News of the World phone hacking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven

Met Police and the News of the World not coming out of this looking too rosy. :icon_conf :018:

Mawsley

I do wonder why anybody is shocked?

We have no privacy - our personal data is being sucked from us every moment we do anything and to suppose otherwise is ridiculously naive.

What impact has this 'bugging' had? Wiped a dead girl's messages. Aside from that no one even knew it was happening.

As much as I'm moved to loathe anything remotely connected with Murdoch I also despise the sight of national hysteria. Which leaves me sitting in the middle, with a choc-ice, listening to hyperbole on 5live.

Leesoh

It won't be shut down though, not really. There'll be a replacement, so in effect, a rebranding of the NotW.

I do think that those responsible should and ought to face criminal charges over this, and I hope that they are. But closing the newspaper isn't the answer. Not every journalist or person working for the paper was involved, or even agrees with what's been going on.

As for the boycott, how many numpties will now buy the NotW just because it's going to be the "last" edition? Or to see how it copes without advertising?

Nice work, News International....

Matt_B

I do wonder why anybody is shocked?

We have no privacy - our personal data is being sucked from us every moment we do anything and to suppose otherwise is ridiculously naive.

What impact has this 'bugging' had? Wiped a dead girl's messages. Aside from that no one even knew it was happening.

As much as I'm moved to loathe anything remotely connected with Murdoch I also despise the sight of national hysteria. Which leaves me sitting in the middle, with a choc-ice, listening to hyperbole on 5live.

I'm not caught up in the hyperbole, but the fact that the messages were being listened to and deleted led the parents to believe their daughter was still alive as I understand it, which deserves any flack they get on its own.

Mawsley

I'm not caught up in the hyperbole, but the fact that the messages were being listened to and deleted led the parents to believe their daughter was still alive as I understand it, which deserves any flack they get on its own.

Yes, I understand the regrettable nature of fuelling the parents' hopes but I'm pretty sure that the mindset of all parents in abduction cases is that their child is alive.

I still don't get the level of vilification being dished out in their direction. People are acting as if everyone connected with the NOTW were busy fistfucking the corpse while Rebekah Wade was squatting over the face having a piss.

Real Sharapova

I still don't get the level of vilification being dished out in their direction.
I while back I had the chance to read a book ( of course I forget it's name and the author now ) detailling years of dirty tricks by the News Of The World which made my hair curl, to be honest. To paraphrase the advice of a senior executive to an new, wet behind the ears journalist, " This is what we do.........we destroy people's lives ". This was before the phone hacking saga. They deserve every once of vitriol being throw at them and more. Problem is, in a few month's time, The Sun On Sunday will be launched carrying on exactly as before. Then it will be more of the same old.

The Major

Is this much different from rooting through someone's dustbin?

Don't get me wrong, I don't care what happens to the journalists/executives involved and Murdoch is a cvnt of the first water. What I don't like is the sanctimonious crocodile tears from the other papers/TV who would sell their own mothers for a scoop.

RHYDAL

Not long till the big blow in Iceland. Then no-one will give a toss. They'll just be griping about sleeping on an airport floor when they should be on that dream holiday they've been saving for for over a year, which is in fact a last minute shove it on the card getaway so the neighbours don't think they're a bunch of scratters.

SwedeFox

Won't ever give a penny to the NotW people but will the price you pay for this Sunday's paper go to charity? If so I might get it as it could be interesting to see what they have to say.

Matt_B

I don't buy any papers because they are all idiotic and corrupt. People's hypocrisy annoys me enough. Society moans about invasion of privacy yet flock to buy shitty glossy mags like Heat and Hello. They moan about things like this, yet didn't cause such a stir when it was a celebrities phone. The papers stoop to hideous levels but only to find news that sells. If people didn't want such shocking or gossipy news then the papers wouldn't print it.

Mawsley

Seems a bit of a generalization.

The only bit Beights missed out was that the public love a good clamour as well. "Someone has to go!" they slobber with abject indignation. Whether it is phone-hacking or mass murder, it matters little to the mob.

Me? I'm more concerned about the corrupt coppers. Just not enough to be angry about it.

Matt_B

The only bit Beights missed out was that the public love a good clamour as well. "Someone has to go!" they slobber with abject indignation. Whether it is phone-hacking or mass murder, it matters little to the mob.

Me? I'm more concerned about the corrupt coppers. Just not enough to be angry about it.

I used to love a good bit of apathy, but now I just can't be bothered with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669