Speculation Nicky Maynard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would imagine Maynard, or his agent at least, would not want the club coming out publically and saying they have rejected bids and will not sell as it could potentially cause Leicester or other clubs not aware of the bids Leicester have put in to come back with other bids. If he wanted a move something like this could potentially upset that, meaning the player (or his agent) may want to force the initiative by requesting a transfer.

If they simply rejected these offers from one club privately, they wouldn't be publicly saying to every chairman or manager in the country that he is not for sale, to which Maynard may have different view.

Last edited:
But he's not going to say that when it will cost him money.
I don't care about players money and he may well do as a move here would most likely benefit him financially in the long run.

Apparently Forest very keen too, especially since having lost Earnshaw. Can't see them forking out the sums that are being bandied about though. I'm not sure what to make of it all really in terms of the transfer fee, Maynard is a good player so I'd like to see him here.

Thing about signing a goalscorer for £5mil is that if he scores the goals that fire us to the Prem he's repaid the transfer fee 20 times over.

Of course that's a big *if*

Last edited:
I don't care about players money and he may well do as a move here would most likely benefit him financially in the long run.
A move here would benefit him even more financially if he doesn't ask for a transfer. Expecting him ( or his agent ) to do that would be naive as he would then kiss goodbye to his share of the transfer fee.

Even £5mill would be a bit over the top in my opinion for a player with no experience any higher than this league, has just come back from a long term injury and only has a yr to run on his current deal. 5 would seem a fair price if he still had a fee years to go but less than 12 months should really give other clubs a big bargaining tool.

You're dead right tho prof, get us the goals to take us up and he'll be worth £60mill or whatever you get for going up just 5 mill seems to be a bit on the high side.

Last edited:
If Maynard wanted to join us, surely he would have done more to indicate this to Brizzle or via his Agent?

I think his official line is that he would only leave Brizzle to move into the Premiership. His proposed new contract would have that stipulation in it, at a price of course.

Alternatively, why have we (presuming it is us) made three offers for a player who has no indication of leaving Brizzle for a Championship team? Could it be that his Agent is saying different to us?

Is this playing us off for a bumper contract or a genuine wish to get him out of Brizzle without losing face with people he'd made statements declaring his commitment to.

Bloomin' confusing this transfer lark.

He's a belting player on his day too. It would be a great signing. Can't see it coming off though.

Even £5mill would be a bit over the top in my opinion for a player with no experience any higher than this league, has just come back from a long term injury and only has a yr to run on his current deal. 5 would seem a fair price if he still had a fee years to go but less than 12 months should really give other clubs a big bargaining tool.

You're dead right tho prof, get us the goals to take us up and he'll be worth £60mill or whatever you get for going up just 5 mill seems to be a bit on the high side.

Indeed. I can't really make my mind up about that price. It's certainly a big risk, but if we're prepared to take that risk and it pays off and he helps us get promoted then it's obviously worth it many times over. Just hope it works out for us, whether we decide to go for it or not.

I still have a feeling we will try and sell Waghorn for a couple of million to recoup some of the fee if we do decide to up the bid and get Maynard, which will relieve some of the financial burden, but we still need some of the budget left over to sign some more defenders as well though.

If Maynard wanted to join us, surely he would have done more to indicate this to Brizzle or via his Agent?

I think his official line is that he would only leave Brizzle to move into the Premiership. His proposed new contract would have that stipulation in it, at a price of course.

Alternatively, why have we (presuming it is us) made three offers for a player who has no indication of leaving Brizzle for a Championship team? Could it be that his Agent is saying different to us?

Is this playing us off for a bumper contract or a genuine wish to get him out of Brizzle without losing face with people he'd made statements declaring his commitment to.

He's a belting player on his day too. It would be a great signing. Can't see it coming off though.

This is also what is making me think that he might not be against a move. If the club were as sure as they are making out that he isn't going to leave, why would we (or whoever it is) continue to make bids? It may not be that he particularly wants to join us of course, just that he isn't against the idea of moving clubs and we are the only club so far to be bidding.

Oh well, I guess we'll find out more in time but it seems an intriguing chase.

Good summing up. Personally, I think he'll sign a new deal with a get-out clause to Premiership clubs. I suspect he'll get as much lolly at Bristol on his new deal than he will here.

Rob Tanner tweeted bout 20 mins ago that 'major developments on Maynard.'

Only passing the message on so no need to shoot the messenger if anyone doesn't like it!!

Last edited:
Or other clubs putting offers in?

Or he has put in a transfer request and Sven/Andrew have made him a deal that will compensate for missing a share of the transfer fee.

I am not sure about him saving face. There are few 'gentlemen' left in football. Most now opt for the Dickov, 30 pieces of silver, route.

I'm sure that's just the offers being rejected.
Aye, I did think it could be that but had already stayed at work for 10 mins longer than I needed so didn't have time to expand any further - don't like the notion of posting on a forum and not getting paid for it!!

According to a Bristol City fan on another forum their local paper is reporting we are set to come back with a £5mil offer today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669