More borrowing

It really is all in on promotion this year.

No promotion this season and we will be in serious trouble.

And that's exactly why I'm being ultra challenging about Maresca so far.

Every managerial appointment is a gamble but this one is extreme. We literally cannot afford for him to do anything other than get us up this season. We've put everything on trusting that he knows what he's doing.

And that's exactly why I'm being ultra challenging about Maresca so far.

Every managerial appointment is a gamble but this one is extreme. We literally cannot afford for him to do anything other than get us up this season. We've put everything on trusting that he knows what he's doing.
Isn't that what being a manager is all about?

Isn't that what being a manager is all about?

Every time a club appoint a manager, you would assume that they believe that they've selected the best person for the challenge, within whatever confines exist.

Most of these decisions prove to be wrong. That's why most Championship managers were sacked during the course of last season for example.

Pearson was the last manager we appointed in the Championship and it took him 3.5 years over two spells to get us up. Before Pearson, I count that there were 7 previous appointments in the Championship that didn't get us promotion. Adams was the last one successful before Pearson.

Adams, O'Neill and Milne are the only ones I can see (within the last 50 years) that got us up at the first opportunity.

For Maresca to join this list he has the advantage of a massive budget in comparison to our rivals. However, I'd argue that he's handicapping us by insisting on a way of playing that requires him to exclude potentially excellent Championship players.

If it works, fine. I will be delighted to be shown that my fears were unfounded. I want him to succeed. But there is no way I'd have gambled this much on the financial future of the club.

Every time a club appoint a manager, you would assume that they believe that they've selected the best person for the challenge, within whatever confines exist.

Most of these decisions prove to be wrong. That's why most Championship managers were sacked during the course of last season for example.

Pearson was the last manager we appointed in the Championship and it took him 3.5 years over two spells to get us up. Before Pearson, I count that there were 7 previous appointments in the Championship that didn't get us promotion. Adams was the last one successful before Pearson.

Adams, O'Neill and Milne are the only ones I can see (within the last 50 years) that got us up at the first opportunity.

For Maresca to join this list he has the advantage of a massive budget in comparison to our rivals. However, I'd argue that he's handicapping us by insisting on a way of playing that requires him to exclude potentially excellent Championship players.

If it works, fine. I will be delighted to be shown that my fears were unfounded. I want him to succeed. But there is no way I'd have gambled this much on the financial future of the club.
So exactly who would you have signed that was available?

I do not have a problem with the way the owners borrow money.
Over the years they have converted £100s of millions of loans into equity, effectively saying ‘we will only get our money back if the club substantially increases in value’

I’m guessing they won’t be borrowing any sums to expand the stadium any time soon. That seems to have gone stone dead.

I’m guessing they won’t be borrowing any sums to expand the stadium any time soon. That seems to have gone stone dead.

Do the club own the stadium? I thought I heard it was owned by KP? That might have been the WOTS and I'm leaving it up to you guys to do the googling for me.

Do the club own the stadium? I thought I heard it was owned by KP? That might have been the WOTS and I'm leaving it up to you guys to do the googling for me.

KP own the stadium and Seagrave. Belvoir Drive is owned by LCFC.

Therefore, if KP divest themselves of the club, it is up to them what they do with their assets. They could sell them as part of any deal or not. Several clubs have seen things like stadiums held by former owners.

I've not heard anything about KP trying to sell recently. Keiran Maguire did report that we were one of a few PL clubs that were looking for a sale or outside investment last year. I think he said we'd been 'on the market' for two years. I read one report of Aiyawatt looking for partners from Kuwait at one point but no idea on the validity of it. Maybe KP wanted partners to help fund the stadium development, maybe they wanted to sell entirely. Maybe relegation has scuppered it all, maybe not.

If the club went belly up due to debts that KP were no longer prepared to cover, they could separate out the two main assets from administrators. That would massively reduce the valuation of the club and the chances of us attracting a decent new owner.

All conjecture as long as KP are prepared to throw their money away on us. The interesting change recently is the involvement of Vichai's wife/Aiyawatt's mother. She now has a company with financial arrangements with LCFC and, with her shares in KP, Aiyawatt can no longer do what he wants with LCFC. He needs his mother, as well as other family members, to agree.

Therefore, if KP divest themselves of the club, it is up to them what they do with their assets. They could sell them as part of any deal or not. Several clubs have seen things like stadiums held by former owners.

yep. There was a fan led review wasn't there to prevent such problems...tumbleweed tumbleweed etc etc

Pretending that Top loves the club etc then this sort of thing could be beneficial as borrowings would be separate. So there's upsides to the risk. Being a prem team will always help with the selling price of the club too, last season (plus a bit) was a mental direction to choose.

yep. There was a fan led review wasn't there to prevent such problems...tumbleweed tumbleweed etc etc

Pretending that Top loves the club etc then this sort of thing could be beneficial as borrowings would be separate. So there's upsides to the risk. Being a prem team will always help with the selling price of the club too, last season (plus a bit) was a mental direction to choose.
I would say I don’t think we “chose” being relegated but… Brodgers staying means we definitely did

I can sort of understand why people might chase the riches of top tier football in England (wouldn’t put my money on it, though), but am I being thick in not understanding the point of this exercise? I can’t imagine Belgian football is awash with cash, but maybe I’m missing something, so why do it?

I can sort of understand why people might chase the riches of top tier football in England (wouldn’t put my money on it, though), but am I being thick in not understanding the point of this exercise? I can’t imagine Belgian football is awash with cash, but maybe I’m missing something, so why do it?
Can their losses somehow be offset against ours?

In theory it gives you access to a network of scouts, coaches, young players, a place to send your own youngsters to gain experience and pre brexit we would have been somewhere for players to gain EU citizenship (if you were willing to wait five years).

We’ve done none of that though, so yeah it’s been pointless unless it’s just for some sponsorships and moving cash around somehow.

In theory it gives you access to a network of scouts, coaches, young players, a place to send your own youngsters to gain experience and pre brexit we would have been somewhere for players to gain EU citizenship (if you were willing to wait five years).

We’ve done none of that though, so yeah it’s been pointless unless it’s just for some sponsorships and moving cash around somehow.
Yep agree.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566
9Coventry City4464