Speculation Next Leicester manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
[h=1]O'Neill rules out a Leicester return[/h]Published 22:30 26/10/11 By James Nursey
http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/new...ants-a-Premier-League-job-article821224.html#http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/new...ants-a-Premier-League-job-article821224.html#

Aston-Villa-Martin-O-Neill-cropped

Martin O'Neill has ruled himself out of a sensational return to Leicester.
O'Neill will reluctantly reject a second spell with the Foxes as he wants to work in the Premier League.
The former Celtic and Aston Villa manager emerged as Leicester's No. 1 target after the sacking of Sven Goran Eriksson, but he has told close friends that he fears tarnishing his reputation at a club where he enjoyed five glittering years of success.
The Northern Irishman has been out of work since leaving Villa in August 2010 and is keen to make a return to management, but in the top flight.
Leicester's Thai owners had targeted O'Neill as the manager to lead them to promotion, but will now have to reassess their options.
Former Nottingham Forest and Derby manager Billy Davies has admirers at the King Power Stadium, but vice-chairman Aiyawatt Raksriaksorn is prepared to bide his time before making an appointment.
"I have not decided anything yet. I have to see everyone first and we will decide," he said.
"Maybe you will see soon but I really don't know now who will be the next manager but very soon we will know."

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/new...r-League-job-article821224.html#ixzz1bvYEinPM

Sounds like a rehash of something I read somewhere else today but that didn't have O'Neill ruling himself out. Also not quite sure he can reject something that, as far as we know, he hasn't been offered yet.

'he fears tarnishing his reputation'

How does that work? Sounds like a load of crap to me.

I must say the more I think about it, the more I do warm to Di Matteo, whether he can be lured out of his current job or not remains to be seen.

The Guardian mentions Brian McDermott.... better than a lot of the other names mentioned I think.

Other than MON (and even though I never expected him to return, it's disappointing reading those stories), none of the names mentioned particularly get me excited.

Di Matteo or Poyet lead the way for me, but can't see Poyet being tempted from Brighton really. He's got good backing there anyway and has been building.

If Ince, Shearer, Keane, Grant, Zola, etc, got it I'd be devastated.

It makes sense in amy case. Why risk his near God status and his credibility if he failed here. It would mean the end. There ia no guarantee Top etc will be any more patient with MON than they were with Sven.

He will bide his time until a Premier League club he deems to be big enough for his ego comes along.
Other than his first season with City 15 years ago he has no real experience of the Championship either.

McDermott doesn't particularly excite me. Done well the last couple of seasons with the basis of Steve Coppell's side, but I still think he has something to prove and I while I wouldn't be devustated by the appointment, it would just sort of be: "meh".

I also would be devastated with Ince, Shearer, Grant or Zola though.

Hughes seems ridiculous, seeing as they said they didn't think SGE had Championship experience and after he bizarrely walked out on Fulham I wouldn't trust him. Just what was the point of getting rid of SGE of you're going to hire Hughes?

Lee Clark I don't really know much about, neither does anyone at this level, so I'm not going to make any judgements.

Di Matteo or Davies for me at this stage.

Last edited:
It makes sense in amy case. Why risk his near God status and his credibility if he failed here. It would mean the end. There ia no guarantee Top etc will be any more patient with MON than they were with Sven.

He will bide his time until a Premier League club he deems to be big enough for his ego comes along.
Other than his first season with City 15 years ago he has no real experience of the Championship either.

Amy Case would be crap

According to the Guardian MON is not returning :( nice thought whilst it lasted

Martin O' Neill has ruled out a return to Leicester City, after deciding that it would be a mistake to go back to a club where he enjoyed five years of unprecedented success. The Northern Irishman had refused to dismiss the idea initially and was giving serious consideration to finding out more about the club's potential under their Thai owners but, after weighing up the pros and cons, O'Neill has come to the conclusion that returning would be a risk not worth taking.
O'Neill's decision will come as a disappointment to Leicester supporters, although many will have felt that it was always going to be difficult to tempt back a manager who has been holding out for a Premier League job since he left Aston Villa on the eve of last season. O'Neill, who had been installed as the favourite for the Leicester position as soon as Sven-Goran Eriksson was sacked on Monday, recently said he was not interested in taking charge of Northern Ireland because he was hoping to return to club management.
While O'Neill waits for the right opportunity, Leicester will continue finalising a shortlist for what is viewed as one of the most attractive positions in the Championship. "I have to open my mind now. It is not just what the news or fans want," Aiyawatt Raksriaksorn, the Leicester vice-chairman, said. "I have to listen to everyone and make a decision very carefully. The next manager should be taking us to the Premier League and I think he has to know this league because it's very tough, very tight."
Those words would appear to rule out Mark Hughes and Paul Ince, who have both been linked with the position but have not worked in the second tier. Roy Keane, who won promotion from the Championship with Sunderland, is interested in the job and it is understood that Brian McDermott, the Reading manager, is highly regarded. Simon Grayson, the Leeds United manager and a former Leicester player, and Lee Clark, who has impressed at Huddersfield Town, have both dismissed speculation that they are in the running.

:)

Oh the Sun also reported the same thing...They report the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth as we know...

i couldn't post the link or create a new thread because i have 2 posts to my name! anyone else care to do so?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669