Pre Match Newcastle v Leicester

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go and rub it in their brainwashed fans’ ugly faces.

Should be an interesting side, this.

We have 5 matches in the next 15 days of April, basically playing every 3 days.

I would imagine we use a large swath of our squad. At a minimum starts for:

Justin
Soyuncu
Amartey
Thomas (boo, hiss)
Mendy
Daka
Perez

We could, and probably should, see one of the U23s get a game soon in midfield. We are a little light there without Soumare as an option.

Head-to-head

• Leicester City have won five league games in a row at St James' Park.
  • Newcastle's last Premier League home win over Leicester was by 1-0 in October 2014.
  • The Foxes have nine victories from their previous 12 Premier League meetings with Newcastle, including by 4-0 in the reverse fixture this season.

Newcastle United

• Newcastle are aiming to win five consecutive home league games for the first time since March 2019.
  • Eddie Howe's side have lost just once in 10 Premier League home matches since he was appointed in November (W5, D4).
  • The Magpies have lost six of their past seven top-flight fixtures on a Sunday.
  • Newcastle have scored a league-high 13 goals from set pieces this season, excluding penalties.

Leicester City

• Leicester City have won four of their last six league games (D1, L1).
  • However, the Foxes have suffered five defeats in their previous seven Premier League away matches (W1, D1).
  • Brendan Rodgers' side have conceded a league-high 21 goals from set-piece situations this season.
  • Rodgers has lost just once at St James' Park in six Premier League visits as a manager (W3, D2).
  • James Maddison has three goals and two assists from six top-flight appearances against Newcastle.

Didn’t realize they were so good at home in recent weeks. Will be a tougher match than we are used to against these.

Personally, I'd send a few of our harder workers on holiday for a few days. The team I'd go with for this game would be the same I'd go with against Everton too. Wholesale changes and put some of the kids on the bench.

Then bring it all together to start our strongest line up against Villa at home as preparation for the Roma first leg. Then rotate completely again for Spurs.

For Newcastle and Everton, I'd do something like this:

Schmeichel
Amartey Vestergaard Soyuncu
Justin Choudhury Mendy Thomas
Perez Daka Lookman

Personally, I'd send a few of our harder workers on holiday for a few days. The team I'd go with for this game would be the same I'd go with against Everton too. Wholesale changes and put some of the kids on the bench.

Then bring it all together to start our strongest line up against Villa at home as preparation for the Roma first leg. Then rotate completely again for Spurs.

Schmeichel
Perez Daka Lookman
He’s not going to change shape though. I also see these games as a good opportunity to try and get Barnes some form going.

Schmeichel
Perez Daka Lookman
Daka......
**** that for a game of soldiers.

Schmeichel
Perez Daka Lookman
Christ on a bike. Shall we just not turn up instead?

Christ on a bike. Shall we just not turn up instead?

I still think that line up can win.

11 games in 5 weeks is the toughest finish to a season for any side in the country, probably the toughest in Europe.

It is inconceivable that we can play the same players each time. We have to pick out the lower priority matches for wholesale changes - I see these as Newcastle, Everton A and H and Spurs.

The two Roma games are the priority and where it makes sense to play for wins - Villa, Norwich, Watford, Southampton, we should do so.

We're very unlikely to finish higher than 9th. I'd be disappointed to finish lower than that but the Palace win showed that we don't have to be at full strength to win. The most important factor is keeping a strong and fit squad together.

Referee: Jarred Gillett.
Assistants: Dan Cook, James Mainwaring.
Fourth official: Martin Atkinson.
VAR: Lee Mason.
Assistant VAR: Wade Smith.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490