Moving to Aus

Status
Not open for further replies.

FryattFox

The Mrs & I are thinking of moving out to Aus in 2013; probably Melbourne. Has anyone here lived in Melbourne or has strong opinions either way on moving Down Under?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to continue the hijacking of this thread, but the Mrs & I are thinking of moving out to Aus in 2013; probably Melbourne. Has anyone here lived in Melbourne or has strong opinions either way on moving Down Under?

I have strong opinions about moving to Australia

I would not do it for a number of reasons.

1. It is a long way from family and, no matter how much they've been pissing me off this month, the last time we did it we missed them dreadfully.

2. Friends, pretty much as point 1

3. Australians like Vegimite

4. The big spiders which live under toilet seats

5. I think spending my days upside-down would be disorienting

6. Mr Udegawa is a ****

7. Marsupials are plain wrong

8. I have a dog to return sticks, I don't need them to do it themselves

9. Regarding comedy: Mrs Merton > a bucket of shit > Edna Everage

10. They aren't employing people like me

Never been to Melbourne, I heard the winter is bad there. Winters aren't as bad as back home but Australians believe in single glazed drafty houses with no central heating. Feckin madness.

People from Victoria like AFL which to me is an absurd game.

Most Leicester fans I have chatted to over here have fond memories of Peter Taylor.

Well I've recently arrived in Perth after years of nearly doing it FF. I have to say it is the perfect time to come to Australia as it really is booming, and it is at least partly protected from instability in Europe and the US. For example the company I work for has $10bn of work coming in in the next year and a bit. Companies fight to get the employee here, rather than the UK where on the whole the employees fight to get the job. Interviews are a bit like sales brochures for the company as they try to convince you to sign for them and not a competitor. We turned up without work and found great jobs in no time at all.

Where you should go depends on what you do for a living really. I work in engineering so Perth is the best place to be in the world right now. Because of the boom it can be VERY expensive here, a beer will cost me $10 or more, and that's not the expensive bars. East coast is a bit cheaper. On the up side, salaries are mind boggling here and are only going to go up due to staff shortages. We came here for a change and adventure and 2 months in can see it will change our lives even if we don't stay too long as the money is that good.

Other points!
The weather is on the whole very nice (and it's only Spring yet)
It's greener and more lush than you'd expect.
Leicester are on TV regularly enough, as are Championship highlights shows.
The girls wear very little here (don't mention that bit to Mrs FF).
The beaches are amazing.
Skegness is no longer your holiday destination, Bali is.

Apart from the cost of living worth bearing in mind the ever worsening exchange rate when bringing GBP over here. It will disappear in scarily quick time.
It is far from home so you will miss people, but being on the West coast means I have an extra 2 hours of GMT to chat to people back home.
Pubs aren't quite the same.
Sharks eat you.
There are spiders the size of your head, though I haven't seen one yet.

Sure there are loads of other points too. Feel free to ask. I would say on the whole, if you can get in on the boom then don't hesitate. Even if you can tag along without working in the boom industries, your salaries will be higher so it's worth considering. If you don't work in anything that might have inflated wages because of the boom, then it might be hard.

Spent 10 months living is Oz last year, love it, If I could live there permenantly I would leave this shit hole of a country behind and do it in a heartbeat. Oz is so advanced socially than we are, they really know how to live out there, they have a very different attitude to work, they work quite hard but play much much harder.

As far as Melbourne is concerned I only spent a few weeks there and the weather could only be described as total dog shit. I much preferred Brisbane to most other cities in Oz, big city with a small city feel, and amazing things right on the doorstep.

Do It mate, take the plunge, hopefully I'll be able to do it myself one day.

Reasons not to..

1. Waking up to this........

Spider.jpg

The babies are the size of our larger common house spider. The mum is the size of a dog.

The prosecution rests.

Last edited:
Aussie women are right mucky sorts

Case closed.......

Well I've recently arrived in Perth after years of nearly doing it FF. I have to say it is the perfect time to come to Australia as it really is booming, and it is at least partly protected from instability in Europe and the US. For example the company I work for has $10bn of work coming in in the next year and a bit. Companies fight to get the employee here, rather than the UK where on the whole the employees fight to get the job. Interviews are a bit like sales brochures for the company as they try to convince you to sign for them and not a competitor. We turned up without work and found great jobs in no time at all.

Where you should go depends on what you do for a living really. I work in engineering so Perth is the best place to be in the world right now. Because of the boom it can be VERY expensive here, a beer will cost me $10 or more, and that's not the expensive bars. East coast is a bit cheaper. On the up side, salaries are mind boggling here and are only going to go up due to staff shortages. We came here for a change and adventure and 2 months in can see it will change our lives even if we don't stay too long as the money is that good.

Other points!
The weather is on the whole very nice (and it's only Spring yet)
It's greener and more lush than you'd expect.
Leicester are on TV regularly enough, as are Championship highlights shows.
The girls wear very little here (don't mention that bit to Mrs FF).
The beaches are amazing.
Skegness is no longer your holiday destination, Bali is.

Apart from the cost of living worth bearing in mind the ever worsening exchange rate when bringing GBP over here. It will disappear in scarily quick time.
It is far from home so you will miss people, but being on the West coast means I have an extra 2 hours of GMT to chat to people back home.
Pubs aren't quite the same.
Sharks eat you.
There are spiders the size of your head, though I haven't seen one yet.

Sure there are loads of other points too. Feel free to ask. I would say on the whole, if you can get in on the boom then don't hesitate. Even if you can tag along without working in the boom industries, your salaries will be higher so it's worth considering. If you don't work in anything that might have inflated wages because of the boom, then it might be hard.

Thanks for the detailed reply. I will be moving out with work so that's one aspect that I don't need to worry about, although I'll need to check what the salary is out there. From the research that I've done, I think Melbourne is where we want to go. We both enjoy British weather (!) and so the idea of our weather with marginally more sun and rain sounds about right. And we wouldn't be coming out with any savings so that won't be an issue (un)fortunately.

I must admit though, Rhydal's spider is freaking me the **** out...

although I'll need to check what the salary is out there

I can tell you this much, It will be considerably more than what you earn here, the salaries out there are huge, even fairly average types of work reqard well compared to here, however, the living costs are much much higher.

I must admit though, Rhydal's spider is freaking me the **** out...
I was in Queensland for a year and never saw anything that size and certainly nothing dangerous. Unless you're out in the bush and you're a complete dumbass you'll be fine.

FFS, we all know they have spiders, it's logical they reproduce. There is no need to give us photographic proof.

NO NEED!!

Or at least give me a three post warning, so I can leave this thread.

Thank you.

FFS, we all know they have spiders, it's logical they reproduce. There is no need to give us photographic proof.

NO NEED!!

Thank you.
Spiders were mentioned in post #4. Surely you knew it was only a matter of time.
If you turn the picture upside down it looks like it's in the corner of your room....

I keep reading the thread title as Moving To Anus.

I'm guessing that says an awful lot about me.

Last edited:

NO NEED!!

Thank you.

I wouldn't worry too much, It's fake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673