New ex-players (and managers) thread

his intention was to win the ball, not to injure the player

The notion that a player can be first to the ball and then it is up to his opponent to get out of the way of anything that follows is very outdated.

his intention was to win the ball, not to injure the player

'Intention' is irrelevant. 'Endangering safety' is the operative phrase and therefore the ref had little option.

I can see that red being rescinded.

Three game ban. He'll miss the start of next season if Brighton don't get to Wembley

Ok, then perhaps you can humour me and show me the rule that states that winning the ball studs first is irrelevant if the victim arrive too late and gets clattered.

Law 12 - A player is guilty of serious foul play if he uses excessive force or brutality against an opponent when challenging for the ball when it is in play. A tackle that endangers the safety of an opponent must be sanctioned as serious foul play. Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force and endangering the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.

Now you show me where it says that the 'victim' has to get out of the way.

'Endangering safety' is the operative phrase and therefore the ref had little option

So why did the ref originally pull the yellow card????

Indeed, you're right with regards to Law 12.......if we can agree that there was "excessive force or brutality" or that you can "tackle" a loose ball.

He made a genuine attempt to win the ball, he won the ball, his foot wasn't high...it just wasn't a foul in my eyes. His opponent getting injured was unfortunate, but doesn't necessarily equate to a bad challenge.

I wonder exactly what a football finance expert does and how often he or she is called upon to do it?

Well they are not very good at it. One said we would be financially better off coming second as we still get all the money but do have to pay win bonuses!

Who the feck remembers who came second! The value of the world-wide publicity of being champions is possibly incalculable!

Conrad Logan has just made a major cock-up and conceded in the Scottish play-offs.

He made a genuine attempt to win the ball, he won the ball, his foot wasn't high...it just wasn't a foul in my eyes. His opponent getting injured was unfortunate, but doesn't necessarily equate to a bad challenge.
Bullshit, it was a terrible tackle and in my opinion he did intend harm. Frankly it could have been worse I have seen broken legs from tackles like that.

Bullshit, it was a terrible tackle and in my opinion he did intend harm. Frankly it could have been worse I have seen broken legs from tackles like that.

It's a contact sport. I'd suggest sticking to netball.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669
9Coventry City4664
10Preston 4663