that behind the scenes lay the problem

The Mirror has branded MM heartless for sacking MA, we still do not know the full reason.

He would of probably got the sack on Wednesday regardless.

I don't see how it could be considered defamatory to mistakenly state that Allen gave mouth-to-mouth. If the article had alleged that Mandaric tried to stop someone from resuscitating Clarke, then there'd be a problem. 'Ruthless' and 'heartless' are emotive words, but that's what tabloids deal in. This one looks difficult to prove to me.

I don't see how it could be considered defamatory to mistakenly state that Allen gave mouth-to-mouth. If the article had alleged that Mandaric tried to stop someone from resuscitating Clarke, then there'd be a problem. 'Ruthless' and 'heartless' are emotive words, but that's what tabloids deal in. This one looks difficult to prove to me.

Not sure about that - asserting that Mandaric was 'heartless' because his actions (sacking Allen) were in contradiction of something that never actually happened

Sounds like a good case to me

Either way it adds to the 'Leicester City = Laughing Stock' situation that we currently find ourselves in

Last edited:
I did essential law for journalists in my first year at uni, but I was pretty crap at it. However, I've consulted an old text book very briefly and I reckon:

The article would lead people to believe that MM was a nasty piece of work and that he wasn't really bothered about waiting until CC's condition improved before sacking MA.

It's certainly damaging to his reputation, so I think he'd have a case. I reckon he'd have to state categorically why he sacked MA and that the decision had already been made (which it most probably had) before CC's collapse for them to print a retraction, not sure though.

Maybe we'll finally find out the truth if this goes to court! Mind you, neither party will want to go to court over something like this, it's hardly watergate is it?

What is it supposed to prove? Anybody with half a brain cell questions anything written in a newspaper, particularly of the tabloid variety. Whateve the outcome, Milan will simply lead those without the pre-requisit fifty per cent of a neuron link to think thst there is no smoke without fire.

I wonder if its true......... :confused:

It's a shame they didn't threaten to sue over the La Manga allegations. They would have had a much better chance of a pay-out on that one.

True, but you wouldn't get a great deal of money from a group of hookers!

I can see MM's POV but think it's pretty daft to persue for deformation of character through the courts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669