New Radiohead Album Out In 10 Days!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melton Fox

Dancing Queen
So effectively you can buy this album for a pound, a penny, or even get it for free.

Good stance by Radiohead this one, I suppose as a reward for this they may also get this album to the top of the album charts, I bet they'd never thought of that :icon_wink

Good move or bad move?, I guess it could feck up the music industry good and proper.

Is it a case of a group giving something back to it's fans, a case of the group turning it's back on the music industry, a case of trying to get the album to number one, or just a pretentious band climbing further up their own arse?

Dunno.

highland fox

Radiohead are not pretentious at all:icon_conf

homer

Do they have a deal where they pay you to listen to it ?

I'd want fifty quid at least

highland fox

Do they have a deal where they pay you to listen to it ?

I'd want fifty quid at least

You'd pay to watch the Sex Pistols now though so does your opinion really count:102:

Joe_Fox

What is a discbox?

Joe_Fox

Is this a hoax?

Seems a bit odd - not willing to put my credit card details into that website as it seems a little bit dodgy.

Discuss.

Melton Fox

Dancing Queen
I tried to do that in post 2 Joe, but the art of discussion seems to be dying. I guess you should call somebody a name it will generate much more of a response.

Personally I'm a born cynic, I see Radiohead doing this for a reason other than fans deciding how much they wish to pay for the album. Don't know what it is though, that's if there is any other reason of course.

I don't trust is it to be as it appears

Jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Similar to the thing where Prince gave away his new album with the Mail on Sunday. Once artists get to a certain level they don't need to worry about money, and they get a relatively small percentage of the selling price of CDs and downloads so they may as well go down a different route.

The problem with this is if people start expecting to get music for free it could hurt new bands or lesser known bands who rely on the income selling CDs brings, particularly those that can't make a living by performing live.

Melton Fox

Dancing Queen
The problem with this is if people start expecting to get music for free it could hurt new bands or lesser known bands who rely on the income selling CDs brings, particularly those that can't make a living by performing live.
The general consumer is stupid, that's what I've always been taught, and in my experience it's bang on.

If they see radiohead can give stuff away for free, they'll automatically assume the smaller bands/artists are ripping them off and refuse to pay for their music, or demand a low price.

Not a good move by Radiohead, they are working against the trade that made them.

highland fox

The Charlatans are doing the same thing I believe.Alan McGee their manager said that very few people buy Cds these days and giving the album away free would create more money through merchandise and ticket sales for the Tour.There is an article about it in todays Independent

Last edited:

is it a fox?

They aren't signed to a record label so they decide to release it independently on their own. I don't see the problem. It gets rid of the possibility of it leaking online prior to it's release and it's giving something back to the fans. It won't be eligible for the charts as it won't be released in the shops or itunes or whatever .

Profondo Rosso

Apparently it will be released on just normal CD in early 2008, though that £40 boxset including 2 CD's, 2 vinyls and various artwork comes out just before Christmas (big coincidence)

Anyways, i like this idea, it's a big **** you to the record companies, though i guess not being on one helps :icon_wink I can't see it catching on though

Oh, and the tracklisting for the CD (and i guess vinyl) is:

15 STEP
BODYSNATCHERS
NUDE
WEIRD FISHES/ARPEGGI
ALL I NEED
FAUST ARP
RECKONER
HOUSE OF CARDS
JIGSAW FALLING INTO PLACE
VIDEOTAPE

Joe_Fox